Someone talk me out of getting a S20 Ultra

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I saw the price and said no way. Then I started watching reviews. Big mistake. The 10x optical zoom really intrigues me. A lot!

Ive had Notes for a long time. Use the S-pen some but not a lot. Mainly for writing notes.

Samsung is giving 700 trade for the Note 10+ and 200 credit for accessories. After taxes I paid 800 for the note 10+, so it would be like I rented it for 6 months for 100 bucks.

I know there will always be something better around the bend, but damn I like the camera. The 100x sky zoom seems cool, but it seems like you need a tri-pod to get really good pics with that. It's the 10X optical that would make me buy it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I saw the price and said no way. Then I started watching reviews. Big mistake. The 10x optical zoom really intrigues me. A lot!

Ive had Notes for a long time. Use the S-pen some but not a lot. Mainly for writing notes.

Samsung is giving 700 trade for the Note 10+ and 200 credit for accessories. After taxes I paid 800 for the note 10+, so it would be like I rented it for 6 months for 100 bucks.

I know there will always be something better around the bend, but damn I like the camera. The 100x sky zoom seems cool, but it seems like you need a tri-pod to get really good pics with that. It's the 10X optical that would make me buy it.
Buy it....buy it....

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site

I'm going to wait for the Note 20+ (or whatever they call it). I just bought a new Xvida wireless case & a couple of other N10+ stuff & don't want to get the Ultra right now. Trade in offers are phenomenal but I do use my S-Pen often.
Very cool phone though. Optical zoom is very desirable though...
Maybe I'll be enticed by the Fold 2...
Good luck with your decision.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Look at the price a couple of more times... Works for me every single time... seriously.. I paid 1103 for my Note 10 plus 5G 256gb and they want 1579 for the S20 Ultra 512gb... 476 difference and it has no s-pen

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I have the Note 10 plus and cancelled the preorder 3 times on the S20 Ultra. Ended up preordering it through best Buy. Now I'm not trading in the note. I added a line to get the ultra.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I have the Note 10 plus and cancelled the preorder 3 times on the S20 Ultra. Ended up preordering it through best Buy. Now I'm not trading in the note. I added a line to get the ultra.

It will be very interesting to see what you think of the Ultra compared to the Note

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
It will be very interesting to see what you think of the Ultra compared to the Note
Well I was pretty pleased with it when I was investigating it at Best Buy in their demo stand. I can always return it within the remorse. If need be

ladiinay

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
It seems like a great phone. But I'm waiting to see what the Note is like this yr. The features on the S20 Ultra, there will probably be a Note version of it with additional features. I'm waiting.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
It seems like a great phone. But I'm waiting to see what the Note is like this yr. The features on the S20 Ultra, there will probably be a Note version of it with additional features. I'm waiting.

Yep same for me, But if the Ultra is anything to go by, the Note will be flipping expensive lol

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
I've been upgrading from the Note to the S series every 6 months from the S4 Note 4 and I always miss my Note WAY more than the S series. I think this time I'm just going to actually keep my Note 10+ until the Note 20+ or ultra comes out. It will be better than the S20 ultra for sure.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I'm waiting on Note as well ..agree price is just too high even with trade in...I might just hold on for better deals...

RedMage36

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site

I hate to do this to a flagship, but you asked for it.

The phone is not as wide as a Note 10+, which means the measurements for this phone are kinda misleading. I prefer my phones to be wider than taller. If you compare this phone to a Note 10+. which I did on Friday, the note 10+ has a bigger viewer screen in landscape mode from top to bottom than side to side. And that's important because when we watch media, we look at the center not on the sides, so expanding the screen out left to right in landscape mode is not that important really.

No new software update. It's still Android 10, same as the Note 10+, Gpu and CPU are only marginally better at best. I dare you to compare a game on both and tell me that there is a huge difference. Trade ins, while they help, you eventually lose money by doing it and it is just used to keep you on the hook to pay for the latest and greatest. The most of which, a person really does not need.

The zoom thing is a gimmick, and its cool up until 30x. I had a very hard time keeping the camera steady and focused at 100x and half the time the pics looked back or like they had watercolors. You will most likely need to buy a tripod which is more money on TOP OF the 1400 that you will spend. Oh speaking of spending money, do you like 45w fast charging? Good, because you will have to pay for that out of pocket as well.

No Head phone jack. No S-Pen, Lousy Fingerprint Scanner(thanks Burwil!) and does not have 3d facial recognition unlock, instead uses selfie camera. 5g is also a gimmick and being that it is so new, may not work as well, or may not even be available in your area. What's the point of having a 5g phone if you can't even use 5g?

Price is absolutely horrible for a new phone. Very expensive. Its really not worth it you just got the s10 series or Note 10+. Do you really want to pay 1400 dollars for a phone that has 700 mah more and just a slightly better cpu and gpu which you probably won't be able to even notice the difference? All that and you can keep your current phone and wait for the Note 20 which probably will be wider, be just as fast, if not faster, and have a battery that will be just as big, if not better. That is what I am waiting for. That's all I can come up with on the fly, but you get the idea.

Last edited:

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Same lousy fingerprint scanner. Not interested in one of their new phones until they implement something better.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I won't even consider buying a new phone until my Note 10 is at least 2 years old.
I don't have to have the next shiny thing, I would much rather save or invest the money.

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I will wait for Note 20, i played with the S20 Ultra for almost and hour and was not impressed only thing camera and just a bigger battery and the 120 display and you can't really tell from 60 to 120 on the smoothness plus 120 depends what you on, me personally not worth the upgrade from the Note10 Plus, so I'll wait for the Note20 which will still be better than the S20 ultra no hurry here, my Note10 Plus is Outstanding so just letting some know my opinion.

Also besides that watch some that got the S20 Ultra upgrade to the Note20 which people will always fall for it lol.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
It's great to look at the S20 Ultra though, because you know that the Note 20 plus/ultra/whatever, will be all the Ultra is plus more

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
It's great to look at the S20 Ultra though, because you know that the Note 20 plus/ultra/whatever, will be all the Ultra is plus more
And it will be great to look at the note 20 also, because the S 21 or whatever will be all the note 20 is plus more. Not throwing the s pen in there as that's just extra the notes always have, other then that the 2 just copy each other with some extras added.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe