Someone talk me out of getting a S20 Ultra

TOFC

Dec 29, 2019
Visit site
I have the s20 ultra 512 /16 on pre order direct from samsung uk. Due to be delivered sometime next week. Going to spend a few weeks with it before deciding if I'm going to keep it or return.

I'm still really happy with the note 10+ but I'm an absolute sucker for shiny new tech!

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
The only thing that makes me nervous in the note is the rumored screen. The wrap around type, touch sensitive for volume/power buttons. I see that making cases difficult.

I shouldn't say only thing, price also. If they bring that camera technology, the refresh rate, force 5G, and more.. Well if you think the S series were expensive, hold onto your seat. The S series sales are down, I don't think it was all the virus, pricing is getting out of hand also. So maybe Samsung will scale back on features, not force 5G. The note releases around iPhone also, so I think that helps keep pricing of the note in check a little also. I'll be watching it, and I might be buying it, but if I do I think I'm going to wait till November and cash in on the black Friday and after sales. I'm also going to watch what that screen does.

I hope the rumors about the screen aren't true. I don't care too much about the "waterfall" display. IMO there are too many touch issues. The price is a big concern for me also. Flagship phones are getting too expensive (at least when it comes to Samsung and Apple). I can't wait to see what the improvements are over the S20 series.

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Only a few more months. I can't wait to see what it brings to the table. I've never splurged when it comes to phones but I might do a little splurging this time.

So the Base Ultra is 1400. The new note is supposed to be leaps and bounds better over the S20 ultra. What do you think the price will be for the base Note + or ultra or whatever they decide to call it?

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
So the Base Ultra is 1400. The new note is supposed to be leaps and bounds better over the S20 ultra. What do you think the price will be for the base Note + or ultra or whatever they decide to call it?

I don't know. I believe the S10+ release price was just under 1k while the N10+ release price was just over 1k. I hope that Samsung doesn't follow that pattern because we'd be looking at $1499 for the plus Note. Waiting for Ice Universe to drop us some leaks so we can get an idea of what we're in for.

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I say add $100 to the S series prices.

Well, we'll have to see what they give for a trade in on the S20Ultra hahahaha I paid 750 for the Note 10+ with my Note 8 trade in. They gave me 700 for the Note 10+, so in essence I rented the Note 10 for 6 months for 50 bucks. My payment is actually 2 bucks a month lower on the same 24 month terms. Sure there was the initial investment. I paid the full price over 2 years for the Note 8. But if they keep gving these great trade ins for a pre-order (and the 200 in accessories), I might just get a new one every time. :)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
In my experience, it is very difficult for a phone enthusiast to be talked *out of* buying a new phone. It's easier for us to be talked *into* buying a new phone. You may get more incentive after reading the forums!

My advice? If you know you will hang on to it for a while and can get a good price on your current phone, why not go for it? Or, wait for further reviews and within a few months or weeks, if you are still satisfied with what you're reading/seeing, then go for it.

Let us know what you decide!

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Ultra. $700 trade in credit, $235 Samsung credit, then the student discount on top of it kind of helped push my decision. I wasn't going to then I got bored and started looking again...

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Ultra. $700 trade in credit, $235 Samsung credit, then the student discount on top of it kind of helped push my decision. I wasn't going to then I got bored and started looking again...

Yes, congratulations! It sounds like you got a fantastic deal on it! Yay! Keep us posted on its arrival and how you are liking it!

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
In my experience, it is very difficult for a phone enthusiast to be talked *out of* buying a new phone. It's easier for us to be talked *into* buying a new phone. You may get more incentive after reading the forums!

My advice? If you know you will hang on to it for a while and can get a good price on your current phone, why not go for it? Or, wait for further reviews and within a few months or weeks, if you are still satisfied with what you're reading/seeing, then go for it.

Let us know what you decide!
Your right there. I wasn't even looking at the S20 phones, not even paying attention to them, then my brother told me about that $700 trade in. I actually have 2 on preorder. I'm doubting best buy is going to get the ultra 512 Friday, so probably be cancelling that as Samsung is delivering the ultra 128 unlocked Wednesday. If best buy pulls a rabbit out of the hat and delivers the 512, I have a decision to make... Verizon variant ultra 512, or unlocked ultra 128. I have no idea what to do in that case. Lol

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Your right there. I wasn't even looking at the S20 phones, not even paying attention to them, then my brother told me about that $700 trade in. I actually have 2 on preorder. I'm doubting best buy is going to get the ultra 512 Friday, so probably be cancelling that as Samsung is delivering the ultra 128 unlocked Wednesday. If best buy pulls a rabbit out of the hat and delivers the 512, I have a decision to make... Verizon variant ultra 512, or unlocked ultra 128. I have no idea what to do in that case. Lol

Keep us posted on what you decide and on what arrives first! Super exciting!

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Well, we'll have to see what they give for a trade in on the S20Ultra hahahaha I paid 750 for the Note 10+ with my Note 8 trade in. They gave me 700 for the Note 10+, so in essence I rented the Note 10 for 6 months for 50 bucks. My payment is actually 2 bucks a month lower on the same 24 month terms. Sure there was the initial investment. I paid the full price over 2 years for the Note 8. But if they keep gving these great trade ins for a pre-order (and the 200 in accessories), I might just get a new one every time. :)
Your right, the initial investment sucked. I'm in the same situation, with those trade ins, I can upgrade twice a year for around the price of one phone. If they keep getting high priced, that's going to go out the door.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
The only thing that makes me nervous in the note is the rumored screen. The wrap around type, touch sensitive for volume/power buttons. I see that making cases difficult.

I hope the rumors about the screen aren't true. I don't care too much about the "waterfall" display.

It's just a patent. Tech media are the ones that made it a rumor. So many patents applications come out, and websites post them as rumored features, most of which never come to light.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's just a patent. Tech media are the ones that made it a rumor. So many patents applications come out, and websites post them as rumored features, most of which never come to light.
I agree they wont differ much from s20 lineup.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I agree they wont differ much from s20 lineup.

I really don't think the tech is there yet even if Samsung wanted to implement that patent with the display curving around hardware buttons. There would still have to be a bit of bezel going around the buttons in the patent which would look stupid.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I really don't think the tech is there yet even if Samsung wanted to implement that patent with the display curving around hardware buttons. There would still have to be a bit of bezel going around the buttons in the patent which would look stupid.
I agree , its not yet .

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
To talk yourself out of the S20 you could do what I did.
When I had the Note 8 and the Note 9 came out, I really wanted the 8gb/512gb version but it was 1299 or 1399 here, can't remember but I just couldn't justify it so I bought a 46mm Galaxy Watch instead, then last year I got the Note 9 8gb/512gb for only 606 quid (ok I got a little lucky) and then on to the Note 10 plus 5G 256gb
I wanted the S20 Ultra 16gb/512gb but bought a pair of Galaxy Buds+ instead and will wait for the Note 20

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia