Since it is only Verizon, it is useless to me

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
You're missing the point - you are NOT required to activate on Verizon. You can activate any Pixel on any carrier.

I think OP problem is he wants to buy it local and pay cash, and Verizon and Best buy will only allowed him to activate it with Verizon.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I am sure there is some push and pull on that very fact. Google has never had a carrier go at promoting one of their phones this hard. In a way that is a big win for them. Verizon's willingness to put on a full court press is likely due to the fact the droid selling cycle is over, and it gives them something to differentiate from the others. Take away their ability to brag like this, and a certain amount of the promotion goes with it.

This also leads me to believe that the other carriers were not as bullish on the Pixel, so the overall promotional impact with just Verizon >> all carriers put together. Google picked their poison. I hope they chose wisely, because it is good for the ecosystem if they have more success with Pixel than they have with Nexus.

No doubt a large part of the exclusivity deal was a commitment by Verizon to a certain (and large) extent of focused product advertising (likely with some matching 'mdf' advertising funding by Google). I think Google specifically wanted to go with a single carrier for 'local' retail distribution with the Pixel as, while they might generate a bit fewer sales than they would with directly available product in other carrier's supply chain, this method will generate greater brand development - when multiple carriers offer a phone, there's a lot less incentive for each to heavily advertise it, and the phones receiving the biggest push will be those with the biggest brand awareness (Apple, Samsung).

I would expect that when the next generation rolls around, a carrier seeking exclusivity won't get quite as sweet a deal as I suspect Verizon negotiated for the simple reason that Google's branding will have some roots in the ground.

bunser51

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I think they did in all honesty. I mean Verizon does have the most users and probably the biggest advertising budget out of the big 4. If you had to choose, they'd be the one I'd go with

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Unless I am wrong you dont have to activate it on verizon if you get it from them or best buy. Mine wasnt activated on verison when I got it mailed to me from verizon. I could have put in a ATT sim card and activated on att. I bet you would have to pay cash because I doubt verizon will let you make payments on a phone you activated on att. ALL VERZIONS OF THIS PHONE ARE CARRIER UNLOCKED. the verizon phone has a locked bootloader and those sold from them or best will come with that locked bootloader. but all versions are carrier unlocked available to use carrier specific sim.

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
So true. Scared me off at first, plus the threat of bloatware.

THIS..... is 100% true.

Verizon, well, they are Verizon... they are going to go out of their way to make it appear that you can only use the phone on their network. Because Verizon.

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
A little confused, so Best Buy and Verizon models ONLY work on Verizon? I hope that the GSM/CDMA versions are labeled as such. AT&T can get really bureaucratic if you don't buy from them.

Unless I am wrong you dont have to activate it on verizon if you get it from them or best buy. Mine wasnt activated on verison when I got it mailed to me from verizon. I could have put in a ATT sim card and activated on att. I bet you would have to pay cash because I doubt verizon will let you make payments on a phone you activated on att. ALL VERZIONS OF THIS PHONE ARE CARRIER UNLOCKED. the verizon phone has a locked bootloader and those sold from them or best will come with that locked bootloader. but all versions are carrier unlocked available to use carrier specific sim.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
A little confused, so Best Buy and Verizon models ONLY work on Verizon? I hope that the GSM/CDMA versions are labeled as such. AT&T can get really bureaucratic if you don't buy from them.

It's the same phone whether you buy it at Best Buy, VZW, Google Store, Swappa, from a bum in the alley, out of the back of a van that also sells "Rolex" watches --- does not matter. It has all bands and will work on all carriers. All you need is a SIM card from said carrier. Insert, and enjoy.

IncredibleJedi

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
It's the same phone whether you buy it at Best Buy, VZW, Google Store, Swappa, from a bum in the alley, out of the back of a van that also sells "Rolex" watches --- does not matter. It has all bands and will work on all carriers. All you need is a SIM card from said carrier. Insert, and enjoy.

This. Although I'm on Verizon, this seems to be the case from multiple reports/folks. From Verizon corporate stores, you have to have a Verizon account, though I'm not sure if anyone was lucky enough to purchase one from an authorized retailer store and just walk out.

Otherwise, if you can acquire one from any other place, just swap out the sim card and you're good. You might be able to go through someone who has a Verizon account, and then have them order one. You'd pay them for the phone, or use your credit card for the charge. Chances are the Pixel you want is out of stock though, so you could just join the Google waiting list, or wait for the "exclusivity" to drop.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
This. Although I'm on Verizon, this seems to be the case from multiple reports/folks. From Verizon corporate stores, you have to have a Verizon account, though I'm not sure if anyone was lucky enough to purchase one from an authorized retailer store and just walk out.

Otherwise, if you can acquire one from any other place, just swap out the sim card and you're good. You might be able to go through someone who has a Verizon account, and then have them order one. You'd pay them for the phone, or use your credit card for the charge. Chances are the Pixel you want is out of stock though, so you could just join the Google waiting list, or wait for the "exclusivity" to drop.

Here is the one question I thought of -- if you were able to get it from, let's just say Best Buy, would the bootloader be locked? Or, does activating the phone with the VZW sim, and the subsequent setup that comes after the first boot up, cause the bootloader to be unlockable?

I don't know why I care - I ordered one from the G Store, more curious than anything.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
My order from Google was cancelled today... AGAIN! Arrrrrr

Anyways I went to Verizon store and talked them into selling me one at full price. Walked out of store without them activating it and...

Fi = Works great!
AT&T = Works great!

Those are the only 2 SIM cards I have. Before 1st boot I removed the VZW SIM card and have not gotten any of the Verizon apps..

Side note: This phone flat out ROCKS!!!!!!!

socarwolverine

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Here is the one question I thought of -- if you were able to get it from, let's just say Best Buy, would the bootloader be locked? Or, does activating the phone with the VZW sim, and the subsequent setup that comes after the first boot up, cause the bootloader to be unlockable?

I don't know why I care - I ordered one from the G Store, more curious than anything.

Reports are that Best Buy sells the same phone that Verizon does. It is carrier unlocked and can be used on any carrier with their SIM, but the bootloader is not unlockable. It is not clear how the two phones are differentiated (likely by IMEI) but if you have no plans to root then it makes absolutely no difference where you choose to buy the phone from.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Murph -- ALL pixels are the same. The Verizon version, BestBuy, Google Store, etc. They're all made with the exact same components and everything. The only difference is who sells them. A Pixel phone will work on ANY carrier regardless of who you buy it from.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
My order from Google was cancelled today... AGAIN! Arrrrrr

Anyways I went to Verizon store and talked them into selling me one at full price. Walked out of store without them activating it and...

Fi = Works great!
AT&T = Works great!

Those are the only 2 SIM cards I have. Before 1st boot I removed the VZW SIM card and have not gotten any of the Verizon apps..

Side note: This phone flat out ROCKS!!!!!!!
I guess that means you're out of your mind

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Google probably needs to work on this some. This is a very, very common misconception right now.
Google isn't going to work on this at all. Verizon gave them (probably a ton of) money to get that exclusively at Verizon plastered on those ads. Verizon wants people who want pixel to switch to their network so they paid for that right. It's not changing until the exclusivity period is over. It's exactly what Google and Verizon agreed to.

imartez

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
That's when I thought it was locked and crippled by Verizon. Since then we've received new info so foot in my mouth.. :D