Speeds while using home WiFi

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a brand new S22 Ultra. I have new frontier service for my Wi-Fi. I do not understand why it takes so long to connect sometimes. The WiFi signal is full. There's no obl one else using my Wi-Fi. It's used strictly for my alarm, smart plugs and phone.. No TV, no computer nothing. So why does it take sometimes over a minute to connect.
Yes I've set unimportant apps like games etc to no background use. I clear caches constantly.
Assuming that my thoughts are wrong that even though there's not a lot being used on my Wi-Fi and I'm the only one using a phone on it that it should be fast there's nothing else bogging it down so what makes it slow or is it because there's so much other traffic even though I'm not having it directed at my house it's still affects my speeds I'm just trying to understand

13Flossy

Apr 30, 2022
Visit site
My apologies, I answered this on another one of my posts. Here goes ..
I've run several test for speed regarding data and WiFi. All within the home. I typically do not use my phone outside of home except for the occasional call text, but mostly my downloaded music. So not much to report in those regards. I will try to take a speed test somewhere else, but I refuse to use WiFi anywhere but home. Just safer that way.

I was using spectrum and always had problems with everything Internet related and connected (alarm, Alexa etc) I've since switched to frontier and have no issues with anything else in the house

Also, yes I'm having other issues like I'm getting messages about using an invalid pw when signing into some apps. I know they're not invalid. However because I need to get into my account I opt for change password or password reset. But when I go to do the password reset it tells me that my passwords don't match even though I can see plainly that they do. There's a screen glitch that's been there since the day I got the phone it won't go away. There is a issue with the upcoming alarm on my time and weather widget it's showing oddball times and oddball days. Doesn't actually go off on those times and days that actually the alarm works correctly and gives me the right alarms when it goes off but it's showing wrong.
View attachment 344581View attachment 344582Screenshot_20220504-080847_Opensignal.jpgScreenshot_20220504-080805_Opensignal.jpgScreenshot_20220504-054740_Opensignal.jpgScreenshot_20220504-054652_Opensignal.jpgScreenshot_20220504-054611_Opensignal.jpgScreenshot_20220430-204931_Speedtest.jpgScreenshot_20220430-204841_Speedtest.jpgScreenshot_20220504-162222_Speedtest.jpgScreenshot_20220504-162124_Speedtest.jpgScreenshot_20220426-222609_Speedtest.jpg

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Like I mentioned in your other thread your home wi-fi isn't the problem, it's your Verizon/TracFone 4G data connection that is. It's pretty obvious after going through 3 phones, with those data speeds, that Verizon coverage is pretty poor in your area :-\ You need to try T-Mobile or AT&T, or one of their MVNO's to see which one will give you better data coverage for a price you're comfortable with. A quick internet search should give you some good ideas of what might work better in your location ;)

Also if you're home your phone shouldn't be running on 4G, it should be exclusively using your home wi-fi, unless your wi-fi is cutting in and out, which would cause the phone to switch between the wi-fi and cellular data (4G) icon. Even when you're on home wi-fi though, your phone will need some 4G usage in the background as well for some apps to work properly... which could explain why some apps are giving you trouble... your cell data is pretty much useless.

13Flossy

Apr 30, 2022
Visit site
Like I mentioned in your other thread your home wi-fi isn't the problem, it's your Verizon/TracFone 4G data connection that is. It's pretty obvious after going through 3 phones, with those data speeds, that Verizon coverage is pretty poor in your area :-\ You need to try T-Mobile or AT&T, or one of their MVNO's to see which one will give you better data coverage for a price you're comfortable with. A quick internet search should give you some good ideas of what might work better in your location ;)

Also if you're home your phone shouldn't be running on 4G, it should be exclusively using your home wi-fi, unless your wi-fi is cutting in and out, which would cause the phone to switch between the wi-fi and cellular data (4G) icon. Even when you're on home wi-fi though, your phone will need some 4G usage in the background as well for some apps to work properly... which could explain why some apps are giving you trouble... your cell data is pretty much useless.

I agree. I switched to at&t yesterday. Should have my new sim today. I also, accidentally while locating my IMEI AND ICCID, came across "NETWORK MOBILE STATE" and it is showing as disconnected. I find that to be strange. So I googled it. It's apparently more common with Android. Not surprising. There are many suggestions on how to fix it with carriers like At&t, Sprint and t mobile. Oddly, Verizon's don't come up as easily in general search. I'm not going to do anything yet tho. I have decided to back up my phone. Wipe is completely clean with factory data reset. Install new sim and start over. I'm just wanting to take every precaution I can to ensure nothing is carried over. Might be silly, but I've gone thru too many phones and far more headache. I do not want to inadvertently transfer anything to new sim or service etc etc etc. I greatly appreciate everyone's help. I can't wait to give a positive update. Any other thoughts before I do this process later are greatly appreciated.

13Flossy

Apr 30, 2022
Visit site

And this is purely to spread the word for anyone who doesn't know... Because I've switched carriers before and never experienced this tool Verizon... Excuse me.. Til parting ways with Verizon. They unregister this number now when you Port to another carrier. Which acts similar in similar ways as obtaining a be ATM card. You have to re register your phone number with everything... Ask your bank info, your bills info, zelle ... Everything has to be redone. Get it I get it they want to do whatever they can to make it miserable for you to switch but still come on I've had the phone number for years it's stupid

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
And this is purely to spread the word for anyone who doesn't know... Because I've switched carriers before and never experienced this tool Verizon... Excuse me.. Til parting ways with Verizon. They unregister this number now when you Port to another carrier. Which acts similar in similar ways as obtaining a be ATM card. You have to re register your phone number with everything... Ask your bank info, your bills info, zelle ... Everything has to be redone. Get it I get it they want to do whatever they can to make it miserable for you to switch but still come on I've had the phone number for years it's stupid

Wow... thanks for the warning. That's pretty underhanded :( I'm using TracFone on my back up line.. I was using it before Verizon bought them, but so far except for no transcription in my visual voicemail everything seems to be working okay. I would never switch my main line to Verizon though.