Swapping my Epic, what to delete?

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm swapping my Epic for a new one (just not happy with the slider mechanism, among some other things) within my 30 days, and so I'm wonder: what can/should I delete from the SD Card? Pretty much everything? I'll be doing a full reset, which I think deletes all of my personal info...

Any advice would be much appreciated...

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm swapping my Epic for a new one (just not happy with the slider mechanism, among some other things) within my 30 days, and so I'm wonder: what can/should I delete from the SD Card? Pretty much everything? I'll be doing a full reset, which I think deletes all of my personal info...

Any advice would be much appreciated...
That pretty much should wipe it clean... (complete full erased)

Better luck with your new phone.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Go to Settings>SD card and phone storage>Unmount SD card>Format SD card

That will wipe it clean. And if you want to be extra careful and make it harder for someone to recover data from the SD card (which most people don't know how to do), you can format it a few times.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Go to Settings>SD card and phone storage>Unmount SD card>Format SD card

That will wipe it clean. And if you want to be extra careful and make it harder for someone to recover data from the SD card, you can format it a few times.

Why not just swap the SD card

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all of the advice and instructions! About swapping the SD card: will that cause any issues with a new device, i.e., when I reinstall the same apps?

Seems like it might be better to go the full reset and format SD card route... Thanks again!

Kikoshi

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Swapping the sd card wouldn't be an issue with a new device, you could always format if you run into issues.

Yeah swapping it wont do anything, is teh same thing just with teh data untouched, now im also getting mine exchanged, because the slidder mechanism is way to jiggly(lose) the phone around teh keyboard has a gap and whenever i hold it against my ear, it makes the click sound"similar to how the maracas are slightly opened int eh middle? same goes for the phone"

I enjoy and adora this phone, hopefully my replacement will be in a better condition thant the one i got, and darn Sprint/Sammy release froyo already.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
infact couldnt you do a nandroid backup on this device, keep it on the SD card and root the next phone and just flash it ,,,,then you'll have the same exact phone?

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks again for all the input. I suppose swapping the SD card is probably the way to go.

I've not rooted this thing, and probably won't. So, the backup thing isn't really an option. But, thanks for the idea, anyways.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks again for all the input. I suppose swapping the SD card is probably the way to go.

I've not rooted this thing, and probably won't. So, the backup thing isn't really an option. But, thanks for the idea, anyways.

you will still want to do a factory restore besides swapping the card

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You may be out of luck there. Programs like Titanium Backup and MyBackup require root access to backup and restore app data.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
You can just copy all the contents of the sd card to your laptop as a backup. I just bought a 32gb micro sd card. All I did was copy everything from the sd card into a new folder on my computer. Then put the new 32gb card into my computer memory card slot and copied all the files from the new folder I had made onto the 32gb card. Put it in my phone and everything works just like it did (except with 16 more gb's). I could have done the same thing using the USB cord.

The point is, everything on my phone works just like nothing was done.

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I would use a program like My back up pro do a back up and then hard reset the phone then just restore your back up to the new epic its what i did and worked great...

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
OK. I have a question if this hasn't already been asked/answered - aren't all of your personal things on the SD card - music, photos, phonebook, etc.? If so, why would you want to wipe your SD card? I know that a lot of the App stuff is on the SD card, but to format the card assuming you have personal stuff on it may not be the best idea. (jmo)

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
If you really want to format the card just copy the contents to your computer first.

BTW... My sprint rep said that they will let you keep your phone (if it is still usable) until the replacement arrives and recommends that you swap the sd cards from your old phone to the new before returning the old phone. He said they do it automatically if the phone is swapped out at the store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katiebaby3110