Stuck in headphone mode

Kahroo

Android in training
Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I am trying to fix my sisters OV and her phone is stuck in headphone mode. I have no idea why.

I've tried a restarting, battery pull, I've even rooted her phone and still nothing. Any help?

bjzapp

Where did u hear tht word
Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
So, you're saying you rooted after this issue arose? If so, are you still basically stock? I would double check your system settings, and also your music app settings. Problem may lie there

Kahroo

Android in training
Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes this problem was happening even before I rooted and put on BACKside. The only way to hear anything is to have headphones in.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

magus7091

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
If radical software changes didn't fix it, that suggests a hardware issue. If the phone thinks headphones are plugged in, then you likely have a short in your headphone port. Flash back to stock and get it repaired/ replaced by vm if it's under warranty, otherwise try a phone repair service or break out the screwdrivers... I know of no other advice to give, save this: Try a dust cap that plugs into your 3.5 mm jack. If the contacts are shorting that may be the bandage you need.

RyanJKremer

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Pull your battery. Make a small hook out of a paperclip. Go "fishing" for debris in the headphone jack. Follow-up with a q-tip and some isopropyl alcohol.

You'd be amazed at the amount of crap that gets suck in there! Mine was once so full of pocket-lint that out was pushing the headphones back out!

Sean OGorman

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I accidentally spilled water on my OV last September and some went in the headphone jack, causing it to stay in headphone mode for about a day.

charry stypes

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I think i have the same problem but its caused by unplugging the jack before pausing the music. i dont know what to do. my phone is android 2.3 gingerbread.

I?ve tried all the suggestions i cleaned the remaining debris, i used headset blocker, and i used alcohol and q-tip but still it does?nt go away. The only thing i did?nt do is restore or root my phone.

Can anyone help fix this problem without restoring?

I cant restore cause still i have remaining important files. Waiting for reply. Tnx!

Joe Barrow1

May 31, 2013
Visit site
My Google Nexus 4 does the same thing and I found this on a forum:

It really needs to be said that graphite powder permanently fixes the problem with getting stuck in headset mode.

Go to a hardware store, pick up a tube of graphite powder for around $3.

1) Gently squeeze a couple puffs of graphite powder into headset jack.

2) Turn phone upside down to let excess fall out.

3) Grab a pair of headphones and insert/remove them several times.

4) Enjoy your new, permanently fixed phone.

It helps to be connected to a call while doing this (I simply connected to my voicemail) so you can watch the headset icon in the lower left corner while inserting/removing the headset. When the icon switches back to the regular 'phone' icon, you're done.

After you do this, you can use headphones/headsets as much as you'd like and it shouldn't get stuck in headset mode ever again. I did this months ago and have been rampantly using headphones since then and have had no problems. And before that, the only thing that could release it from headset mode was the ghastly headset app (Q-tip with alcohol and compressed air stopped working).

P.S. All the graphite powder does is safely lube the inside of the headset jack. There is a bit inside that gets stuck, making the phone think there is a headset plugged in when there isn't. You can find graphite powder in the section of the store where they make keys, as it is commonly used to lube jammed locks.

Joe Barrow1

May 31, 2013
Visit site
To add for most phones this is a hardware issue. When using a headset one of the pins inside your phone is permanently stuck keeping your phone in 'headset mode'. I had this happened b4 and had to plug back in the headset and keep doing so till the pin unset. I stopped using the headset believing if I keep doing this my phone will eventually be permanently broke and irreparable. Still I just saw this fix on a forum and have yet to try it but will be doing so sometime today after I run to the store lol. Still it seems plausible and safe to do and once I try it I will post the results.

tli

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
... graphite powder permanently fixes the problem with getting stuck in headset mode.

This is such BS, it has to be a hoax... Do NOT ever blow graphite powder into your phone! Graphite is an electrical conductor, and the graphite powder will create short circuits inside your phone. One will have more seriously damaging problems than a stuck headphone mode if graphite is used as suggested! Also, graphite will corrode on-contact with any aluminum parts--if used within the phone. More info: Graphite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

su671

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Buy soundAbout app, it's ?2.99, and it works,, I dropped my phone into a bucket of water, so couldn't use my phone like a phone, the headphone icon was on all the time, this app somehow bypass the problem,, you can use it1st free, then buy it,, it sorted it out for me

NatCat5

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for this advice; seems obvious in retrospect, but I was going mad going thorugh various settings etc, and in the end a pipecleaner in the headphones portal did the job perfectly :) Much appreciated.

metal61265

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Try using some suction over the port hole. Worked like a champ for me once I got the idea there might be debris in the hole.
Thanks for fixing it, forum!

judy chan

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
i have that problem also. my galaxy s4 stayed on headphone mode and i cant hear anything without my earphones or put calls on loud speaker. any tips??? the paper clip didnt work... i restarted it several times and nothing! :'(

sison kk

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
dont worry, i too had the same problem in my nexus, i send it to service center. they have no idea. but i found a solution bellow,

shave a pencil lead and pour that into the headphone jack. after that plug in and plug out headphone 2-3 times slowly. phone will be get out from headphone mode after some time. may be it will take a day. try your luck,