Sprint Galaxy S3 First Impressions/Reviews

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: Sprint Galaxy S III First Impressions/Reviews

TIP:
placing the phone to your ear while you’re viewing a contact (or a text conversation) will cause it to directly call that person, assuming you have a default number set.

Reactions: jerseygirl

MBM7881

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: So... First impressions?

And THIS is why I put a good case on my phone!! Even though I baby the F out of my phone, accidents are bound to happen!

i baby the heck outta my phones as well but i'm 6 months pregnant...super clumsy (wasn't with my 1st pregnancy) and i have a 4 year old son too...and i've always preferred cases for the "just in case" cuz as you said stuff does happen and since i tend to sell my old phones when i get a new one it helps that it looks just like the day i bought it. thats why i bought a body glove and some screen protectors in the mean time till i get my otterbox defender case from mobile city online in the next week to week & a half or so. then my S3 is going and staying in that case. i swear by otterbox lol

GQ50

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site

?Aesthetics?I, personally, am very impressed with the look and design of this phone. I love the subtle roundness and the silver band looks good offsetting the glossy white. The home button is not huge and blends in nicely?I like that the width is the same as the earpiece, providing visual balance. On my old Evo, I pushed the on/off button so much to wake the screen that it begin to become depressed and hard to push. Having this home button to wake the screen is a welcome change and I feel it will last the lifetime of the device (I have a feeling I won?t be rushing to upgrade this phone anytime soon). The only negative is that this baby picks up fingerprints like crazy?a case and screen protector is necessary. I also don?t like the process for removing the back cover, feels like I?m going to break the clips.

?Screen?The screen looks great to me! The colors are nice and deep and sharp enough for my needs. Compared to the Evo (old and new), it is a tad bit less sharp, but definitely not a deal breaker.

?Phone ? So far, the phone works great, on both ends the clarity and sound quality is good. The speakerphone is nice and loud. I haven?t used Bluetooth yet but I have hooked the phone up to the cassette jack in my car and the sound comes out great when listening to music or placing a call. What I don?t like about the phone is the actual phone screen. I don?t like how when you view the call log and click a name it doesn?t automatically call the person. You have to go to another screen and hit the call button?which I also don?t like where the icon is placed. Even from keypad, if you are typing the number and it begins to give you options to who the numbers are matched too, you have to hit the call button rather than just click on the number when you recognize it to place your call.

?Overall User Interface?This is going to take some time getting used to coming from an Evo. But I like the smoothness, and the motions are pretty cool. They work for me 95% of the time.

?Signal quality (Compared to other devices)?Still testing this out, as I have not gone many different places with the phone yet but so far it?s been fine.

?GPS?Works great, locks on quickly.

? Performance /Battery Life?Pretty good, I use the power saving option. I am also satisified with the speed even minus the LTE boost.

?Camera?I love it! I used this phone the day after receiving it to take pics at a wedding tht took place at an aquarium. Gave me the opportunity to test it in low lighting inside and while the sun was going down. My pics, particularly the indoor needing flash were so much better than my friend's who had an iphone.

Compared to my Evo, which was 3 years old, I'm glad I upgraded simply for the increased speed and storage alone. All of the other extra features are great, more like a bonus because I was very happy with that phone and used to it as well. Perhaps as time goes on I will feel that same comfortableness with this phone. Overall, I am happy with my purchase and looking forward to LTE rollout because I'm still a little sore at never getting 4g on the EVO. This $250+ purchase has to got to be fully justified, lol.

Thanks for talking about each feature of the phone. Not everyone here is giving that insight. Especially the GPS, Camera and call quality.

Rammsteinfan

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site

So got my SPrint SIII on Tuesday and been waiting for it to get 4G signal but I guess since its an LTE phone i cant use Wimax and stuck w/ 3G. Sending it back if thats the case, no sense in having an awesome phone thats 3G only for a year or more. :'(

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site

So got my SPrint SIII on Tuesday and been waiting for it to get 4G signal but I guess since its an LTE phone i cant use Wimax and stuck w/ 3G. Sending it back if thats the case, no sense in having an awesome phone thats 3G only for a year or more. :'(

Not sure why they chose to keep '4G' in the phones title since most associate 4G with the Wimax. I can see how some may feel misled and maybe think that its compatible with 4G and LTE. The only reason I know is from staying up on these discussion boards, but most ppl I know don't really know about or care to read the various phone blog sites.

I'm kind of bummed about dishing out this money for a phone with no LTE, but I'm willing to give Sprint one more try. If the LTE doesn't come through by the time it's time for me to upgrade I am seriously going to consider other alternative services. Especially since by then my daughter should be off my plan and if I have to pay a little more for better service, it should be affordable.

Good luck with finding the right phone for you!

defector

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

i received my gs3 on the 28th of June a week later than the original arrival(we all know what happened)...i was like a kid waiting on Christmas!!! LAWD!!!lol but when i got it ,it was everything i expected and read,defected from the palm pre to the evo 4g loved it but am back to my old tricks defected to this awesome beast of a phone thanks htc for making the new evo 4g lte with a non removable battery made my decision so much easier.am still learning and loving this phone.

thegordo

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site

I've had my SGS3 for almost a week now. I'm coming from an SGS2, which is now my wife's SGS2. She upgraded from her Intercept, so needless to say she's thrilled with it.

I was quite pleased with the SGS2, so I'm in heaven now. It's lighter, sleeker, and even more of a joy to use. I didn't realize how awesome the screen upgrade would be -- the SGS3 screen is just clear and wonderful. Netflix looks absolutely stunning on it. All on-screen actions are smooth and snappy -- it's really everything I would have wanted in that regard. Touchwiz is definitely improved, though I my jump to another. By default the home screens loop, so I haven't tested to see if I can set it so my wallpapers will scroll -- I hope so, it's one of those things I really like.

The hardware I don't like is the physical button at the bottom. I have no idea why they didn't keep it like all the other buttons. I hate that I have to add an entirely different level of pressure to activate that one item than I do everything else on the phone. And with a case that wraps around the edge, it's even a little hard to get to, esp. with one-handed actions. I find that button quite annoying, and wish it were like all the others.

The phone sounds great, and has great reception. I get a little bit better range with it than the SGS2. The phone graphics are updated and more pleasing, and you can have more than 9 speed-dial options, which I like (though I haven't used yet). The GPS appears stronger than my SGS2, and WiFi does just what it's supposed to without a hitch. Where I live and work doesn't have 4G, but I live near a city with 4G. I am not in the city too often, and when I am I rarely spend much time on apps that depend on heavy data use, so losing 4G wasn't a big issue for me. Naturally, I was told that LTE would be in sometime in the fall, so I figure it'll be here about the time I get the SGS4.

More built-in widgets than before, but nothing that amazes me. Others may have a better appreciation for them. Flipboard has a widget, and I kind of dig that app.

I do believe that ICS is more intuitive in handling cross-application contact information and is much closer to what I loved about webOS. This was very important to me, and the improvement is noticable.

Everything ported nicely from the SGS2 through Gmail and my Sprint account. The phone even started automatically downloading all my apps that I had loaded on the SGS2.

I haven't worked the media too much on this phone, but will soon. The external speaker on this phone is decidedly better than the SGS2, but then it's still a phone speaker.

For me, battery life is WICKEDLY BETTER than the SGS2, and immediately makes this phone a completely worthwhile upgrade for that feature alone.

In all, except for that D#%$ physical center button, this phone is an across-the-board improvement. I'm a happy customer.

Got2buzz

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Went to a Sprint store today to check out and Evo LTE also. IN the corporate store (North side of Chicago) the data speed was horrible. Samsung rep there could hardly get the phone to do anything on the net. I was embarrased for him.

Intial impressions (by a newbie):

pros-feels well built, colors are "Samsung vibrant", nice size, seems to run as well as could be expected on Sprint network (poor), no major lags when switching between apps, light weight, very attractive phone

Cons-for a newbie the UI was a bit confusing and disconnected somehow, MANY apps would not display in landscape (that DID on Evo), when viewing mainly printed pages the "white" background was dim and blue gray colored. I know a "fix" has been released for display brightness-either the 2 display phones didn't have the "fix" or ................? Disappointing:(

Found the Evo LTE to have a much cleaner/crisper display and everything just seemed to be more intuitive and much more fluid. If it wasn't for non removable battery I would have bought it today over the GSIII and I'm no fanboy of ANY brand.

My thanks to all that take the time to post-I appreciate you!:D

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

I have had the phone for a week now. I came from the Epic 4G Touch, and I had the EVO 4G LTE for a little over a week, waiting for the galaxy S 3.

First, I would like to say how happy I am they did not make every version different. Before the phone dropped, I was not all that excited. I think I got a little too caught up in specs, was not sure how I felt about a physical button, and was not even sure if I liked how the phone looked (and the color options).

After seeing it in person, it was a pretty easy decision for me. I got the white because it was the only one best buy had, and I wasn't quite sure about the blue and how it looks different depending on the light. Plus, the blue's button looked a different color to me.

The Hardware is good.. It is a completely different approach when compared to the EVO, but I love it. It feels great in the hand. It is not so slick, where it feels like I am going to drop it. It is easy to perceive the EVO as having a better build quality. Because of the metal, matte finish, weight etc. But this phone is durable. The white looks fantastic. I definitely get some comments from friends and in public.
Still not sure about the button. I like how you can wake the phone from the button. But for other things, I sometimes wish I could just lightly brush my finger across a touch sensitive button. But I am used to it now. Probably good nothing major was changed because we probably would not have these in our hands if we had to wait for revisions.
The speakerphone is louder than the EVO LTE, so that is a plus.

The screen is awesome. I guess it goes without saying that the EVO has a slightly better screen, but this is still a great screen.

The camera seems top notch. I think it does better in low light situations than the EVO. Kind of sucks not having a physical camera button.

The software will hold me over until I get some custom ROMs. There is definitely a ton more to explore than with the EVO. Lots of customization. The motions are all pretty cool. I like the swipe to take a screen shot. Also like how you can raise the phone to your ear to automatically call the contact you are looking at in a text. Smart stay is even cool. It is not the most functional thing because of the angle you might be viewing the screen, or if you are in the dark. Smart Stay is still a cool feature to brag about though. I think things are snappier on this phone when compared to the EVO. Also like how it is a little closer to vanilla ice cream sandwich than the EVO. S Voice is even fun to play with for a bit. Kind of feels dated already though since Jelly Beans' Google Now' was just unveiled.

Signal Quality seems better than previous devices, but I don't thing it is as great as the EVO. Don't know why it seems like Samsung have weak radios. You would think by now they would have figured it out. But I get more roaming alerts than I did with the EVO.

The GPS works flawlessly.

Battery life is great. Not getting as much out of it as I did with the EVO LTE, but that could be because of how I have this configured. Think I am also tinkering with this one a bit more throughout the day so that could be it. It is way better than the E4GT.

Overall I am completely satisfied with this phone. I did not bother comparing it to the E4GT..but compared to the EVO LTE it suits me better. I find the multitasking on the EVO to be absolutely ridiculous. Don't understand why I experience any lag on a new high end device. Simple things like adding a wallpaper take longer on the EVO than on my GS3. But the only thing I might change would be the physical casing of the phone. I love how solid the EVO LTE feels. Don't get me wrong, this phone fits my hand well..but I think I am drawn to the design of the EVO a bit more. But this phone turns more heads if that means anything for anyone.

charlie hustle

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

Im going to be short. Love it. Im coming from an og evo, evo3d to this. And this is a major leap. Im glad i chose this instead of the evo4g lte.

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site

After on whole day here are my impressions:

•Aesthetics - This phone looks amazing. I have to admit that after handling this, the GNex and the EVO, this just had a better in hand feel for me, totally my opinion but it just felt good. However, the phone feels so slick. I would have preferred a soft touch finish or something to make the phone feel a little grippier.

•Screen - The screen is amazing, I have been playing around with some pretty mild use (no streaming video or hardcore games) and I love it. I have pretty big hands so the size isn’t an issue at all. I can easily reach any part of it I need with my thumb when using it one handed. But again, the slipperiness of the phone kinda makes that feel dangerous at times.

•Phone – Call quality is pretty good, I haven’t used it much but I don’t really notice a difference from my OG EVO.

•Overall User Interface – Eh, I got used to Sense, and there were things I liked and hated there. Touchwiz isn’t really that great for me. There are certain things I like, but I personally feel that OEM skins should be an option and stock Android should be standard without having to root and flash ROM’s. That said, come on CM10!!!

•Signal quality (Compared to other devices) – Compared to my OG EVO I can’t complain. It’s really about the same so far, but I haven’t went to where I know there are dead zones and checked there yet.

•GPS - N/A Haven't used it yet.

• Performance /Battery Life – Performance is smooth as…well, the back of the phone. Battery life, with the phone on automatic brightness and using it fairly hard (for me), with nothing more than reading, downloading apps, and light game play is on par with my old phone, so I’m pleased there, but I haven’t went too crazy and taxed it either yet.

•Camera – Pretty solid. I took some video and stills today and it was pretty responsive and very high quality, I was quite pleased with that.

Overall, I really like this phone, I’m looking forward to playing around with it and making it “mine.”

cornbread16

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

OK gonna keep it short and sweet. I had the epic touch 4g, but the screen had cracked and i took it in to BB to get it repaired.

I have the Buyback rewards, so my epic was worth 350 toward a new phone.

(I also wanted to thank the people who posted about Radio Shack 149 price on the S3 I got BB to price match it)

I initially wanted the nexus, because i just wasnt fond of the s3 Home button.(and the nexus with no capacitive buttons looks sweet.

But because the nexus wasnt available to purchase, i decided to give the s3 a try.

I figured if i dont like it, i will bring it back and buy a nexus after the ban was lifted.

Well needless to say after 2 hours i knew i wouldnt need to trade this puppy in.

The screen is great. Its soooooo fast and feels great in the hand, albeit a bit slippery.

Its one of the few phones where a case doesnt make the phone a pain to carry, because it so thin.

So i personally want to thank apple for getting the nexus banned, because if it didnt i would've never purchased this phone

I opted for the blue S3 and i absolutely love the home button

I no longer have to reach on the RH side of the phone to wake the screen :):):):):)

shahid99

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

Got mine for 400 pebble blue is it a good deal?? Love the phone amazing .

Im also reciving evo 4g lte so ganna check hows that one and than sell one

Which1 should i keep .

Htc i dont like charging side ways . N reaching top for power botton n awaking phone

Samsung its eaiser hmmmmmm lets see

jonathanm1978

Super-elite full-time dad
Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
?Phone ? So far, the phone works great, on both ends the clarity and sound quality is good. The speakerphone is nice and loud. I haven?t used Bluetooth yet but I have hooked the phone up to the cassette jack in my car and the sound comes out great when listening to music or placing a call. What I don?t like about the phone is the actual phone screen. I don?t like how when you view the call log and click a name it doesn?t automatically call the person. You have to go to another screen and hit the call button?which I also don?t like where the icon is placed. Even from keypad, if you are typing the number and it begins to give you options to who the numbers are matched too, you have to hit the call button rather than just click on the number when you recognize it to place your call.

hey, here's a tip:
While in the call log, swipe from left to right on a name to call that contact. Swipe from right to left on a contact to send/compose a text to that contact. I found this yesterday, thought I would share, it saves that extra step of having to view the contact to make a call/send them a text.

I had to come to the computer to edit this post, I hope this tip helps a lot of people, maybe it should be in the tips & tricks thread about this phone too...I just happened to find this, and never had another android device with this "swipe contact to text/call" option. I was noticing too that it was taking an extra step to make a call from the call log..I was like, sheesh..that's going backward, not forward. I used to 'long-press' on a contact, then click on Call *NAME* to make a call..then I got this phone, and I had to click on the contact, click on call...etc.
I accidentally swiped across the call log yesterday and it started calling my wife without warning...I was like, "NO NO NO, WE ARE IN CHURCH!!"

Another tip:
Don't play with your phone in church and find new, interesting things that it does..like making calls with swiping a contact. Makes for embarrassing moments sometimes, especially when you snap a photo while someone is praying because you're holding the phone up for your infant daughter to stare at the screen so she will be quiet....
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

(Also, when you swipe from left-to-right, the contact you swiped will turn green and the word "CALL" will show up in the middle of the screen, then the screen changes to the active-call screen..
When you swipe from right-to-left, the contact you swiped turns orange, and the texting screen comes up with the keyboard already active and ready for you to type a message.)
******* also when viewing a contact in the contact list, swipe from left to right to call, right to left to text. ******

Last edited:

NateBoii

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

just happy to see all the happy gs3 owners,
cnt wait for my upgrade later this yr. gs3 should
be on jb stock. if nothing better is out by then, I'm
all over it. im still on my og galaxy epic 4G. and a
newer galaxy seems to be the only phone that
makes me drool right now. just love what sammy
does with these beautiful android flagship phones,