Super disappointed in battery charging

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
The reason I returned my HTC one is the incredibly slow charge speed, so I know what your talking about. My battery was actually discharging while driving and plugged in.

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Just FYI, the battery with a lightning bolt isn't a symbol for charging; it's a symbol for a connection to an external power source. Most often devices are charging at the same time, but it isn't, per se, an incorrect symbol. My old laptop with the defunct battery shows the same symbol when the battery's been removed.

Posted via Android Central App

Gangrel

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure what rating my car charger is, but I recently made a 6 hour drive using the One and Google Nav and my battery stayed at the same level the whole trip. Granted I didn't have bluetooth on or any music apps playing, but if all you need is Nav, it's very doable......

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The thing is it is perfectly possible to design a power supply circuit that won't over charge the battery but WILL supply enough power to the phone itself. This must be the area where they decided to cut costs though.

The isn't enough room in the phone for all the circuitry using the standard 5V charger. You would need a higher voltage charger as well as separate charging circuitry for the battery and circuitry to power the phone separately.

Many tablets are actually designed this way. They use a 10V or 12V charger but still have 4.2V batteries like phones.

But obviously you have a lot more space to work with in a tablet case.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Please read the entire thread before commenting. I don't have to prove you wrong when it's been done... In this forum.

Also again as said in the thread... The Galaxy phones have quick charge enabled so of course your Note 1 and 2 charge fast with the default charger... If you are unsure what quick charge is just Google it real quick. No reason for you to sit here and act like we are lying.. It doesn't benefit me at all to lie to you on why this is happening... I'm simply just trying to tell you the answer to your question on why this issue is occurring.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

This was actually quite helpful to me because you proved me right. I googled it real quick using this new feature name I hadn't bothered to look up before and found this. Thanks.

HTC One doesn?t support Qualcomm Quick Charge - Android Community

All the different chargers in the world won't help a phone that doesn't support the feature.

This is very helpful because now I can look it up on phone prospects and weed out the ones that don't have it. I'll have to be careful of manufactures that rename it or don't list it, but such is life.

I am not sure what rating my car charger is, but I recently made a 6 hour drive using the One and Google Nav and my battery stayed at the same level the whole trip. Granted I didn't have bluetooth on or any music apps playing, but if all you need is Nav, it's very doable......

Broke even at something like 70% or stayed at 100%? I'm sure you are right though, if I ask less of the phone that is.

The isn't enough room in the phone for all the circuitry using the standard 5V charger. You would need a higher voltage charger as well as separate charging circuitry for the battery and circuitry to power the phone separately.

Many tablets are actually designed this way. They use a 10V or 12V charger but still have 4.2V batteries like phones.

But obviously you have a lot more space to work with in a tablet case.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

My weak understanding so far is that this is a feature of the SOC and doesn't take any extra room. Least that's what Qualcomm is implying. Anyway those huge iPhones have it.

Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 to offer 75 percent faster charging in Snapdragon 800 devices | The Verge

Chis Jewell

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
" HTC One doesn?t support Qualcomm Quick Charge - Android Community

All the different chargers in the world won't help a phone that doesn't support the feature. "

NOT CORRECT, if your current charger is 1 or 1.5 amp and you upgrade to 2 amp your phone will charge MUCH faster ! I know because I had the same issue and solved it for $8.99 with free shipping :)

Increase input amperage by 50%-100% and I assure you the issue is solved.

AdamsHouseCat

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
" HTC One doesn?t support Qualcomm Quick Charge - Android Community

All the different chargers in the world won't help a phone that doesn't support the feature. "

NOT CORRECT, if your current charger is 1 or 1.5 amp and you upgrade to 2 amp your phone will charge MUCH faster ! I know because I had the same issue and solved it for $8.99 with free shipping :)

Increase input amperage by 50%-100% and I assure you the issue is solved.

This took care of the "net discharge" issue for me as well.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
This issue appeared when Android tablets first came out. They would consume more power than the charger could output, resulting in a net loss.

The best thing you can do is have a very high AMP charger, this will ensure the phone is getting as much juice as it's capable of taking.

That said...

It is a known fact that the HTC One charges much slower than many other phones (Which is interesting, as this used to be a Samsung problem):
battery.png

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
It's funny, I use Waze or Google nav and stream music via Play music through bluetooth all the time and my battery is always higher than before I got in the car. On long trips the light stays green so I'm pretty sure running those apps plus more doesn't draw more power than the charging circuit provides.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This took care of the "net discharge" issue for me as well.

Yeah I told the OP (Max) this and he didn't believe me so he swapped completely instead of just trying a $10 fix to see if it worked lol.

Oh well his loss :D. I got a new 2 amp charger from amazon and it is great.

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
This is due to quick charge being disabled. The galaxy phones have it on so it allows for a way faster charge... The HTC One sadly has it disabled so if you are using heavy apps it can sometimes outweigh the charge it's getting.

I have heard of some people getting stronger chargers and it seemed to help.

Can you enable it somehow?

Posted via Android Central App

Groovysunflowers

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
1. The term charging implies that a battery will end up with more power in it. This isn't what the phone is doing so it needs to display not charging or some other term that isn't misleading. This is going to lead to unexpected behavior.

2. My main argument / gripe here is that situations like this shouldn't even exist unless the power source is inadequate and outside of the phones control. IMO this is a defective design to even allow this to happen. I might be persuaded to let the situation slide if I was doing something really processor intensive but really it is just ticking along.

I wonder if you have a bad unit...last night I left my friend's house at 14% and plugged it into my car and started up Pandora radio and navigation like I always do. It's about a 22 minute drive from point A to point B and when I got home my battery was at 23%. I know it's not much, but given the same circumstances I wasn't losing battery life like you were. I also think I have a bad unit but the phone is only 4 days old so I'm holding off for now. If it helps, I use a Santech USB lighter charger and a knock off micro usb cord (that came with my Tmvel charging dock) and I also noticed with my iPhone that car charging was faster than home charging.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using AC Forums mobile app

brycenull

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend buying a higher amperage charger because that will degrade the battery faster. There is a reason to why HTC set it up like this. It is because it is an embedded battery and HTC was thinking about the long run and decided to go with this so your phone will last longer. If you do this it will most likely void your warranty. So now when you need a replacement because you fried your battery they will charge you for the phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend buying a higher amperage charger because that will degrade the battery faster. There is a reason to why HTC set it up like this. It is because it is an embedded battery and HTC was thinking about the long run and decided to go with this so your phone will last longer. If you do this it will most likely void your warranty. So now when you need a replacement because you fried your battery they will charge you for the phone.

I think people would rather be able to navigate and multitask with their phone then try and preserve the battery and not use the phone..

Just my opinion on it. I bought a 2 amp car charger off of Amazon and am enjoying it so far.

brycenull

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Okay you do that. Once something happens to your phone and the first question they ask you is "did you use an oem charger or a third party charger?" Don't cry on here on how HTC, insurance, best buy or etc. didn't replace your phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Okay you do that. Once something happens to your phone and the first question they ask you is "did you use an oem charger or a third party charger?" Don't cry on here on how HTC, insurance, best buy or etc. didn't replace your phone.

Why would I? My phone will be fine just like my older phones. I upgrade yearly anyway.. Nice try at being rude though! :D.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh FYI.. You can say no to the question lol :p. Some people..