sound quality on tbolt

honex97

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I switched from a xperia play to my thunderbolt and the thunderbolt is superior in every way except one sound quality. I listen to rhapsody everyday at work and the equipment I use is really loud now when I used my play it was fine I could listen to rhapsody every day no problem now with my thunderbolt I can't even hear the music when its up to max volume I'm using the same everything. Headphones and program. Is it just the thunderbolt? Is it my thunderbolt? Is there something I can do to make it better?

willis936

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Craigslist us good for a lot of things, dunno about phones.

I would like to take this opportunity to critique the thunderbolt and most mobile devices audio. It takes a fair amount of components/phone real estate to make a nice mobile amp. This space is often used to fit the plethora of other peripherals like radios, processors, etc. That's fine and good it's impossible to please everyone but I have a few issues with the thunderbolt. There is a Very high noise floor, audible on headphones ranging up to 100 ohms and on ear buds (16 ohms) it's unbearable. Next there is some audible distortion when the volume is over 80%. This is expected with most amps and isn't noticed when using headphones because it's loud but if you're using your phone as a source it can make it hard to not hear the noise floor by turning up the volume but also not too high to avoid the distortion. I haven't had any issues driving my 64 ohm headphones (relatively efficient circumaural/full size).

-stock HTC Thunderbolt tapatalk

honex97

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
So now that HTC has acquired beats audio will there be a big difference in the audio if I were to buy a beats branded HTC phone? I listen to music A LOT on my phone so that would be a big selling point for me

willis936

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Well I'm sure they'll use it as a styling point but unless they go out of their way to spend more money (scoff yeah right) and make their phones even Bigger I doubt you'll notice much increase in quality. I could be wrong, but that's not the way the phone market rolls today.

Also I says in my post part of the issue are the phones you use. I've tested the noise issue on both mine and my dad's thunderbolt, it's just a design flaw.

-stock HTC Thunderbolt tapatalk

honex97

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
That's to bad I was really excited about that. Maybe ill take a look at that Sony live with walkmen that phone clearly seams to be music inspired. Is that even coming to Verizon?