Some questions on the V30/+/S

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
So I went into a local AT&T store yesterday to check out the new S9+. Of course, being a fan of music, I immediately plugged my 32 ohm impedance earbuds into the headphone jack. I will say that it sounded really loud for being a good three to four notches from max volume. Also, toggling on Dolby Atmos definitely makes a difference.

Even so, the prospect of that quad DAC is still making me consider the V30+ or V30S. The thing is, when I tested my earbuds on the V30, it made no difference to the sound whether the DAC was toggled on or off. I have seen a demo, however, where the DAC does get triggered with headphones of 50+ impedance, and it makes quite a difference.

I have a few questions, especially for those that have prior experience with HTC BoomSound-enabled phones as well.

First, when I tested my earbuds on an HTC, the sound was fantastic, where you could almost hear every instrument individually, yet it sounds full and rich, with just enough punch of bass, with no distortion at max volume. Would you say that headphone audio from the V30 is similar, on-par, or superior to BoomSound?

Second, I consider myself a light user. I don't do anything graphic intensive like gaming, nor am I into photography, other than the occasional point-and-shoot. All I do is talk, text, stream my music, watch YouTube and forum. What kind of battery life (and standby time) can I expect with the V30?

Third, how is the brightness of the screen in sunlight? Would I have to squint, cup my hand over the screen, or find shade to be able to see it?

Fourth, how much storage is available to the user from both the 64 and 128 GB storage options? I currently have 53 GB free on my 64 GB Nexus 6P, which is plenty, but the V30 has more features and preinstalled apps.

I want to upgrade at some point, but I don't take spending $1,000+ dollars when all is said and done likely. The way I see it, my options are either the upcoming Note 9, V30 (or V40, depending on what this supposed "Judy" phone is), the HTC U12, or whatever Huawei has coming later this year. Anyway, your feedback is appreciated.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Good question! I have the HTC10 and would love someone to answer this, I also am looking to upgrade, the biggest issues for me are sound quality and battery performance.

eric12341

Banned
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
So I went into a local AT&T store yesterday to check out the new S9+. Of course, being a fan of music, I immediately plugged my 32 ohm impedance earbuds into the headphone jack. I will say that it sounded really loud for being a good three to four notches from max volume. Also, toggling on Dolby Atmos definitely makes a difference.

Even so, the prospect of that quad DAC is still making me consider the V30+ or V30S. The thing is, when I tested my earbuds on the V30, it made no difference to the sound whether the DAC was toggled on or off. I have seen a demo, however, where the DAC does get triggered with headphones of 50+ impedance, and it makes quite a difference.

I have a few questions, especially for those that have prior experience with HTC BoomSound-enabled phones as well.

First, when I tested my earbuds on an HTC, the sound was fantastic, where you could almost hear every instrument individually, yet it sounds full and rich, with just enough punch of bass, with no distortion at max volume. Would you say that headphone audio from the V30 is similar, on-par, or superior to BoomSound?

Second, I consider myself a light user. I don't do anything graphic intensive like gaming, nor am I into photography, other than the occasional point-and-shoot. All I do is talk, text, stream my music, watch YouTube and forum. What kind of battery life (and standby time) can I expect with the V30?

Third, how is the brightness of the screen in sunlight? Would I have to squint, cup my hand over the screen, or find shade to be able to see it?

Fourth, how much storage is available to the user from both the 64 and 128 GB storage options? I currently have 53 GB free on my 64 GB Nexus 6P, which is plenty, but the V30 has more features and preinstalled apps.

I want to upgrade at some point, but I don't take spending $1,000+ dollars when all is said and done likely. The way I see it, my options are either the upcoming Note 9, V30 (or V40, depending on what this supposed "Judy" phone is), the HTC U12, or whatever Huawei has coming later this year. Anyway, your feedback is appreciated.

I used to have the HTC ONE M8 for windows and I can definitely say that the V30 is hands down the best sounding phone I've owned. The sound is pristine clear as if you're using an optical or HDMI connection to a home theater system. Not only that but the sound field is also very warm and expansive even with the digital filter setting set to slow, there's also no distortion with the volume set to max. I get at least 12 hours of screen on time with my V30, that's with a mix of web browsing, apps, texting, snapchat (a known battery guzzler), and the occasional YouTube usage.

anon(9057625)

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Good question! I have the HTC10 and would love someone to answer this, I also am looking to upgrade, the biggest issues for me are sound quality and battery performance.
I graduated from the HTC 10 a couple of months ago. The battery life on this phone is phenomenonal. I would have to charge my 10 twice (maybe 3 times) to get the same usage out of the v30. Sometimes I miss having two speakers rather than just having one at the bottom of the phone. I'm not an audiophile, but the v30 is at least on par with the 10 when using headphones.

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I used to have the HTC ONE M8 for windows and I can definitely say that the V30 is hands down the best sounding phone I've owned. The sound is pristine clear as if you're using an optical or HDMI connection to a home theater system. Not only that but the sound field is also very warm and expansive even with the digital filter setting set to slow, there's also no distortion with the volume set to max. I get at least 12 hours of screen on time with my V30, that's with a mix of web browsing, apps, texting, snapchat (a known battery guzzler), and the occasional YouTube usage.

12 hours SOT?? I call BS

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hohenheimofdarkness