System update = factory reset

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this is indicative of things to come for others, but a heads up to make sure your data is backed up just in case.

Yesterday a system update notice appeared on our Verizon version A50. My wife accepted it and started downloading it, then came back later to find that the phone had done a full factory reset. I'm not sure at what point the reset happened, but I set it all back up today and noticed a system update was available again. It sounds like the update never fully processed, and had to download it again. The update checker showed it was a security update, but I downloaded and ran it again with no issues.

This is the second time we've experienced this, but the last one was on my wife's Note 3, years ago. At least it's not a common problem, but thankfully this time the A50 was only our backup phone. The last time, it was my wife's main phone, and also re-formatted the SD card in the process (we didn't have one installed in the A50).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That's why, until this month, I always did a TWRP backup before updating. (TWRP no longer works on the Pixel 2, so I'm using Titanium, which is a pain, but it's better than losing everything.)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Not sure if this is indicative of things to come for others, but a heads up to make sure your data is backed up just in case.

Yesterday a system update notice appeared on our Verizon version A50. My wife accepted it and started downloading it, then came back later to find that the phone had done a full factory reset. I'm not sure at what point the reset happened, but I set it all back up today and noticed a system update was available again. It sounds like the update never fully processed, and had to download it again. The update checker showed it was a security update, but I downloaded and ran it again with no issues.

This is the second time we've experienced this, but the last one was on my wife's Note 3, years ago. At least it's not a common problem, but thankfully this time the A50 was only our backup phone. The last time, it was my wife's main phone, and also re-formatted the SD card in the process (we didn't have one installed in the A50).
Was that andriod 10 ? I heard supposed to get it.
As long as I've owned Samsung phones I never ,I mean never experience a factory reset after software update after a OTA ..that's being said there's always a possibility something can go wrong and should have the phone back up regardless a update or not .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wadeharper