So I've had the G6 for 3 days....

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I jumped on the $350 deal on AT&T Next for the G6. And while its a super solid phone offering a great android experience, I can't say its the device for me.

Several days before, I had a S8. Great device, plenty of features (gimmicks) and it worked flawlessly. The only reason I returned it was because I thought the G6 would be "the one" at about 1/2 the price.

Here's my issue. I've been taking alot of pictures, checking in on other people's posts here, and taking more. For some reason, I can't get the quality I was expecting. Low lighting struggles, average lighting difficulty, making adjustments in manual mode, trying to get the gallery to sync with Google Photos. I saw someone suggest that the ISO and f stop is a bit off. Another was convinced the camera itself was bad. I'm having second thoughts about my experience.

I take alot of pictures of my kids with my phone. So its a big priority for me. Everything else, I love about the G6, its the perfect weight and the screen size is #1 . As much as I love it..I just may go back to the S8.

Only if the G6 provided me with the image quality and camera experience as the S8. Some of you have posted some great shots so it may very well be me, or a dud.

Any thoughts?

The S8 will have an overall better camera because Samsung in general dominates that area and is more technologically advanced. But there are some sacrafices between LG and Samsung. The LG overall has a better and smoother OS experience, dual wide angle cameras, a FLAT screen for screen protector installation, double tap to wake screen feature, and better fingerprint scanner placement. Samsung is overall the choice for most individuals who simply want a good phone with a good camera. I personally didn't like the shape of the s8 as well as the button placements, and the curved glass made it difficult for screen protector installation. I went back to the LG V20 and although the camera isn't as great as the S8, I still like it better for some of the extra features it has such as the dual wide angle lenses on the front and back (front selfies are amazing with the extra wide angle).

If you're having a hard time taking photos of kids, I recommend changing the shutter speed to 1/50 or download a 3rd party camera called high speed camera. For low light shots, you'll have to use manual settings.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The S8 will have an overall better camera because Samsung in general dominates that area and is more technologically advanced. But there are some sacrafices between LG and Samsung. The LG overall has a better and smoother OS experience, dual wide angle cameras, a FLAT screen for screen protector installation, double tap to wake screen feature, and better fingerprint scanner placement. Samsung is overall the choice for most individuals who simply want a good phone with a good camera. I personally didn't like the shape of the s8 as well as the button placements, and the curved glass made it difficult for screen protector installation. I went back to the LG V20 and although the camera isn't as great as the S8, I still like it better for some of the extra features it has such as the dual wide angle lenses on the front and back (front selfies are amazing with the extra wide angle).

If you're having a hard time taking photos of kids, I recommend changing the shutter speed to 1/50 or download a 3rd party camera called high speed camera. For low light shots, you'll have to use manual settings.

Thanks so much. That pretty much sums it up. I have a feeling that the LG G6 has a bigger learning curve with it's manual mode. My auto shots are turning out much better as well.

I don't miss the curved screen or the horror stories about 2' drops that shatter the device. However, I like the fact that you can just get a very good shot quickly with the S8. Selective focus is fun, Samsung Pay is extremely convenient, and the display is unmatched.

I've got 9 days left to decide, but I'm really starting to believe the LG is the winner for me.

idon12no

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This seems to be a pretty standard issue for third party gallery apps. It used to happen to me using A+ Gallery, but it eventually got an update that let it delete pictures on Google photos. Not sure if this is just Google trying to force you to use Google photos or just an apk issue, but I think the photos deleted this way only get deleted off your phone. I think.

Jay Gamblore

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I just traded my pixel xl the the g6 and was worried re photos. So far I'm very impressed with the pictures I've been getting. Take a lot of pics of the kids and I have yet to be disappointed. Front facing camera is definately weak though..

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I just traded my pixel xl the the g6 and was worried re photos. So far I'm very impressed with the pictures I've been getting. Take a lot of pics of the kids and I have yet to be disappointed. Front facing camera is definately weak though..
I'm glad to hear this from a former Pixel user.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29