SIII radio ?

scuba561

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
So I am about to upgrade from the original DINC to the SIII and I start to hear about radio issues with the SII.

How bad is the radio on the SII and improved will it be on the SIII?

Anyone have real tests yet from the European release of SIII?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
So I am about to upgrade from the original DINC to the SIII and I start to hear about radio issues with the SII.

How bad is the radio on the SII and improved will it be on the SIII?

Anyone have real tests yet from the European release of SIII?

1. completely different chip set so nobody knows if it will also have new radios
2. cant really compare international radios since those are gsm and Verizon uses cdma

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Most likely same as nexus and they suck. But this is Samsung and there radios suck. Another reason why if its not nexus then I'm not buying Samsung phones

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Most likely same as nexus and they suck. But this is Samsung and there radios suck. Another reason why if its not nexus then I'm not buying Samsung phones

Samsung is the most dev friendly devices out there, plus the nexus line doesn't really have the best of specs so I would take a phone with better specs over a nexus since the nexus doesn't even get timely updates anymore....

ProvDev

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Most likely same as nexus and they suck.

Nope..will not be the same. GS3 has the S4 SoC (MSM 8960) with the radios integrated on the same chip with CPU/GPU (wifi, GPS, and BT also on-die) at 28nm. Very different setup than the 45nm OMAP with separate radios. Only time will tell if it equals an improvement over the GNex.

Droid Inc used a Snapdragon QSD 8650 SoC with modem for cellular communication on-die.

In essence... the US GS3 shares more SoC/radio heritage with the Dinc than it does with the VZW Gnex with the OMAP Soc.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Nope..will not be the same. GS3 has the S4 SoC (MSM 8960) with the radios integrated on the same chip with CPU/GPU (wifi, GPS, and BT also on-die) at 28nm. Very different setup than the 45nm OMAP with separate radios. Only time will tell if it equals an improvement over the GNex.

Droid Inc used a Snapdragon QSD 8650 SoC with modem for cellular communication on-die.

In essence... the US GS3 shares more SoC/radio heritage with the Dinc than it does with the VZW Gnex with the OMAP Soc.

Good to see someone realizes how it is completely different chipset and radios than Samsung has used in the past. On Verizon they have never used a QUALCOMM modem before, it has always been their hummingbird or the omap in the case of the nexus.

ProvDev

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Good to see someone realizes how it is completely different chipset and radios than Samsung has used in the past. On Verizon they have never used a QUALCOMM modem before, it has always been their hummingbird or the omap in the case of the nexus.

This is the reason I am excited for this phone... it has the chance to be the first LTE phone with acceptable battery life (that doesn't need a car battery.. ala Razr Max)!!!!

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
This is the reason I am excited for this phone... it has the chance to be the first LTE phone with acceptable battery life (that doesn't need a car battery.. ala Razr Max)!!!!

Agree. I can't wait til the preorders come in and I get to see how it pans out.

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

A simpler answer would have been " I don't know"

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site

For future reference the Maxx doesn't have a car battery.

My wife is excited for her pre-order. The Nexus doesn't give me any assurance that Samsung radios are going to be any better than they have been in the past. I think I will be running her phone through its paces to make sure she'll be able to get a signal in an emergency situation.

ProvDev

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
For future reference the Maxx doesn't have a car battery.

I could have been more clear:) Maxx battery (while not overly large in size) is the largest capacity of LTE phones available. The usability of the Maxx is achieved through packing in a lot of mAh not by power efficiency.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm concerned with some of the apps i use. I got the nexus the first day and returned it the second. Could not get a solid stream for TuneIn Radio app.. praying this is better

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm concerned with some of the apps i use. I got the nexus the first day and returned it the second. Could not get a solid stream for TuneIn Radio app.. praying this is better

So you had the phone 1 day and returned it? You know ICS was a new version and some apps had to be updated to work?

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
So you had the phone 1 day and returned it? You know ICS was a new version and some apps had to be updated to work?

Yes, I do realize that it may have been the apps not playing nice. It would stream for about 15 seconds then quite. I live with A Online Radio, Resco Radio, and TuneIn Radio. Hoping they work with the S3

However, I mostly returned it because I was not diggin' the "pure" android experience. I like UI's, and menu buttons. Really like Sense and hoping I can live with Touch-Wiz

Last edited:

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
We won't know for sure until we have the device in hand. But this will use a Qualcomm SoC (originators of the CDMA standard) with all radios, including LTE, on the same chip. Thus its low-level firmware should be simpler and with less chance for bugs and translation errors. Not to mention that you won't have to worry about I/O bottlenecks between separate chips. The radios will use less power and have more efficient communication with the rest of the system, so yes I would expect this phone to be very good in terms of signal strength and quality.

I had a Droid Charge, and after all the issues I had Samsung themselves decided that their chips weren't ready for LTE yet. A company as successful as Samsung learns from their mistakes, and obviously Exynos 4 chips were not performing adequately with LTE, so they would logically go with the very best solution available. The Nexus doesn't really fit in to this argument, since it was designed and spec'd by Google, not Samsung, and they didn't really have CDMA in mind. Samsung pretty much had to take the Google-designed GSM version, shoehorn a CDMA/LTE radio setup in there, and hope for the best.

All that to say that I would expect the SGS3 to be more power efficient than any other LTE device so far, as well as be one of the best in terms of signal reception and quality, due to the S4 SoC. But ultimately we won't know until we get them in our hands, will we?

Jdm4292

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
We won't know for sure until we have the device in hand. But this will use a Qualcomm SoC (originators of the CDMA standard) with all radios, including LTE, on the same chip. Thus its low-level firmware should be simpler and with less chance for bugs and translation errors. Not to mention that you won't have to worry about I/O bottlenecks between separate chips. The radios will use less power and have more efficient communication with the rest of the system, so yes I would expect this phone to be very good in terms of signal strength and quality.

I had a Droid Charge, and after all the issues I had Samsung themselves decided that their chips weren't ready for LTE yet. A company as successful as Samsung learns from their mistakes, and obviously Exynos 4 chips were not performing adequately with LTE, so they would logically go with the very best solution available. The Nexus doesn't really fit in to this argument, since it was designed and spec'd by Google, not Samsung, and they didn't really have CDMA in mind. Samsung pretty much had to take the Google-designed GSM version, shoehorn a CDMA/LTE radio setup in there, and hope for the best.

All that to say that I would expect the SGS3 to be more power efficient than any other LTE device so far, as well as be one of the best in terms of signal reception and quality, due to the S4 SoC. But ultimately we won't know until we get them in our hands, will we?

No we won't, but I appreciate the detail of your post. It helps explain quite a lot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

aaroninky

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Mobile Syrup has a quick preview of the S III running on LTE in Toronto up on Youtube. The phone is running on Bell's LTE service. The guy in the video said with 8 hours of "decent" use he still had 39% battery remaining.

Samsung Galaxy S III LTE Hands-on - MobileSyrup.com - YouTube

All the other stuff was pretty standard for the videos coming out now, just highlighting the hardware and a short look at TouchWiz. It was good to hear that with the LTE radios going he still had respectable battery life.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site

To say that the Maxx battery resembles that of a car battery is a bit much don?t you think? Does that imply that the 3300mAh is somehow making it too bulky for some? I don?t think so. Have you seen the extended batteries attached to the back of the other 90% of smart phones out there? Making them look like that parasite thing in Aliens just so a user can get through a full day. Now those are car batteries! Most users would kill to have 3300mAh under the hood of a sub 9mm chassis. I happen to have an ATT GSIII in hand as we speak and it's sweet looking, I'll give it that, but it still needs to prove itself to all of us in function and quality. This unit is not mine so sadly I can't power it up and take it for a spin but I can take a few snap shots of it next to my Maxx to back up what I'm saying. I challenge you to see a noticeable enough difference in thickness to make comments like that. Most will wrap it up in a bulky protective case anyway because seriously, it feels that fragile. In person I can tell that the GSIII is in fact a hair thinner but not nearly enough to make a statement such as that. Hope you guys enjoy the photos and I apologize ahead of time for the quality of the shots. They were taken with a Blackberry! How about that, got a slam in on a BB:) To sum up what I'm saying, it's an amazingly flashy looking device but It needs to have better reliabily than the Nexus or the Charge I once had, before I would ever jump back on that bandwagon.Time will tell all.

Last edited:
Reactions: rage151

NightxFall

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Have you seen the extended batteries attached to the back of the other 90% of smart phones out there? Making them look like that parasite looking thing in Aliens, just so you can get through a full day. You've probably sported one of these yourself before:) Those are car batteries! Most users would kill to have 3300mAh under the hood of a sub 9mm chassis but not you. You're the one in a million that thinks that is thick:) LOL at ya. I happen to have an ATT GSIII in hand as we speak and it's sweet looking, I'll give it that, but it still has a way to go to prove itself to all of us in function and quality. This unit is not mine so sadly I can't power it up and take it for a spin but I can take a few snap shots of it next to my Maxx to back up what I'm saying. I challenge you to see a noticeable enough difference in thickness to make comments like that. Most will wrap it up in a bulky protective case anyway because seriously, it feels that fragile. In person I can tell that the GSIII is in fact a hair thinner but not remotely enough to make a statement such as yours. Hope you guys enjoy the photos and I apologize ahead of time for the quality of the shots. They were taken with a Blackberry! How about that, got a Slam in on a BB:)

Thanks for that comparison! I'm surprised; the GS3 and the Razr Maxx are actually about the same size! I won't be putting my S3 in a bulky protective case however, but will probably put it in a barely there case if it really does feel that fragile.

Sent from my Ally using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastura24