So who's getting the Ion?

petes67bird

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a list of the bloatware that can/should be uninstalled? Also should we turn off the localization tools, I never had a smartphone before. Thanks Pete

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I kept the myAT&T app and Power Saver. Got rid of pretty much everything else that I was able to uninstall. Personally, I leave the location settings turned off until I need them.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I got it a few hours ago.

I retract my earlier post. Don't even bother looking at those reviews. Go in the store and try it yourself. The phone is a lot better than those people give it credit for.

I'm keeping it.

Also, it DOES attract a lot of fingerprints, so get your microfiber ready!

I've been using those random Amazon 3 pack screen protectors (sticker ones) on my aria and blackberry since March of last year and the first one is finally showing wear. Only spent $4, barely shows prints, got 2 left and about to trade in my phone already.

petes67bird

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I am having problems deleting apps. How do I get rid of ATT navigator and such? Also should I allow Background Data Traffic to continue to be enabled? Sorry noob questions. Thanks for all the help. Pete

Last edited:

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I am having problems deleting apps. How do I get rid of ATT navigator and such? Also should I allow Background Data Traffic to continue to be enabled? Sorry noob questions. Thanks for all the help. Pete

Once you're in the app drawer, tap the square that's next to the home icon. The apps that can be uninstalled will have an x next to their icons. Tap and delete. Not all the preloaded apps can be uninstalled, though. And I leave the data traffic enabled. Really just comes down to how you want your apps to behave.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

You cannot uninstall AT&T Navigator, but it doesn't seem to Auto-Start or get cached on boot. Just NEVER open it - ever - and you should be fine. It's not like you really save much space anyways, since it's in the FW even if you uninstall it. When ICS comes I guess you'll be able to disable it. This phone consistently has about 100MB more RAM free than the Vivid I had did (sometimes upwards of 200+ MB more free even after using a ton of apps and closing them with the HOME button (cause HTC and Sony/Samsung have different soft button layouts :) ).

YP Mobile you cannot uninstall. It seems integrated with the contacts app so even if you could disable it I'm not sure what effects it would have (would not be nice to have your Phone/Contacts app auto-crash if you removed something tied into it).

Most of the other stuff you can uninstall (AT&T Messages, etc.). Some other apps like AT&T Ready2Go you also can't uninstall. But I don't see that auto-starting either.

I think I'm gonna get a case. I'm not used to handing devices so thin (I've always cased my phone). It feels awkward :p

Battery Life is suspect. I'll give it a day or so. I'm not even in an LTE area. I thought something was wrong with the WiFi in the phone (signal does jump around a lot) cause the speeds seemed 1/4th what they were supposed to be... Well, I just noticed Verizon downgraded my DSL connection from 5-7mbps to 1.9mbps without even telling me. I'm calling them to complain about that right now. What were they thinking? Idiots...

Gonna go try the camera outdoors in a little bit.

If you want a browser that Syncs with a desktop browser, you can use Firefox. It's faster than Chrome Beta and Syncs with Desktop Firefox. That will hold you over as far as that goes until ICS comes and you can use Chrome. I noticed some apps are incompatible with the Ion at the moment:

Google Wallet doesn't show up in Market (even though NFC is functional on the phone) - Maybe requires ICS?
Serve Mobile App is stated as being incompatible with the Ion.

petes67bird

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help. For a browser I enjoy dolphin hd. It has gestures and sonar and is pretty darn quick opening desktop webpages. Thanks will review once I get to use it a bit.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Battery Life is really bad for me. Died on me after under 5 hours off the charger. Probably did < 1 hour of calls and maybe sent/recieved 35 texts or so. Barely no surfing or anything, and no music/video. Have til tomorrow, but I'm not sure I can risk waiting to see if it gets better. Might go exchange for the Skyrocket and deal with the WVGA screen if the battery life on that phone is better (which is what I have read).

Will1524

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
My skyrocket gets about 8-10 hours off the charger with moderate use in an lte area

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Battery Life is really bad for me. Died on me after under 5 hours off the charger. Probably did < 1 hour of calls and maybe sent/recieved 35 texts or so. Barely no surfing or anything, and no music/video. Have til tomorrow, but I'm not sure I can risk waiting to see if it gets better. Might go exchange for the Skyrocket and deal with the WVGA screen if the battery life on that phone is better (which is what I have read).

That's too bad, n8ter. The battery drain you're describing definitely doesn't sound normal. The ion lasts through the work day for me with about 25% to spare. I send less texts than that, but I surf and listen to music throughout the day. Maybe exchange it for another one before you jump to the Skyrocket?

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
My skyrocket gets about 8-10 hours off the charger with moderate use in an lte area

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

8-10 hours is 60-100% more than 5 hours. It means when my Ion on WiFi/HSPA+ died your Skyrocket would have shown 40-50% charge on LTE.

The Skyrocket's screen looks like trash compared to this. I might just deal with it. I don't want a One X or GS3. Plastic is not cool, I don't care how "premium" they try to pass it off as.

EDIT: Maybe it's the TimeScape Auto-Sync O.O Only thing I can really think of other than maybe the email client is doing something odd...

Last edited:

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
You cannot uninstall AT&T Navigator, but it doesn't seem to Auto-Start or get cached on boot. Just NEVER open it - ever - and you should be fine. It's not like you really save much space anyways, since it's in the FW even if you uninstall it. When ICS comes I guess you'll be able to disable it. This phone consistently has about 100MB more RAM free than the Vivid I had did (sometimes upwards of 200+ MB more free even after using a ton of apps and closing them with the HOME button (cause HTC and Sony/Samsung have different soft button layouts :) ).

YP Mobile you cannot uninstall. It seems integrated with the contacts app so even if you could disable it I'm not sure what effects it would have (would not be nice to have your Phone/Contacts app auto-crash if you removed something tied into it).

Most of the other stuff you can uninstall (AT&T Messages, etc.). Some other apps like AT&T Ready2Go you also can't uninstall. But I don't see that auto-starting either.

I think I'm gonna get a case. I'm not used to handing devices so thin (I've always cased my phone). It feels awkward :p

Battery Life is suspect. I'll give it a day or so. I'm not even in an LTE area. I thought something was wrong with the WiFi in the phone (signal does jump around a lot) cause the speeds seemed 1/4th what they were supposed to be... Well, I just noticed Verizon downgraded my DSL connection from 5-7mbps to 1.9mbps without even telling me. I'm calling them to complain about that right now. What were they thinking? Idiots...

Gonna go try the camera outdoors in a little bit.

If you want a browser that Syncs with a desktop browser, you can use Firefox. It's faster than Chrome Beta and Syncs with Desktop Firefox. That will hold you over as far as that goes until ICS comes and you can use Chrome. I noticed some apps are incompatible with the Ion at the moment:

Google Wallet doesn't show up in Market (even though NFC is functional on the phone) - Maybe requires ICS?
Serve Mobile App is stated as being incompatible with the Ion.

Can all the unwanted apps be tossed into one folder? That's something i miss from blackberry.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Nope. You can do that on Motorola phones I'm pretty sure, but not this one.

In ICS you can disable them and it stops them from running period, and removes them from the App Drawer. Something to look forward to? :p

petes67bird

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
N8Ter,
I have 4 hours on phone battery right now after first full charge last night. Screen at 75% brightness. I have downloaded over 20+ apps, made 10-15 texts. Talked for about 30 min. Played with apps. Set up my Dolphin HD with all my gestures, and had to manually go to each website to save it as a bookmark. I then played with the maps and gps, played with bar code scanner. Watched 2 5min HD 1080P videos through youtube at work. I just checked and I have 61percent battery left. I deleted basically everything I could and put the power saver on at 20 percent. I disabled gps and auto sync. I have my email through K9 and it is synced every hour. Tweetcaster only notifies me when I have a mention or DM. Accuweather is running and set to refresh every 60 minutes. Wifi has been on the whole time as well. I think it is doing pretty well. You must have something that is a battery hog or a bum phone. Hope that helps.

My only issue with the phone is the buttons on the bottom arent as responsive as I would of hoped for. It is a fingerprint magnet, wow. ALso I am 6'6 so phone feels too thin for my hands, but I am sure the case that is coming tomorrow will help in that area. Other than that, phone is snappy, everything runs great. I took a picture of my dog in bed with the room completely dark. The flash did an adequate job and picture was good. Not perfect, but good. So if you are in a club/lounge, this should be sufficient. Pete

Last edited:

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Nope. You can do that on Motorola phones I'm pretty sure, but not this one.

In ICS you can disable them and it stops them from running period, and removes them from the App Drawer. Something to look forward to? :p

Shoot. Coulda sworn the video review showed the guy putting apps in a folder :/

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
So I guess it's cheaper to upgrade than be a new customer nowadays. Ion is at target for $99 for new customers and $39 for upgraders.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
N8Ter,
I have 4 hours on phone battery right now after first full charge last night. Screen at 75% brightness. I have downloaded over 20+ apps, made 10-15 texts. Talked for about 30 min. Played with apps. Set up my Dolphin HD with all my gestures, and had to manually go to each website to save it as a bookmark. I then played with the maps and gps, played with bar code scanner. Watched 2 5min HD 1080P videos through youtube at work. I just checked and I have 61percent battery left. I deleted basically everything I could and put the power saver on at 20 percent. I disabled gps and auto sync. I have my email through K9 and it is synced every hour. Tweetcaster only notifies me when I have a mention or DM. Accuweather is running and set to refresh every 60 minutes. Wifi has been on the whole time as well. I think it is doing pretty well. You must have something that is a battery hog or a bum phone. Hope that helps.

My only issue with the phone is the buttons on the bottom arent as responsive as I would of hoped for. It is a fingerprint magnet, wow. ALso I am 6'6 so phone feels too thin for my hands, but I am sure the case that is coming tomorrow will help in that area. Other than that, phone is snappy, everything runs great. I took a picture of my dog in bed with the room completely dark. The flash did an adequate job and picture was good. Not perfect, but good. So if you are in a club/lounge, this should be sufficient. Pete

Did you charge it full before using it at all or just played with it right out the box then charged it later? Looks like you'd get 10 hours at your rate, which is similar to mine. My rooted cm7 aria barely gets 6 hours :(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Llop719