Still stuck on 4.1.1

vmatta

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm about to go bonkers and could really use some help/advice. I have been searching the forums for the past hour so please pardon my lack of search skills if this has been covered somewhere already.

I have the Google Nexus 4 with Sprint as my carrier, and I cannot get it to update from 4.1.1 to anything more recent. The phone is not rooted, stock build, etc. It keeps popping up with a system update prompt, so I allow it to restart to install, and about 1/4 of the way through, Andy dies. No messages, no error codes to give me a clue about what the problem is.

I have taken my phone in to all three of the Sprint repair centers near me, and they say anything from 'the newer build isn't available yet' to the latest 'that's a developers phone, we can't force it to update'. Since I figured out how to make the system update reappear (for a lack of a better way to describe it) I know that can't be the case.

Anyway, short of chucking this thing at a Sprint reps face, thus voiding my warranty and likely spending some time in jail, can someone please help me figure this out? I'd like to avoid rooting this thing as I've been successful in updating my nexus 7 tablet without doing so.

Build info: JRO03U.L700FH05
Android 4.1.1

*attached a capture of the system screen, I think.

willdogs

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
This thread is making my head explode. Sprint? Verizon? What are you people talking about?!

vmatta please confirm the model of your phone. You don't have a Nexus 4 since it will not work on sprint due to it being a CDMA Phone, you are probably talking about a Samsung Galaxy 4

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Galaxy Nexus on Sprint? If you're on Sprint, and the device works, it's NOT a Nexus 4.

Edit : Seeing that the 4.2.1 buid for the Sprint Gnex is JRO03U.L700GA02....pretty safe to say you're in the wrong forum. AC post says it startig rollig out in January...so you're a bit late to that party. Store reps earning their infamous reputation for you...

vmatta

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Ew boy, apparently I'm far more confused (read: dur) than I thought I was. Yes, it's a Samsung and yes, I am definitely in the wrong area. Gah, very sorry. So frustrated that I'm spewing the same mixed up garble the Sprint people throw at me. :-[

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ew boy, apparently I'm far more confused (read: dur) than I thought I was. Yes, it's a Samsung and yes, I am definitely in the wrong area. Gah, very sorry. So frustrated that I'm spewing the same mixed up garble the Sprint people throw at me. :-[

S'OK... I'll still try to help you out.

It looks like the JRO03R build is the official 4.1.1 for Sprint GNex. How you got to JRO03U, I do not know...

I don't think you can do an OTA (Over the Air) update because of the U in your build. Look here at the Sprint support page: Find and update the software version on your Galaxy Nexus

There is an official 4.2.1 ROM for your device. Here's the download link: https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/mysidspr-ga02-factory.tgz - from this page - https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

I'd suggest using WugFresh's Nexus Root Toolkit. Nexus Root Toolkit v1.6.3 | WugFresh

You don't have to Unlock/Root/Mod if you don't want. What it will do is help you get the proper drivers on your computer if needed. Then it will flash stock for you.

I'd download the 4.2.1 ROM and when flashing select "I have my own file" option.

If you have any problems let us know. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sirius_A