So who's moving to the Moto Z or waiting for HTC's Nexus

kurveb03

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Having been using the Moto X 2014 since it launched way back in October 2014, it's almost completing 2 years and is showing its age. Apart from the battery, I think I was pretty happy with the build, size, speakers, leather back and software.
So, how many of us feel that the Moto Z/Z Force is a worthy replacement. I personally think it's too tall and doesn't solve the battery problem.
Hoping the HTC nexus works out, cause currently I am struggling to find a replacement which has a decent size, build, speakers and useful Moto software.

Moto X 2014 via the AC App

Dr. S

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I just ditched mine for an HTC 10. The Moto X didn't really age that well for me, plus as you said the Z is a little bigger than I would like. The 10 is almost the exact same size as the X and the build quality feels very nice. It's a little pricey but might be worth a look if you don't want to wait 4-5 months for the Nexus refresh.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I have an X 14' Pure Edition and I really like it. However, I'm thinking of finally getting a Nexus device for my next phone. My X has been good to me thus far. So whatever I end up with I will let it get released to the public then see how it runs with the reviews and what not. The Z is still on the plate though!

Lunkman23

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I've had the 2014 X since November of that year and it's held up quite well. I was going to stick with it for awhile but couldn't resist the Amazon Prime Day offer on the MXPE for $249... Really looking forward to it!

Posted via the Android Central App

jm101

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I have had my Moto X 2014 Pure Edition since around December 2014. Overall, it has held up really well and is a big step up from the low-midrange Android phones I used to purchase. My biggest complaints are the lack of recent security patches and not having 6.0.1. I doubt that it'll get Nougat but one can only dream. :)

If I stick with Android, I will probably go with a Nexus next time.

Winston P

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Bought mine last April, power button broke within a month of buying, then after fixing it, the firmware crashed on me and caused me to factory reset: the last time I ever not backup my phone. Lollipop 5.1 and its battery drain was the last straw for me, bought the Note 5 the day it came out (was among the first in the world to own one, as I was in Singapore during the Note 5's launch, and SG was the first country to get it alongside Taiwan).

That Note 5 hasn't survived till today: sold it off for a really good price on the eve of the S7 launch and bought the GS7, while the Moto X still remains with me. It has since been updated to Marshmallow 6.0, it runs very stable, and none of the issues I had with it are there. If only it had been this stable last year, I likely would not have changed. Software is the main draw of this phone, and when it's unstable, the hardware just simply isn't spectacular enough to carry the day on its own: Camera is terrible: even my three-year old Galaxy S4 spanks its ***, and so is battery life: also spanked by the S4.

However, my S7 isn't without its issues: its battery life is not doing hot: 3.5h SOT average is simply not good for an Exynos model GS7, while the phone itself IS hot: even after factory resets trying to fix it. Now considering OnePlus 3, or whatever replaces the V10. Or maybe Note 7 if Samsung runs a good deal on it where I live.

kurveb03

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I think One Plus 3 is the best bet for any of us. Although it's still big and lacks Moto's extra features.
Hoping the 5inch Sailfish Nexus is perfect, otherwise it'll either be the OP3 or Moto Z for me.

Moto X 2014 via the AC App

Comaaz

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
This is a struggle for me. When Moto was a Google company, and the first Moto X came out, I was an early adopter. Then the second gen, what a looker! I pre-ordered from Googarola... Black leather, orange trim and black face. Emblazoned with my family motto, I loved that phone. Alas, I dropped it... First one I damaged since 2000. That lead me to buy a new version of the same phone, this time in ebony for something different. Because of the age (and end of product cycle) I got it for a mere $225!

Alas, this one does not perform as well as my original one did. I am really sad. I know I need to move on, and I know not what I want. HATE the Samsunginess of the Galaxies (my tablet blows), but love the camera and S7 Edge form factor.

HTC is no longer available from my carrier, so unless I want to fork out the money for the whole thing, that is a no go... But darned temping.

The V10 is a handsome phone if not a little large...

I would have considered the Moto X 3rd Gen, but am not sure what Lenovo brings to the line. Not sure I trust the brand any longer. When will updates happen, how long etc. When it was Googarola... it was near Nexus status but with panache. Now... *Sigh.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463