So who's getting the Ion?

petes67bird

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I used it to transfer pics and contacts last night. I then charged it from 4am until 1pm. I am now at 40% and have been using it non stop since my last message here. I downloaded Fish Bowl App to replace the Gallery as I have pictures I dont want others to see when I show them to coworkers.

petes67bird

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
From my VERY ROUGH calculations, I get an hour of use for 10-14 percent of battery. So about 8-10 hours for the battery right now, but I have been using it basically non stop. I have messed with every app etc. Even downloaded all my kindle books. I really put the phone through its paces today. I am extremely happy I went with my gut feeling and chose the ION. I had one sony phone before, the orange W600i, that thing was great. It was a workhorse and was so well built, never broke and I still have it to this day. I highly recommend this phone up to this point. Pete

I do have one question. I need a car charger, do they make one for this phone yet.
Would this be ok?
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Ericsson...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU1903835

Last edited:

petes67bird

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Ok, my first major issue. Trying to Skype with my wife and we both have ION's. It states the device is not certified and with video calling we hear loud obnoxious chirping the whole time. Anyone know of a fix.

petes67bird

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
wifi. I used google talk and the picture quality was superior and so was the voice, no noise at all. The only problem was there was a noticeable lag with google talk.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
wifi. I used google talk and the picture quality was superior and so was the voice, no noise at all. The only problem was there was a noticeable lag with google talk.

If it makes you feel better there's a bit of lag off my 10 mb dsl using my new iPad for Skype :/. I probably wouldn't notice the diff.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to keep the phone. I think the timescape autosync was killing it. The phone is good. I'm tired lookingbfor the next best thing.

I do need a case though. I'm 5'4" with small hands and it feels too thin and light lol. I am dumbfounded with the obsession with thinner and lighter phones.

Not sure how you deal with that brightness level. I had mine at 50% and it was too much. Have it around 25% now. That may save some battery as well, right?

N8Ter,
I have 4 hours on phone battery right now after first full charge last night. Screen at 75% brightness. I have downloaded over 20+ apps, made 10-15 texts. Talked for about 30 min. Played with apps. Set up my Dolphin HD with all my gestures, and had to manually go to each website to save it as a bookmark. I then played with the maps and gps, played with bar code scanner. Watched 2 5min HD 1080P videos through youtube at work. I just checked and I have 61percent battery left. I deleted basically everything I could and put the power saver on at 20 percent. I disabled gps and auto sync. I have my email through K9 and it is synced every hour. Tweetcaster only notifies me when I have a mention or DM. Accuweather is running and set to refresh every 60 minutes. Wifi has been on the whole time as well. I think it is doing pretty well. You must have something that is a battery hog or a bum phone. Hope that helps.

My only issue with the phone is the buttons on the bottom arent as responsive as I would of hoped for. It is a fingerprint magnet, wow. ALso I am 6'6 so phone feels too thin for my hands, but I am sure the case that is coming tomorrow will help in that area. Other than that, phone is snappy, everything runs great. I took a picture of my dog in bed with the room completely dark. The flash did an adequate job and picture was good. Not perfect, but good. So if you are in a club/lounge, this should be sufficient. Pete

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Here is the pic in complete black room

That image has quite a bit of noise in it. The video capture is more disturbing.

Another issue with this phone is that there are a large number of apps showing up as incompatible. Serve cannot be installed on this phone, and it's a huge issue for me.

The store manager said he'd make an exception and exchange it out for something else today, so I may have to do that. Gotta get my moniez... Ya know...

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
If it makes you feel better there's a bit of lag off my 10 mb dsl using my new iPad for Skype :/. I probably wouldn't notice the diff.

I did skype and google talk on my vivid on a 5mbps connection, as well as on my iPod touch and it was flawless. Doesn't the iPad only do VGA from the front CAM like the iPhone/iTouch? Nothing should lag doing that.

The Vivid and Ion can do 720p from that camera, so that may have been an issue, but like I said, with only a 5MB down, 768kbps up DSL connection I had no issues Google Talking or Skyping.

I noticed the lag on Google Talk as well. Haven't tried skype. People are getting tired of installing apps for me to "test" stuff :p

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I did skype and google talk on my vivid on a 5mbps connection, as well as on my iPod touch and it was flawless. Doesn't the iPad only do VGA from the front CAM like the iPhone/iTouch? Nothing should lag doing that.

The Vivid and Ion can do 720p from that camera, so that may have been an issue, but like I said, with only a 5MB down, 768kbps up DSL connection I had no issues Google Talking or Skyping.

I noticed the lag on Google Talk as well. Haven't tried skype. People are getting tired of installing apps for me to "test" stuff :p

VGA and 30fps. Still get occasional lag from when the person speaks til I hear it. Has Skype on the Ion worked well for you?

Edit: just reread that last sentence lol. Nvm

Last edited:

petes67bird

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to update. When I got home from work on pretty heavy usage, the battery lasted me 9hr 44min with 9% left. Not too bad in my book as I wont always be using it that heavily.

I did get my Incipio Silicrylic cases today. Initial observations are as follows. The case fits the phone well. All cutouts are where they should be. The place where it flips open for HDMI and Charger is a bit thin and flimsy, may be an issue in the future in that area. The case looks pretty nice, doesnt add much bulk at all and is pretty light. I do have concerns about the protection the case will provide if we were to actually drop the phone on concrete or other hard surfaces. I am probably gonna use this case and then buy the ballistic SG when it is released and if the price is good.

To N8ter, there is alot of noise in the picture because it was a complete black room. There was no other source of light at all, just the LED Flash. That happens on my Sony WSC-7 Digital camera when it is completely black. Even if there was minimal light, the detail would sharpen. Good luck on your new phone, I am loving the Ion. I am sure the issues will work themselves out in short time. Pete

darylgo

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Almost 3 days with the ION and still impressed, it is much less glitchy than my Atrix.

A few issues:

The buttons on the bottom work poorly when tapped but work perfectly with a swipe, start from the illuminated line below the button and swipe upward, it's a natural motion and easier on the fingers, continuing onto the screen with one easy motion. Assuming Sony has done this purposely, maybe there is a full instruction manual somewhere that mentions it. On a Bionic the swipe works poorly, on the ION it's an improvement over tapping.

The charger supplied with the ION is rated at 1500 mA. My other chargers are 1000 mA or less. Charging batteries slowly has several advantages including longer battery life until replacement is necessary. I don't need faster charging (most times) and will stick with the slower chargers.

My battery life on the first day was atrocious, the second day was better, third day is nearing 15 hours with 30% left. An hour of talk time and many screen hours were logged, music playing through bluetooth for 2 hours, and much necessary fiddling with a new phone. Screen is around 25% brightness, plenty bright for my use including outdoors in full sunlight. There appears to be an automatic brightness control that is not user accessible.

Like the Iphone, the battery is not user replaceable and no spare is available. Unaware of this at purchase it's the only reason I consider returning the phone. The large screen makes a tablet less necessary but for long plane rides the battery is a liability. I am currently looking at 8400mAh external batteries that will recharge the phone 4 times. If anyone has experience do these work?

Pretty sure I will keep it, there isn't much to dislike and lots to like.

Reactions: paul-c

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Almost 3 days with the ION and still impressed, it is much less glitchy than my Atrix.

A few issues:

The buttons on the bottom work poorly when tapped but work perfectly with a swipe, start from the illuminated line below the button and swipe upward, it's a natural motion and easier on the fingers, continuing onto the screen with one easy motion. Assuming Sony has done this purposely, maybe there is a full instruction manual somewhere that mentions it. On a Bionic the swipe works poorly, on the ION it's an improvement over tapping.

Excellent observation on the swiping ability, it definitely helps. Does make you wonder if that was intentional and Sony just didn't focus on mentioning it.

Last edited:
Reactions: darylgo

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
One week in, I'm definitely impressed with the ion. The design is sleek, the screen is gorgeous, and I love Sony's Timescape UI. The camera is nice and handles low light pictures well. The tv launcher feature is well thought out, and it's great that it works with my Panasonic remote. Battery life hasn't been a concern, as I can get through the work day without charging. Really great work by Sony, I'm very happy with the ion. This is a sleeper phone for sure and the steal of the summer, in my opinion.

Reactions: erwaso

darylgo

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Really great work by Sony, I'm very happy with the ion. This is a sleeper phone for sure and the steal of the summer, in my opinion.

+1

The reps at the AT&T store and Best Buy knew very little about the phone when I was attempting a purchase. The Sony Store guy was well versed. The lack of accessories is surprising given it's large lead time, the Sony Store had nothing. Is the cradle available?

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Finally found a store with an ion to play with. What a nice piece of hardware! smooth and as quick as the one x with similar screens IMO. The capacitive buttons weren't as hard as reviewers were making it out to be, same with the speaker with xloud on. Camera was awesome, not much blur when I took a pic of my moving hand. Video was similar if not better than my 3rd gen iPad. The one thing it's missing is the ability to swipe away notifications like on my rooted cm7 aria but I can deal with it.

The test unit was a bit glitchy with one thing. If I hit the power button it would turn off the screen and 2secs later turn back on. Also couldnt get to the lock screen for some reason. It would turn on to a black screen until I hit the back or home button. I'm assuming it's an isolated issue with this one since no one on any ion forums mentioned it.

30days til my upgrade!!!!!!!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anzarkv