Sprint's Samsung Epic 4g Official Froyo EB13

How did your update to EB13 go?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyEpic

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
After hearing from Samsung that there was no difference between their download and Sprint's OTA, and seeing on Sprint's forums a note that Samsung's download can be used instead, I decided to do the manual update. Fortunately, it seemed to work pretty well, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way. GPS did seem better, even getting a lock indoors relatively quickly, but I had some minor issues with calendar syncing which was easily fixed. I tried a web site with Flash content, and it played fine. I just have to work out the app2sd thing (do I need a separate app for this?) and I think I'll be set.

Try downloading AppBrain in the android market. I found that it makes it really easy managing apps2sd give it a try. Plus appbrain is good backup for your apps in case of wipe or any other tragedy that may happen !!!

aeast317#AC

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
since i updated it seems that my TWLauncher is lagging, lets say im viewing my home screen and then pull out the keyboard and turn to landscape (i cant just rotate the phone on the homescreen, it doesnt move!) it takes nine seconds for my icons to pop up

anyone know what i can do to fix this problem?

Clorox Kid

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna look through this thread for some tips. but could someone help me out personally? I've never rooted before and want to upgrade to Froyo :'(

greenmuggy

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Better yet, does anyone know how to do the "update.zip" method using a windows PC? I could really use the help.

How Do I Update The Software On My Sprint SPH-d700 (Epic 4G) Phone To Android 2.2 Froyo EB13 Build From A PC? this is much easier than the update zip this is the best way to do it right super easy just follow directions just make sure u have more than 50% battery it says have it all the way charged but that's just 2 make sure your phone don't die in the middle of the update

greenmuggy

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
pulled????????wtf

I've got eb13 one click rooted with cwm3/ext4/duel-fs kernel & the only prob i have is blue-tooth & WiFi stability it wont remember anything for more than 5min but if i manage 2 get a solid connection its all good until i turn the radios off........then......nuthin...... i hafta reconnect all over again......the hard way......

other than that my phone has been running faster & smoother than ever b4 even beats viper rom

pmoline

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Official Build is still available, and still listed on Sprint's website and available to DL from Samsung. I am starting to think this "update pulled" is BS!!

here is some further info from sprint on resolving SD card issues and Calendar sync problems.

Sprint Community: 2/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release...
Sprint Community: Samsung Epic: Samsung Epic Maintenance Releases
I did the manual update. Everything was fine except I couldn't assign any sound / ringtone. Just would force close. Also could not pull up any photos or play any music on sd card. I backed up my sd card to my pc, then on the phone I formated the card. Then I put all my music, ringtones, and pics back and it was perfect after that

kc8flb

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Did the manual update. Started having issues. Long time for the app icons to appear after closing physical keyboard, 3G issues, etc.

being frustrated, I totally wiped the phone and reinstalled my apps, one by one and everything is running perfectly! Like a brand new phone. I think this is the answer. Nuke the phone and reinstall all apps.

Using launcher pro and it is fast!

JonOvalle

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
EPIC FAIL

Whats so hard with Samsung and Sprint doing their job.. RIGHT and ON TIME?

Epic 4G.
Great Concept if it was kept up within its release but in my personal reality...
EPIC FAIL

Kite09

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I performed the update, rooted with EXT4 and it works fine most of the time. Sometimes the phone completely crashes and even the power button is unresponsive. I end up needing to take out the battery and reboot the phone. Also my weather channel app doesn't work but that's not really a big problem. Has anyone else been experiencing this problem?

montanaxvi

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I did the update via SD card on the first day and didn't have any problems the first 24 hours. Since then it has been a number of random lockups where the phone will vibrate like I have haptic feedback turned on and the screen will be unresponsive, and today I was just sitting here and the phone turned itself on...didn't even know it had turned itself off...I just heard the boot sequence and looked down to see it saying Galaxy S and then reboot.

I've about had it with Sprint and Samsung with this phone, it could have really been great. I'm about to root it and deal with the problems as the come with the great community that seems to care more about a product they are making no money off of than the corporations that are fleecing us left and right as it is.

Reactions: alientech

bigtimeweb

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I did the update via SD card on the first day and didn't have any problems the first 24 hours. Since then it has been a number of random lockups where the phone will vibrate like I have haptic feedback turned on and the screen will be unresponsive

Same! And also when I try to power off - the buttons on bottom stay lit for quite some time, then the vibration a couple of times then it turns off, or sometimes it just stays locked there.

I also have major issues with 3G radio not wanting to know it exists....have had to stay on 4G.

Heard my radio turning on and off and look at it says PRL updated - I didnt do it...

Kinda frustrated that the docks that were supposed to have audio feature with 2.2 (of which I bought TWO) don't ?!

:confused:

montanaxvi

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Same! And also when I try to power off - the buttons on bottom stay lit for quite some time, then the vibration a couple of times then it turns off, or sometimes it just stays locked there.

I also have major issues with 3G radio not wanting to know it exists....have had to stay on 4G.

Heard my radio turning on and off and look at it says PRL updated - I didnt do it...

Kinda frustrated that the docks that were supposed to have audio feature with 2.2 (of which I bought TWO) don't ?!

:confused:

I don't turn my phone off much if ever to be honest, so I don't know if there are any issues with the powering down that weren't present before. I don't have a great 4G coverage area around me so that isn't turned on much at all either, it is usually WiFi while at home or 3G when at work.

I haven't had any issues with anything other than the lockups that I mentioned above, gonna wait it out a little bit and see if there is a maintenance release to correct the issues that caused them to pull the update and if not I'll probably end up rooting and using something from the community.

blicht10069

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Pathetic Samsung Development Staff

Not trying to attack you but either you modded some stuff you should have not you have or you have a bad phone or something because almost every one has had a good update and not many probs and there are a number of things that are better on EB13 then dk28 DK28 was unstable and did not work to well this build (eb13) works dang well for me and most others...

sorry you having probs hope you can work it out I would nuke your phone and start from scratch i bet you have better luck doing that...

Sorry, but your incorrect. I have no mods on my phone. I am clearly not the only one experiencing problems as they pulled the update. As a software developer I can recognize a poor developement staff when I see one. I stand by my earlier statement. Every single person in Samsungs software developement department should be fired. Start over with a new staff. This will delay indefinitely any updates, of course, but their reputation is so badly damaged at this point that they need a hail mary pass if they are going to survive.

Your statement that the update is worked well for most others is technically true, but as I stated in my orignal message, a 70% success rate, with a 30% destructive rate is unacceptable. I recognize that 70% of the people are going to agree with you, but this is just a personal bias. If I ever rolled out code with that rate of failure I'd be fired on the spot. I've released my share of bugs to be sure, but I fix them within hours.

The sansumg developers are nothing short of pathetic

scottkoblitz

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
After doing the manual install via the mac version with the sd card can I remove the udate files or do they need to be there? Nevermind, I thought about it for a minuite and said duh!lol

Last edited:

ShooterMcED

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
So after reading everything above, I backed-up my SD card and ran the Samsung software for a manual update. Was done in under 4 minutes, logged into my Gmail account and bam.....everything is up and runnning. Pics are there, media is the, calendar entries all there.....no issues. Started with a stock Epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.