Soldering SD card to LS670 Motherboard

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone,
the sd card reader broke in my optimus S and I decided to solder an SD card to where the sd card reader connects on the motherboard.
I've identified the 8 points, 4 points for each side, on the left and right sides of where the sd card reader use to be.
The problem is, I stupidly ripped out the sd card reader portion while searching for the points to solder to (the pins were too unstable to solder too which was why I did that), and now I'm not sure where the pins are supposed to lead to. It looks something like this, points labeled how I THINK they correspond to the microsd. Excuse my poor ascii :p :

. is a small point
-- is more like a pin, or leg (iirc)

(1). ------------------ --(5)
(2). |WHERE sd | --(6)
(3). | Card reader| --(7)
(4). | Used to be | --(8)
-----------------

If someone could correctly label it, that'd be great. There might be some better points on the bottom of the mobo, but I haven't disassembled it that far yet (I still use it so I don't want to do anything too risky yet, but I'll give that a shot if need be).

If you guys need pics, let me know.

Thanks for your help :)

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
You have to get a new phone unless your set up for surface mount micro soldering

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

bweb

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone,
the sd card reader broke in my optimus S and I decided to solder an SD card to where the sd card reader connects on the motherboard.
I've identified the 8 points, 4 points for each side, on the left and right sides of where the sd card reader use to be.
The problem is, I stupidly ripped out the sd card reader portion while searching for the points to solder to (the pins were too unstable to solder too which was why I did that), and now I'm not sure where the pins are supposed to lead to. It looks something like this, points labeled how I THINK they correspond to the microsd. Excuse my poor ascii :p :

. is a small point
-- is more like a pin, or leg (iirc)

(1). ------------------ --(5)
(2). |WHERE sd | --(6)
(3). | Card reader| --(7)
(4). | Used to be | --(8)
-----------------

If someone could correctly label it, that'd be great. There might be some better points on the bottom of the mobo, but I haven't disassembled it that far yet (I still use it so I don't want to do anything too risky yet, but I'll give that a shot if need be).

If you guys need pics, let me know.

Thanks for your help :)

first off, not sure how you managed to do this... fyi, i just got a very good condition phone off ebay for $35 shipped, so measure your hassle and see if its worth it :)

as stated, you need a pretty fine tip to do anything like this, i'm guessing you are confident enough in your skills. i'm not sure what you mean by "ripped out" if you mean that you broke the solder pads off and plan on soldering to a trace or via, that the connections are delicate. dropping your phone for example may be enough to break a trace.

that being said, do you have the connector? you may be able to view the connection pinout.

its probably somewhat standard, i'll do a quick search for you. digikey will likely have a similar connector. you can easily probe ground and power.

bweb

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, the only ones i found have all 8 pins in a line. if there are any markings on the connector, it would be probably easiest to search for that particular one.

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
if you wouldn't mind could you tell me where on the mobo you found those points, bweb? were they on the underside? i haven't really had time to try it again. i already have another phone being shipped to me but i'd love to attempt this for science :p

the reason i'm going through the hassle of fixing the phone is because sprint will screw me out of $10 a month if I switch to any other phone. i was perfectly content with both the plan and phone, so i might still return the new phone i'm getting if i'm able to complete this repair successfully.

Thanks everyone :D

twtippets

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
you may be better off trying to solder the original casing for the sdcard that broke off to the motherboard as it is in my experience, solder doesn't like plastic all that much. The other option would to use a thin strip of jbweld or epoxy to hold it in place.

bweb

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
if you wouldn't mind could you tell me where on the mobo you found those points, bweb? were they on the underside? i haven't really had time to try it again. i already have another phone being shipped to me but i'd love to attempt this for science :p

the reason i'm going through the hassle of fixing the phone is because sprint will screw me out of $10 a month if I switch to any other phone. i was perfectly content with both the plan and phone, so i might still return the new phone i'm getting if i'm able to complete this repair successfully.

I didn't open my phone, so i'm flying blind. i'm just saying in general when i solder/repair things.

I still dont understand what happened, if you want to try to explain what happened and what you are trying to do (maybe with a picture) i could be more helpful.

you say the reader broke... did it stop working or did you break it? how?

you say you've identified the 8 points where it used to be... so it sounds like the socket was removed or broke off, what is left? was the pcb damaged?

I have a lot of experience soldering, but most people dont have the tools to do it. a fine tip and a stereoscope make soldering small stuff way easier.

btw, when i replaced my gf's phone, when i tried to activate it online, they wanted to charge me an extra $10 a month, but when I called in upset, the lady entered the phone swap info and said there was no extra charges.

scoolz4foolz

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
sorry to jump in here but my motherboard is also ed up.. phone is hard bricked and will not turn on.. thats a motherboard problem.. anyway to write to the motherboard and reset? or force on? unbrick!? something....

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

Actually if you use the automated activation phone line, you can keep your grandfathered plan. ;)

Sent from my SHARP-ADS1 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Treyrday86