Stupid question: Anyone NOT care too much about 4G?

L_Boogie820

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
So I work in the NYC metro area where there is 4G. Where I live, doesn't. I'm in Boston now for the weekend and 4G is here too obviously and I changed my settings back to LTE/CDMA. I put it back to 3G though. Why? My battery life is 10x better (and I'm rooted so my Rom and kernel actually sip the battery) and I have no problem connecting to data. 3G is still fast for most sites. Anyone agree?

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
No way. I tried 3G a couple of times but can't stand it anymore, too slow. I'm addicted to 4G speed. Love it. Bought 2 back-up batteries (1400 & 2750 mAh).

Last edited:

L_Boogie820

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
No way. I tried 3G a couple of times but can't stand it anymore, too slow. I'm addicted to 4G speed. Love it. 'bout 2 back-up batteries (1400 & 2750 mAh).

Don't get me wrong, 4G is fast and I don't dispute that but after using both, I feel like its not THAT big of a difference maker.

MBeattie

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
It's a huge difference, especially if you use a lot of data. Someone who might check in on a site once or twice probably wouldn't notice but for heavy users the difference is like night and day. For me its one of those things, once you have it, you can never go without it and don't know how you managed before having it.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I didnt think that i would really care that much about it, but having used it nearly exclusively the last 2 weeks, it's really awesome. Plus i took a trip to atlantic city last weekend where they only have 3g and it suuuuucked!!!

If you browse the internet, or want to stream videos, or radio whatever, it's like being on your computer with wifi, wherever you are.

droid747

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I am keeping mine on 4g. Webpages load way too slow for me in 3g. If I was going to keep my Thunderbolt in 3g, then i would not have bought it in the first place.

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
So I work in the NYC metro area where there is 4G. Where I live, doesn't. I'm in Boston now for the weekend and 4G is here too obviously and I changed my settings back to LTE/CDMA. I put it back to 3G though. Why? My battery life is 10x better (and I'm rooted so my Rom and kernel actually sip the battery) and I have no problem connecting to data. 3G is still fast for most sites. Anyone agree?

Its the sole reason I switched from Sprint to Verizon. Sprints 4G service was way to spotty in fact I couldn't get it in my house even though im in the 4G area on the Sprint map. Verizon is a wall to wall 4G signal and without the $10 fee I was paying Sprint no brainer for me.

Last edited:

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
It's all about what you feel your time is worth. Remember dial-up modems? You can still use one ya'know. But you aren't, right? Why? Need the speed? Same thing.

-Frank

Deinonychus

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Oh, man, the difference between 3G and 4G is night and day. Usually, when I'm on 3G, I'd get download speeds less than or a little more than 1 mbps. Upload speeds are just.... pathetic.

But, 4G? Wow. I usually would get download speeds from 10-25 mbps, and upload speeds of 3-7. Better than my home connection most of the time! Unfortunately, 4G coverage doesn't exactly reach where I live, so I have to drive a few miles west to experience it.

It's awesome.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Had 4G on, brightness on the lowest settings, auto rotate off, sync settings as low as I can make then and lost 10% in 28 minutes. :(

4g doesnt take that much battery (i'm on 4g all day every day in manhattan, brooklyn, and long island). my battery life is normal, i think its about the same as my droid incredible was: i get a day out of it and i charge over nite almost always. you must have something else running that you dont know about? or maybe a problem with the battery but u said you are rooted and when u run 3g the battery life is pretty good?

L_Boogie820

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
4g doesnt take that much battery (i'm on 4g all day every day in manhattan, brooklyn, and long island). my battery life is normal, i think its about the same as my droid incredible was: i get a day out of it and i charge over nite almost always. you must have something else running that you dont know about? or maybe a problem with the battery but u said you are rooted and when u run 3g the battery life is pretty good?

correct 3G = GOOD 4G = BAD

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buchenzo