Still feel my LG G4 shot better than the V20

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
ok, same thing. front row, very well lit show. ..same white out effects. atempted manual and auto. being sent a replacement but if anyone has any settings or other knowledge that might help the cause please let me know

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
the two above examples, taken with G4. Not perfect by any means, but conditions much harsher than the V20 examples and came out so much better.

really hoping its a faulty camera in mine because as i said I really do love this phone but im baffled how i consistently and with ease got great pics with the G4, and the last 4 concerts with the V20 just a washed out mess

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
They're both rated extremely closely. They have the exact same score on still shots, with the V20 being better at video. The G5 is actually LG's best camera phone so far for stills and it ties with the V20 on video, though they're good at different things.

Here's a breakdown including the strengths of each:

LG Cameras.png

So depending on the type of shot, it's very feasible that the G4 can get some better shots - especially if we're talking about still photos using auto mode in good lighting.

dazimmermann

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Is the protective plastic off the lens? Had a Note 4 for 18 months before corner came loose and I realized the stupid plastic was still on. Shots were great though, even through plastic.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Surprisingly the replacement phone came today. I'll do all my due diligence make sure all the plastic is off and all other things... but I don't know it's weird I'm not expecting that much of an improvement with the new unit. This phone does everything amazingly but it was honestly almost effortless to get amazing concert shots with the G4 and with all the examples of the different venues and concerts on the v20 I can't think it's only my own stupidity making every single photo no matter what the lighting conditions are look ghosted out and awful.

Vforce7

Banned
Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
Surprisingly the replacement phone came today. I'll do all my due diligence make sure all the plastic is off and all other things... but I don't know it's weird I'm not expecting that much of an improvement with the new unit. This phone does everything amazingly but it was honestly almost effortless to get amazing concert shots with the G4 and with all the examples of the different venues and concerts on the v20 I can't think it's only my own stupidity making every single photo no matter what the lighting conditions are look ghosted out and awful.

Don't take the protection off the lens

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
OP, have you tried taking a RAW shot with both?

If not try doing so. LG's JPEG processing can be rather smeary, which results in that "oil-painting" effect which may come from overly-aggressive noise reduction.

It's also worth noting that the G4 and V20 use different camera sensors. The G4 used a 1/2.6" Sony Exmor IMX234 with a 16MP resolution plus 1.12 micron pixels. The V20 uses a smaller 1/2.8" Sony Exmor IMX298 with a 16MP resolution as well and the same 1.12-micron pixels.

As a fun fact, the V20 uses the same camera sensor as the OnePlus 3 and 3T.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
OP, have you tried taking a RAW shot with both?

If not try doing so. LG's JPEG processing can be rather smeary, which results in that "oil-painting" effect which may come from overly-aggressive noise reduction.

It's also worth noting that the G4 and V20 use different camera sensors. The G4 used a 1/2.6" Sony Exmor IMX234 with a 16MP resolution plus 1.12 micron pixels. The V20 uses a smaller 1/2.8" Sony Exmor IMX298 with a 16MP resolution as well and the same 1.12-micron pixels.

As a fun fact, the V20 uses the same camera sensor as the OnePlus 3 and 3T.
I guess they used the slightly smaller sensor to save room for the second sensor? Sounds plausible enough.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I guess they used the slightly smaller sensor to save room for the second sensor? Sounds plausible enough.
The size difference is very slightly, so even though space could be a reason, the G5 was able to have a secondary sensor with a slightly larger sensor.

The real reason is that the IMX298 has phase-detection autofocus while the IMX234 does not.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
The size difference is very slightly, so even though space could be a reason, the G5 was able to have a secondary sensor with a slightly larger sensor.

The real reason is that the IMX298 has phase-detection autofocus while the IMX234 does not.
Nice homework. Thanks for the info.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
No matter what option I use (manual/automatic) or settings, my "challenging" shots on the V20 still come out looking like oil paintings. My G4 gave me some amazing shots in the same environments (mostly concerts). I just dont get it. Ive been front row, back of house, middle, and they all come out horrid... washed out colors, huge halo effects, blur, while the G4 was crisp and clear.

Any suggestions at all? Love this phone, I do, and really want to keep it, but the camera just isn't working for me.

I am on my third v20. It takes absolute **** pictures.. I had the LG G4 until it started bootlooping and I had to get rid of it. Since then I've had the S7 edge, V10, pixel XL. I hate this phone. I feel like I stepped Way Way Back by getting it. I really wanted to like it, but the reality of it is it just sucks. Any app that requires a web connection is extremely slow when connected to wifi or mobile network. I can't get over how much of a turd this thing is.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
The well lit still photos are fine. But the fact i have to try different methods to get decent concerts pics wherw the G4 was effortless to get good to great shots. People used to comment a lot on my concert shots but they are now are so bad I don't even really post anymore. Debating the G6, even tho i love this phone, if they get a camera closer to the G4. i just cant get thre V20 to produce for me.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
The well lit still photos are fine. But the fact i have to try different methods to get decent concerts pics wherw the G4 was effortless to get good to great shots. People used to comment a lot on my concert shots but they are now are so bad I don't even really post anymore. Debating the G6, even tho i love this phone, if they get a camera closer to the G4. i just cant get thre V20 to produce for me.

Is that with your replacement phone?

Vforce7

Banned
Jan 25, 2017
Visit site

Concert shots are not treated the same as low light shots with cameras in auto mode. The lighting effects often cause conflicts in the way the camera responds to low light. In auto mode I've gotten poor results even with pro equipment.
I have no problem with low light photos on the V20. I have not used it in a concert setting but if I did it would not be in auto.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, ive tried the manual mode for concert photos, and still cant get much at all worthwhile. the examples above were all shot in manual, both with the v20 (which all look like ghosted messes) and the g4, which aren't award winning but you can actually see skin tone and no halo effect from the lighting. im not sure what im doing wrong, but as I said, it was rather effortless on the G4 with concerts, and after my 3rd consecutive concert with basically nothing useable I figured either the phone was broke or the sensors just weren't made for it.

I haven't had a chance yet to try with the replacement phone but Im not expecting much different. just a real bummer, as I took a chance replacing a phone I was happy with for a theoretical upgrade, but as the poster above said.. it feels like it took steps backwards