So who's returning the Pixel 5 and why?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Maybe because the 2 was more of an upgrade from the OG? Whereas the 5 doesn't seem to elicit the same excitement? I'm coming from a 2XL and my 5 is arriving next week and even I'm kind of meh.
I'd like to get the 5 but I'm also kind of meh about it. While I've considered it I can't seem to get excited about it. Please share about your experience with it when it arrives, I'm interested to hear what you think. I hear a lot of "yeah it's a great phone, so smooth and quick, but that under display speaker, not so great". I guess I need to be excited about the whole package.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I will definitely share my impressions. By next week we will have a 4a, a 4a 5G and a 5 in our household.

I'd like
to get the 5 but I'm also kind of meh about it. While I've considered it I can't seem to get excited about it. Please share about your experience with it when it arrives, I'm interested to hear what you think. I hear a lot of "yeah it's a great phone, so smooth and quick, but that under display speaker, not so great". I guess I need to be excited about the whole package.

MarkMN

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I had the Pixel 5 for 5 days. My previous phone was a Pixel 2 xl. The issue I had with the 5 was the camera. As hobbies I work on mechanical watches, and tye flies for fly fishing. I take a lot of close up pictures and the 5 just wouldn't focus close up like the 2 did. I messed with it for days, and finally gave up. I went back to best buy, checked the display model, the focus didn't seem any better. I ended up returning the Pixel 5 and left with a Samsung S20 FE. I wanted to like the 5, but the camera's short comings were a deal breaker.

Daveya

Nov 19, 2020
Visit site
I had the Pixel 5 for 5 days. My previous phone was a Pixel 2 xl. The issue I had with the 5 was the camera. As hobbies I work on mechanical watches, and tye flies for fly fishing. I take a lot of close up pictures and the 5 just wouldn't focus close up like the 2 did. I messed with it for days, and finally gave up. I went back to best buy, checked the display model, the focus didn't seem any better. I ended up returning the Pixel 5 and left with a Samsung S20 FE. I wanted to like the 5, but the camera's short comings were a deal breaker.
I returned my S20 FE, it weighs a tonne and I hated the Samsung bloat and general Android experience so came back to Pixel. Plus the battery in the FE is awful

mthornto88

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I returned mine due to the sound quality. I could barely hear anyone on a phone call. People also complained. I got the pixel 4a 5g and it is back to normal now. Also, it feels more like my pixel 2xl. The pixel 5 was on the smaller side, which I got used to, but build wise it felt filmsy. The 4a 5g feels better in hand. I know it is supposed to be the other way around but it feels better to me. Google really messed up the sound on the 5. It needs to be a phone first.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I'm sorry you were dissatisfied with the Pixel 5. How are you liking the S20 FE? The camera is pretty stellar!

whatboutbob

Oct 22, 2020
Visit site
I returned mine due to the sound quality. I could barely hear anyone on a phone call. People also complained. I got the pixel 4a 5g and it is back to normal now. Also, it feels more like my pixel 2xl. The pixel 5 was on the smaller side, which I got used to, but build wise it felt filmsy. The 4a 5g feels better in hand. I know it is supposed to be the other way around but it feels better to me. Google really messed up the sound on the 5. It needs to be a phone first.

Really interested to hear how you're liking the 4a 5g vs the 5. I'm thinking about doing the same switch. Stupid 5 keeps overheating on me and the call volume is killing me anytime there's background noise.

How's the battery life? Sound quality (media and call)? Any other major differences?

MarkMN

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry you were dissatisfied with the Pixel 5. How are you liking the S20 FE? The camera is pretty stellar!
So far so good with the S20 FE. The camera does what I want, the rest seems solid. I've always used Nova launcher, so all of my phones are set and look the same.

I really liked my Pixel 2 XL, and was expecting the 5 to be a step up. Kind of disappointed.

mthornto88

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Really interested to hear how you're liking the 4a 5g vs the 5. I'm thinking about doing the same switch. Stupid 5 keeps overheating on me and the call volume is killing me anytime there's background noise.

How's the battery life? Sound quality (media and call)? Any other major differences?

The major difference is I can hear people now!!! Seriously the sound from the top speaker is back to normal. It's like my old Pixel 2 XL. The size of the phone feels good as well. The Pixel 5 felt tiny coming from the XL. This is smaller but fits in the hand nicely. I don't notice anything regarding the screen.

My battery usage has been good. This is light usage and I have been mostly home on my wifi. The 5 had great results in my short time using it. But we have to sacrifice something for normal sound.

Screenshot_20201124-094850.jpg

If you are frustrated with the sound like me, I would return it. I got my full money back since it was day 15. I liked the 5 but it has to be a phone first and it fails at that with no opening at the top for the speaker.

straygator

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Pixel 5 this afternoon, to replace my beloved P2XL -- which is approaching 3 years old, and still performs flawlessly with more than a full day on a charge for normal usage, but sadly has reached the expiration of its security and system updates. I had planned to wait until the lapse of the free unlimited Google Photos storage for the P2XL in January before making the jump, but the Black Friday deal from Best Buy -- a $200 discount for activation on Verizon (which is fine with me, since we've been satisfied Verizon subscribers for two decades) was simply too tempting.

I had reservations about buying the Pixel 5 based on reports from some users here that the sound quality was poor, or at least suboptimal for its class. But I recalled that I had also been hesitant to buy the P2XL based on complaints from users here -- including a couple of the same posters who have deemed the Pixel 5 worthy of rejection because of its under-display top speaker -- that the P2XL had serious display flaws ("blue shift" and "black crush") which rendered it unacceptable. While I recognize that each user's evaluation of a device is subjective depending on varying individual preferences, and that reviews both positive and negative are helpful to prospective purchasers, I'm glad I didn't allow the critics to dissuade me from buying the P2XL, because it turned out to be the finest, most reliable, user-friendly smartphone I've ever owned; the display issues proved wholly inconsequential to me.

After a few hours with the Pixel 5, I'm once again pleased that I didn't pass on the device by relying on the perceived shortcomings that prompted others to reject it. To my ears, even with auditory senses diminished by 72 years of wear and tear, the Pixel 5 sounds just fine. If there's a difference in clarity and volume between the Pixel 5 and the P2XL, I'm having difficulty discerning it. And in every other respect, the Pixel 5 fulfills my wishes and expectations by providing a seamless transition from my P2XL plus some nice functional enhancements, particularly the wide-angle lens and the larger battery. From where I sit, this is a splendid device and a great value for the price -- especially when the price is $499. :cool:

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Well written and reflective of my experience. My 2XL is also going strong and is among my favourite phones. You can read my posts showing my hesitation to get the 5 (wary of the speaker quality), but in the end the worry was unfounded. That being said, I find the 5 too small so my wife will take it and I will use the 4a 5G. To further add how I'm happy with the 2XL, I'm still using it while I await the case for my 4a 5G, and I'm not really in any hurry to move on. It will be a great backup phone.

I bought a Pixel 5 this afternoon, to replace my beloved P2XL -- which is approaching 3 years old, and still performs flawlessly with more than a full day on a charge for normal usage, but sadly has reached the expiration of its security and system updates. I had planned to wait until the lapse of the free unlimited Google Photos storage for the P2XL in January before making the jump, but the Black Friday deal from Best Buy -- a $200 discount for activation on Verizon (which is fine with me, since we've been satisfied Verizon subscribers for two decades) was simply too tempting.

I had reservations about buying the Pixel 5 based on reports from some users here that the sound quality was poor, or at least suboptimal for its class. But I recalled that I had also been hesitant to buy the P2XL based on complaints from users here -- including a couple of the same posters who have deemed the Pixel 5 worthy of rejection because of its under-display top speaker -- that the P2XL had serious display flaws ("blue shift" and "black crush") which rendered it unacceptable. While I recognize that each user's evaluation of a device is subjective depending on varying individual preferences, and that reviews both positive and negative are helpful to prospective purchasers, I'm glad I didn't allow the critics to dissuade me from buying the P2XL, because it turned out to be the finest, most reliable, user-friendly smartphone I've ever owned; the display issues proved wholly inconsequential to me.

After a few hours with the Pixel 5, I'm once again pleased that I didn't pass on the device by relying on the perceived shortcomings that prompted others to reject it. To my ears, even with auditory senses diminished by 72 years of wear and tear, the Pixel 5 sounds just fine. If there's a difference in clarity and volume between the Pixel 5 and the P2XL, I'm having difficulty discerning it. And in every other respect, the Pixel 5 fulfills my wishes and expectations by providing a seamless transition from my P2XL plus some nice functional enhancements, particularly the wide-angle lens and the larger battery. From where I sit, this is a splendid device and a great value for the price -- especially when the price is $499. :cool:

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

Is the Best Buy $200 off price in the form of Bill credits? Curious ‘cause I’m trying to find it and the best I can see is $100 off for a price of $599 with Verizon activation. This from the Best Buy web site.
EDIT, ok maybe my bad, I guess maybe it starts Friday. But you got yours early?

Last edited:

straygator

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Is the Best Buy $200 off price in the form of Bill credits? Curious ‘cause I’m trying to find it and the best I can see is $100 off for a price of $599 with Verizon activation. This from the Best Buy web site.

I first saw this offer in a preview of the Black Friday ad that I received from Best Buy via e-mail last week. It provides for a discount of $200 either by paying the full balance of $499 up front or by spreading the $499 as bill charges of $20.83 per month over two years.

The deal went "active" on Monday of this week, I believe. It may be that the advance promotional ad was only sent to Best Buy Rewards members, but the same deal should be available to anyone through all Best Buy stores -- it just says "with qualified activation" on Verizon, which for me was simply a matter of upgrading my device within our existing Verizon Wireless account. The sales person in the Best Buy store here was immediately familiar with the deal when I told him what phone I wanted. Good luck -- it's a real bargain!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
So far so good with the S20 FE. The camera does what I want, the rest seems solid. I've always used Nova launcher, so all of my phones are set and look the same.

I really liked my Pixel 2 XL, and was expecting the 5 to be a step up. Kind of disappointed.

So glad you are enjoying the S20 FE thus far! Having owned a Google Pixel 2 phone myself, I can understand the expectations you had of the Pixel 5.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I first saw this offer in a preview of the Black Friday ad that I received from Best Buy via e-mail last week. It provides for a discount of $200 either by paying the full balance of $499 up front or by spreading the $499 as bill charges of $20.83 per month over two years.

The deal went "active" on Monday of this week, I believe. It may be that the advance promotional ad was only sent to Best Buy Rewards members, but the same deal should be available to anyone through all Best Buy stores -- it just says "with qualified activation" on Verizon, which for me was simply a matter of upgrading my device within our existing Verizon Wireless account. The sales person in the Best Buy store here was immediately familiar with the deal when I told him what phone I wanted. Good luck -- it's a real bargain!

Found the add, thanks

whatboutbob

Oct 22, 2020
Visit site
The major difference is I can hear people now!!! Seriously the sound from the top speaker is back to normal. It's like my old Pixel 2 XL. The size of the phone feels good as well. The Pixel 5 felt tiny coming from the XL. This is smaller but fits in the hand nicely. I don't notice anything regarding the screen.

My battery usage has been good. This is light usage and I have been mostly home on my wifi. The 5 had great results in my short time using it. But we have to sacrifice something for normal sound.

View attachment 329158

If you are frustrated with the sound like me, I would return it. I got my full money back since it was day 15. I liked the 5 but it has to be a phone first and it fails at that with no opening at the top for the speaker.

I made the leap to the s20fe. Took me a while to get the Samsung stink off it (with the help of Nova launcher). The pixel 5 still does a lot of little things better than the Samsung but 1) I just went for an hour long drive and it didn't overheat and shut down mid-navigation and 2) I can hear phone calls!

It'll be interesting to see if the overheating issue becomes more prevalent when the northern hemisphere warms up. When I returned my phone to the retail store the staff member was like "yeah, we've had quite a few p5s returned for that reason."

Dws51

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I had navigation on for 3 hours, no issues at all. Battery went down 15 % in 3 hours ( only used it for navigation during that time frame). I have no problems with phone calls and hearing. The phone playing music does not sound nearly as good as my IPhone 12 Pro Max, but the $600 dollar savings makes it worth the sound quality difference. Also I almost always use a Bluetooth speaker, so not an issue. Plus I love the Google software advantages vs IOS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jameszang48