software uprade not coming till may

schizrade

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
The main reason I jumped at this phone is two fold:

1. Ease of hackability
2. Bone stock ics out of the box.

It has always worked well for me. Some of you expect too much from a micro computer.

Reactions: axne1

kulkaholic

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Really? You chose a phone and a two year commitment based upon that decision criteria? Unbelievable.

Isn't being judgmental about someone else's decisions a tad over the top?

My mother in law buys electronic devices on how they look not perform. I think its a bad move but that makes her happy so I am happy.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I bought this phone because I knew it would get a bunch of support from Developers.Thus would have more Roms then you could shake a stick at :D
Which it has .
I knew I wouldnt need to depend on official updates from official sources with this phone . ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2defmouze

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Look at the pic again underneath the post it says 4/6. For whatever reason the poster went an changed the original post which is why it says the 8th but underneath that post it says 6th

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tried the 4.0.4 leak yet, but my GNex also isn't cutting out or randomly restarting or anything like that. My only issue if battery life. Going through all the ROM's and kernels I still haven't found anything that can get me over a day's worth of juice. So I hope the update comes out soon.

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tried the 4.0.4 leak yet, but my GNex also isn't cutting out or randomly restarting or anything like that. My only issue if battery life. Going through all the ROM's and kernels I still haven't found anything that can get me over a day's worth of juice. So I hope the update comes out soon.

I hear you man. My battery life isn't so great either, but at least it's running way smoother than before I ROM'ed it.

*customized tapatalk signature*

kesnik

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
is 4.0.4 that much better?

The major improvement from 4.02 -> 4.04 is the data transition from 3G to 4G and visa versa but this update also helps to prevent the phone from staying awake while the screen is off. I saw a significant battery life improvement after I loaded the leaked 4.04.

I am not rooted. I used the Gnex toolkit. I unlocked the bootloader and flashed the stock 4.04 rom and the phone is useable. I lost data so much with 4.02 the phone used a lot of the battery just trying to acquire a signal. Don’t get me wrong, the 4.04 update is not the solution but its is WAY better than the 4.02. I can’t wait until the next update drops, (crossing fingers) I suspect it will include all the fixes from the 4.04 and more!!

-Kesnik

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
See I am the opposite.
Hardly get signal with 4.02...custom roms didn't help.
Stock though I get more then 8 hrs with the extended battery with 1 bar and wifi and BT on and streaming music, etc.
Waiting until 4.05 drops before I exchange it for another device or put a custom rom on it.
BB and codename didn't help much with reception.

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
and you wont....over a days worth of juice wont happen unless you have a 3300maH battery or sit on WIFI all day and dont touch the phone. with stock battery, you should be happy to hit 12 hours. you have to realize this phone has a HUGE display AND LTE....both are the biggest battery suckers out there.

See I am the opposite.
Hardly get signal with 4.02...custom roms didn't help.
Stock though I get more then 8 hrs with the extended battery with 1 bar and wifi and BT on and streaming music, etc.
Waiting until 4.05 drops before I exchange it for another device or put a custom rom on it.
BB and codename didn't help much with reception.

Just an FYI, ROMs have NOTHING to do with reception. that is all based on the radio.
i got a big increase in reception AND data handoffs when i flashed the 4.0.4 leaked radios. they helped a lot.

i also bought this phone because i knew it was going to get updates...wether it be Official OTA, or from ROM developers. i am a crack-flasher...so i never have to worry about when an OTA is going to hit. just not that big of a deal to me.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Just an FYI, ROMs have NOTHING to do with reception. that is all based on the radio.
i got a big increase in reception AND data handoffs when i flashed the 4.0.4 leaked radios. they helped a lot.
i also bought this phone because i knew it was going to get updates...wether it be Official OTA, or from ROM developers. i am a crack-flasher...so i never have to worry about when an OTA is going to hit. just not that big of a deal to me.

I know...some have updated radios in their builds.
4.04 radios didn't help at all except for switching from 4g to 3g faster.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I could have sworn Bugless Beast had them built in...could be wrong...I had the 4.0.4 radios....

I will never buy samsung again...but I said that about Motorola too lol

Hmm. Do you have a screen shot? That'd be odd if they included them, but I wouldn't put it past. I'm also too lazy to check the thread lol.

And hopefully we'll be lucky when Google spins off their hardware division. The radios are the bee's knees, everything else, not so much.

rufflez

Banned
Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I could have sworn Bugless Beast had them built in...could be wrong...I had the 4.0.4 radios....

I will never buy samsung again...but I said that about Motorola too lol

There is a very good reason ROMs don't include radios. Been a standard of practice since the early days of Android 1.5.

When you download a ROM, you're downloading a large file. The chances of the file being corrupted are slim, but possible. if you flash a ROM that's corrupted, no big deal. If you flash a radio thats corrupted, you can brick the device.

Also, phone manufactueres put locked bootloaders to ensure only files they signed were flashed... to prevent bricking while flashing a radio... At least, thats a good argument for it. The nexus, with its unlocked bootloader, can flash radios back and forth with fastboot commands, so it would be difficult to brick (but then again, CDMA phones have always been hard to brick).

Reactions: dmmarck

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny