Since it is only Verizon, it is useless to me

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, I'm fairly certain there IS a difference. The Verizon one will have a locked bootloader, and it CANNOT be unlocked. The Google Play store models will have unlockable bootloader. That is a HUGE difference for enthusiasts. For regular Joe, won't matter at all.

That is true but the OP was concerned about it working on AT&T so I was commenting on that fact .. Not the bootloader ;).

imartez

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I didn't power up the phone with the Verizon SIM. I removed it and used the T-Mobile SIM from initial boot up. I'm still on N build.

If you want to get the update, just put in the Verizon SIM and it will download automatically. You may be prompted for activation, just ignore it. The update took about 10 min.

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Well that is ridiculous, so I have to put in the Verizon sim any time I want to update my phone? I'll pass on that.

If you want to get the update, just put in the Verizon SIM and it will download automatically. You may be prompted for activation, just ignore it. The update took about 10 min.

imartez

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Well that is ridiculous, so I have to put in the Verizon sim any time I want to update my phone? I'll pass on that.

To be clear, Verizon has released the update before Google has, if you want that system update now, then use the Verizon SIM process to get the update now or you can wait until Google pushes it out to everyone. I don't believe that you will need to put in your Verizon SIM to get every update since the update build numbers are the same (NDE63P)
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
OK, that makes sense. I was worried that you could only update them on the Verizon network, which switching sims would be a PITA on a regular basis. I just with Google was more clear, and less obfuscatory on this.

To be clear, Verizon has released the update before Google has, if you want that system update now, then use the Verizon SIM process to get the update now or you can wait until Google pushes it out to everyone. I don't believe that you will need to put in your Verizon SIM to get every update since the update build numbers are the same (NDE63P)
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images