Sprint's Samsung Epic 4g Official Froyo EB13

How did your update to EB13 go?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

esuuuu09

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
So just manually updated via update.zip.

So here are my experiences. The phone was really slow for the first 10 minutes, took forever to unlock, touchwiz, calendar and several other programs didn't work and had to resync again. After about 30 min of fooling around with it and just letting it do its thing (with a few reboots), everything is up and running now. :D

oh and I was stock dl18. THanks everyone :)

mikachu

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Someone please run a benchmark like quadrant on froyo build please.

is the phone any faster now?(not that it was slow before).

Update: I just updated to FroYo and and i got a quadrant score of 1051. This was on the phones first boot after froyo install(maybe it will get better score after some more reboots as it might of been aggregating data from the cloud).

Overall my install was really smooth and I am impressed with froyo so far. It seems faster and I love the flash already. I also love the new youtube (I can playback vertically and there is a hq button).

An issue others have mentioned is that sliding the keyboard open at homescreen has a hangup of 3 seconds to load the tiles on the homescreen. NOt a problem to me cuz i dont use my keyboard :) (Im thinking of turning it into a gamepad like that one guy).
Also like the new version of SWYPE keyboard as it i can finally keep up with my normal typing.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
When I first got my Epic 4G, I used the one-click root exploit from xda. If you did that, you WON'T be able to use the update.zip method. You'll get the Status 7 error when it checks your system.

However, I WAS able to use update.zip after running the one-click root uninstall procedure. For anyone in the same situation, you can go to One Click Root & Recovery for the Epic 4G! v2.5.5 Now has ClockworkMod Redirector! - xda-developers and download the files you need to unroot the phone and prepare it for updating.

Presumably, the OTA won't work either unless you restore the phone to stock by one means or another.

HTH.

Reactions: baconnbitz2010

oalvarez#AC

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Can someone tell me how to fix the problemmwith the lag on my gallery, it would take so long to open and load my folders and pictures. I never had that problem with 2.1. Help Would be really Appreciated

skyward

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Did the windows install and at first glance it seems to be working normally. I was rooted eclair with custom rom and and kernel.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

citiz

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
When I first got my Epic 4G, I used the one-click root exploit from xda. If you did that, you WON'T be able to use the update.zip method. You'll get the Status 7 error when it checks your system.

However, I WAS able to use update.zip after running the one-click root uninstall procedure. For anyone in the same situation, you can go to One Click Root & Recovery for the Epic 4G! v2.5.5 Now has ClockworkMod Redirector! - xda-developers and download the files you need to unroot the phone and prepare it for updating.

Presumably, the OTA won't work either unless you restore the phone to stock by one means or another.

HTH.

Could someone tell me how to uninstall CWM? Are there steps? I trolled XDA and can't find them...

anon4757448

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I have a question. I noticed that my phone is unrooted and I have clockworkmod. Can I still do the update thing from the Samsung site or do I have to flash back to stock, THEN do the samsung thing and will either way (hopefully!) erase my root and clockworkmod. I don't really have any use for either of them. If not, is there a way I can erase CWM from my phone? I haven't erased any bloatware and don't have any roms on my phone.

ETA Can anyone tell me my I get a error 7 when I tried to do the update zip thing? Is it because of CWM?

I had the same problem as you. I had to flash back to stock using Odin and the update went right through.

Instructions on how to go back to stock are in the ROMs and hacks section. It took longer to download the files than it did to flash back and the CWM recovery was gone! Like you, I think CWM was causing my issues. Oh, you will have to reinstall your apps so you my want to write them down.

Hope this helps...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Can I update using Windows 7 64 bit, Samsung's requirements state 32 bit?

Thanks

If your going to use the Windows Installer utility download then it says on the link Windows 7. If your nervous about trying this seeing how it says 32 bit which I can't confirm (I'm Vista 64 bit) then you could always using the manual "update.zip" method.

Reactions: tjboge513

bearcatman99

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
SO I know I am going to get hollered at for this...but...

I am rooted. I have CW 3.?.?.?(orange) EXT4. DK28. And running T.E.R. Rom.

Currently they are working on a zip. update so I dont have to flash back in odion and I can just upgrade to eb13 like I would flash a new rom correct?

Also, I have a mac, so that way is the easiest, but I can use a friends to use odion if I have to go back to stock.

My only question is, is there a new update.zip rom coming out that will take me from rooted dk28, to rooted eb13? Or....do I need to flash back to stock (which I really dont want to do)

And Thanks in advanced

DarkLupus

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
OK some help please

Cannot connect to a computer heres what i tried...

• Used Samsung usb cord
  • Tried on a XP Machine
  • Tried on a Windows 7 Machine
  • Tried on a OSX Machine
  • Tried on a Linux Machine
  • Yes usb debugging is off
  • Yes i have tried to turn it on (and off)
  • Tried all possible ports on all systems front and back
  • Tried a 3rd party cord
  • Uninstalled Samsung drivers completely
  • Reinstalled them
  • Tried without them period

STILL getting no detection from any of the systems...best response I've gotten is from the windows 7 system which just says could not be recognized.

Someone help please if i go to a sprint store will they replace my phone?
Waited for froyo official release so i could then root and change to EXT4 but since i cant connect to a computer...no go

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
SO I know I am going to get hollered at for this...but...

I am rooted. I have CW 3.?.?.?(orange) EXT4. DK28. And running T.E.R. Rom.

Currently they are working on a zip. update so I dont have to flash back in odion and I can just upgrade to eb13 like I would flash a new rom correct?

Also, I have a mac, so that way is the easiest, but I can use a friends to use odion if I have to go back to stock.

My only question is, is there a new update.zip rom coming out that will take me from rooted dk28, to rooted eb13? Or....do I need to flash back to stock (which I really dont want to do)

And Thanks in advanced
I wouldn't rule it out that they are trying to create something flashable in CWM but who knows when it will surface.

So you could fire up your old buddy Odin and go that route if your in a hurry.

bearcatman99

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Odin is more of a pain in the butt Ex girlfriend than a friend :) I think I may just wait till the experts come up with something.

For those people who have flashed and updated, is GPS fixed? I am still only getting a 3000 meter connection. Ever since I flashed my GPS has been on the blink. And I have tried almost everything to fix it (yes I have followed the links and post). Just because I dont post, doesn't mean I dont read on here everyday.

"Better to have big ears than a big mouth..."

Reactions: LadyEpic

rockets95

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I was running DK28 and just updated to the latest EB13 using the Windows installer version provided by Samsung. Their software was very easy to use and easy to install. I did a clean install, so I had to redownload all my apps and reconfigure things. Since I did that a few weeks ago when putting on DK28, it wasn't that big of a deal.

GPS works great, seems to be snappier than DK28, and they fixed the browser text resizing issue that existed on DK28. I rooted the phone to fix my headset button so that it works with my music and podcast apps. The battery life looks to be pretty comparable to DK28 so far.

cartman#AC

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Take out your sd card and put it into your computer.
Copy complete contents to your computer.
Format sd card.
Copy all your files back to sd card.
remount sd card into phone.

This has worked for many.

Followed your recommendation and it worked perfectly. Everything is working well now.

THANK YOU!:D

Eric Lee Elliott

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Failed How did your update to EB13 go?

I need survey option "failed update to E13".

Auto & manual install of 2.2 fails for lack of some Sprint bloatwares. Factory reset does not install missing bloatwares. I use only Linux, never Windiz, not even in VirtualBox. So where can I find a Linux alternative to Odin? Or where is a way to install 2.2 using only D700 or with Linux?

I am willing to learn but every Linux install post only tells how to use Windiz software.

cartman#AC

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Did this also fix the camera not working?

Yes. Camera, Music Player, Video Player, Gallery, anything multimedia that was not working after the manual update got fixed after formatting the sd card. I just followed the advise on the forum.
Turned off the phone
Took out the sd card
Inserted it in on my pc
Copied everything on the sd card to a folder on my pc
Formatted the sd card with the same file system (FAT32)
Copied all the content back the the sd card
Put the sd card back on the phone
Powered up the phone and everything that was having trouble before started working again

It still doesn't make sense to me on why this would work, but the important thing is that it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick