Show us your pics here!

Ragnarianrok

Jan 19, 2021
Visit site
wow, quite a surprise!

i actually thought, without the benefit of knowing the real color (in real life) of the carpeting, that the lighter two pictures showed off your dog better. your dog's body/coat in the two darker pictures appeared to be a bit too dark to me, but of course, i don't have the dog and the carpeting to compare with.

Yeah. For the carpet and the dog, the Pixel photos are closer.

The same is true of human subjects. The pixel captures them closer to real life.

Ragnarianrok

Jan 19, 2021
Visit site
What's funny is the opposite is true when it comes to video taking. The pixel cannot capture good contrast in video nor does it adjust well to changing lighting conditions as you're filming. Videos come out pale and muted and soft.

Whereas the S21+ video capture is contrasty and vibrant and sharp, and adjusts well to changing light.

I don't understand why Samsung can represent videos in better light and realistic detail but not do the same for their still photography. The over-smoothing looks intentional to me so I don't think there will ever really be a "fix" for this.

It's just Samsung's style of post image processing. I guess? This is a mistake if you're asking me.

RiverDog

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
This phone is awesome! Camera is pretty much on par with my iphone 12 and 4a 5g
82520d2a74aed6df5c6d30cbd5746f1c.jpg
2bb09d67896f4236b1ae35ae914eee7c.jpg
2f2a91f47c11cb6ed6b780da9824f9aa.jpg
01fefa8d08ef79bcd6478030c2c9173e.jpg

What case is that?

Johnson21x

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
What's funny is the opposite is true when it comes to video taking. The pixel cannot capture good contrast in video nor does it adjust well to changing lighting conditions as you're filming. Videos come out pale and muted and soft.

Whereas the S21+ video capture is contrasty and vibrant and sharp, and adjusts well to changing light.

I don't understand why Samsung can represent videos in better light and realistic detail but not do the same for their still photography. The over-smoothing looks intentional to me so I don't think there will ever really be a "fix" for this.

It's just Samsung's style of post image processing. I guess? This is a mistake if you're asking me.

I finally took some photos and videos today. You're right video on the s21plus is great, everything matches up to detail. And zooming in on video isn't bad either. But when you take pictures it comes out not great, especially if there is not good lightning.

I did find a setting or effect for the front camera in smoothing out faces. But turning it off didn't do much. But it was still noticably better.

I have a s9 that before it got update to OneUI 2.5 the photos weren't that over processed. It seems like that's what their doing now.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I finally took some photos and videos today. You're right video on the s21plus is great, everything matches up to detail. And zooming in on video isn't bad either. But when you take pictures it comes out not great, especially if there is not good lightning.

I did find a setting or effect for the front camera in smoothing out faces. But turning it off didn't do much. But it was still noticably better.

I have a s9 that before it got update to OneUI 2.5 the photos weren't that over processed. It seems like that's what their doing now.

what about trying out the PRO mode?

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm quite surprised it's this bad.

Two things I was always on the lookout for to cross over to Samsung was camera and software. The software experience -- with the exception of maybe one or two minor things -- is solid. I think Samsung finally nailed it down. It's smooth, it's stable, many of the extra features are actually sensible and helpful, and Samsung seems to be doing a great job with monthly sec updates + the promise of three years of OS updates. A- grade here.

But with the camera's still photography, it seems they just haven't quite closed that gap or have decided this sort of skin-smoothing and overexposure is the way to be. Either way, it's once again, holding me back from leaving the Pixel.

I really want to like the S21+ for all it does well -- as you say, Samsung gets a lot right -- but the results of these photographs are very disappointing. Based on reviews, I was lead to believe the differences would be minor and would come down to mainly "preference." This is not preference. The Samsung photos are outright over-processed, over-smoothed, and over exposed.

The question is, is Google capable of putting out a competitive flagship device that finally catches up on hardware and features for the Pixel 6? I honestly don't know.

For me, I planned on throwing lawnchair launcher on the ultra and setting Google apps to default to closely mimic the pixel experience, while gaining the benefits of the nice screen and much better battery life. I have the tab s7 plus, so i know what you expect on the software side.

The photos are disappointing. Again Samsung is trying to brighten and smooth out imperfections again to the point that faces look unnatural. I've read elsewhere that this is probably intentional because in Asian countries they prefer that airbrushed look. That small shutter lag also makes it really hard to capture candid moments of the family.

I'll test out the ultra when i get it obviously, but it looks like i may be sticking with the pixel for another 9 months to see what Google can come up with this year.

On a positive note, it looks like one ui 3.1 on the tab s7 has integrated smart home controls into the drop down shade. It's not going to be nearly as quick as the power menu controls that are on the pixel, but i guess it's a start.

Aneres11

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Nice comparison snaps there.
It’s a shame. I have a S21 U coming on Sunday. Currently on an iPhone 12 Pro and I like the camera experience for the most part but do miss having a decent zoom. One area the iPhone is garbage at.

I was hoping the pics would be a little close to the competition in terms of colour and contrast as that’s what virtually every reviewer has said so far. Even in comparison pics to the S20 Ultra the punchy over exposed colours seem to have died down, but in your test cases here that’s not the case at all.

I do think Google have well and truly spoiled all of us with their still camera for years. It’s just the best for point and shoot I’ve ever used.

Jaskaran Bhatia7

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
I have been using s21 ultra exynos for almost 5 days now . I am actually disappointed with camera pics if I compare it with iPhone 12 Pro Max . Pics are not that sharp, in low light there is no comparison if you are clicking pictures of kids or animals. Today it made pics look little red when I was clicking pics in low light. I like this phone a lot but camera is making me consider if i should keep it.

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Still waiting for my phone, but it is dissapointing to hear these camera reports. Reviewers have been very positive about the camera, but their tests may not reflect the way typical users take pictures.

Ragnarianrok

Jan 19, 2021
Visit site
Still don't know why people are complaining I love the cameras and I am fussy

View attachment 331240
View attachment 331241
View attachment 331242

Landscapes in good outdoor light come out nice on my S21+ as well.

It's people and pets that the device fails to capture well, unfortunately. Too much over-smoothing of skin and hair giving an unnatural look, and many times, too overexposed with lack of contrast. Also, if they're moving, the shutter speed can be a touch too slow.

That's just been my experience so far. There's otherwise very much to like about the device.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Landscapes in good outdoor light come out nice on my S21+ as well.

It's people and pets that the device fails to capture well, unfortunately. Too much over-smoothing of skin and hair giving an unnatural look, and many times, too overexposed with lack of contrast. Also, if they're moving, the shutter speed can be a touch too slow.

That's just been my experience so far. There's otherwise very much to like about the device.
@Ragnarianrok: have you tried the PRO mode on the camera yet?