Should I purchase one of these?

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
So I was one of the unfortunate people that bought a Transformer Prime that a lot of issues with GPS and Wireless. I then went to an AT&T Samsung 8.9 but it is sluggish so I am going to buy a new 10 inch.
I want the fastest and best resolution tablet I can buy. I am hoping to find a sale on the Infinity on Friday but wanted to ask for those of you that have had one for awhile if you're happy with it? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks and GO IRISH!
Dean

bill2reg

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine about a month. It shipped with Ice Cream Sandwich but the upgrade to Jelly Bean was immediately available (Settings>About Tablet> Firmware Update) and it was installed without any problems, and last week there was an update to the latest Jelly Bean (4.2). I love the tablet and I have no problems. It's gotten even zippier since the Jelly Bean upgrade and update.

Now, you said that you wanted the highest resolution tablet you can buy. Technically, that would not be the Infinity 700. The iPad (3rd or 4th geneeration) has higher resolution. Also the new Nexus 10 tablet has even higher resolution. But, there are two things I would consider. First of all, the Asus Infinity 700 has a brighter display than the iPad, and is not far behind in actual resolution, so both displays are goo, with my point going to the Asus for brightness. I don't know about the Nexus 10 yet. The other thing to consider is that all of these tablets are already pretty much at the limits of resolving power of the human eye, so now it's getting to be overkill, unless you make a habit of looking at your tablet screen with a magnifying glass to try to see some differences. So my recommendation is to go buy the 700 and enjoy it! Sure in a few months to a year there will be something newer, but meanwhile you'll get to enjpy something that you obviously want! Good luck with whatever you decide.

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I've had mine about a month. It shipped with Ice Cream Sandwich but the upgrade to Jelly Bean was immediately available (Settings>About Tablet> Firmware Update) and it was installed without any problems, and last week there was an update to the latest Jelly Bean (4.2). I love the tablet and I have no problems. It's gotten even zippier since the Jelly Bean upgrade and update.

Now, you said that you wanted the highest resolution tablet you can buy. Technically, that would not be the Infinity 700. The iPad (3rd or 4th geneeration) has higher resolution. Also the new Nexus 10 tablet has even higher resolution. But, there are two things I would consider. First of all, the Asus Infinity 700 has a brighter display than the iPad, and is not far behind in actual resolution, so both displays are goo, with my point going to the Asus for brightness. I don't know about the Nexus 10 yet. The other thing to consider is that all of these tablets are already pretty much at the limits of resolving power of the human eye, so now it's getting to be overkill, unless you make a habit of looking at your tablet screen with a magnifying glass to try to see some differences. So my recommendation is to go buy the 700 and enjoy it! Sure in a few months to a year there will be something newer, but meanwhile you'll get to enjpy something that you obviously want! Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks Bill for your input. I should have clarified, I wont own anything that starts with an "i". I meant to say Android Tablet.
I actually just bought this from the Market Place for 400.00. Tablet,cases and keyboard.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/marketplace/224006-asus-transformer-pad-infinity-t700t.html
Seemed like a great deal. I really wanted to get something today to play with while off for the next few days but I hopefully used good judgement and waited to get this in the mail next week.

Last edited:

bill2reg

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I stand corrected about the 4.2; it's not out just yet. 4.1.1 is the latest.
A word of caution about the keyboard though. There are some different keyboard/docks that, although WILL work in some capacity, are not necessarily the best choice. ASUS does make an actual 700 keyboard. And there is some question there also because it seems that the previous keyboards were labeled as 700 ones, but then ASUS actually made a 700 version and labeled those as such. Some say there is no difference between these latter two, and others say there are some minor differences. But the keyboard/dock for the Prime and EEpad if they are out there are probably not the best choice. My understanding is that they may work in some apps, but not reliably, if at all, in others. As far as the tablet, I would check the OS version and update as soon as you get it. It seems Jelly Bean 4.1.1 is more stable and faster. Otherwise, I think you'll be very happy.