T mobile 4g $30 plan > Sprint unlimited plans??

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I checked on youtube and surprisingly tmobile was getting exactly what I get on verizon. Thats about 10 down in NYC. I was shocked as I always was under the impression that tmobile sucked.

T-Mobile, where they have network coverage, is absolutely blistering fast. They destroy HSPA+ speeds on AT&T, and even beat LTE speeds on Verizon regularly with a 42mbps HSPA+ device. I regularly see speedtests on T-Mobile branded devices that are in the 15-20mbps range.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the other side of the country in the SF Bay Area and before I switched to Tmobile I had the same bad impression of their coverage and speeds. But I get coverage everywhere I've been since I switched 2 months ago and get between 7-10 Mbps down on TMO. On Verizon I got 300-400 Kb on a good day, on ATT didn't get working coverage at all in most of the city and then about 250Kb when there was coverage (and usually could not get voice coverage at all) and my friend with Sprint gets about 100Kbps download speeds.

I wish I would have switched a long time ago. They need to up their marketing since so many people have misinformation about coverage and speeds on TMO. But of course, there are places that have no or low coverage and the other carriers' low speed coverage would be better than nothing. That apparently has given TMO a bad rap everywhere even where it has great coverage and speeds.

jiwon0522

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
tmobile/$30 plan user here
1.i gave my friends my google voice/grooveIP as home phone number, so i save minutes by using it at home as often as possible.
2.i use over 100 mins here and there, but then i consider it as $30 for 100 mins, $40 for 200 mins, $50 for 300 mins plan. for someone who barely uses 300 mins, $50 for 300 mins/unlimited text/5GB is still a good deal for me. $.10 per minute may seem a lot but not a big deal for me. i just have to be careful and have some credit in my account though.
3.i doubt i'll ever go with LTE until its battery-eating problem goes away. i would hate the idea of turning 4g/LTE on and off again to save battery life.
4.sprint 3g is close to 2g where i live. sprint's prepaid divisions are hogging datas everywhere, slowing down everyone's speed.
5.haven't used more than 3gb of data a month, with lots of wifi-usage at home. still 5gb is a lot for $30 and i'm not sure if i'll ever take advantage of unlimited data plan. this is just me though.

anyway i'm very happy with tmobile's $30 a month plan and i hope it never goes away.

i do get slow data speed from time to time though, especially in university campus. i can live with it.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
If I didn't actually talk that much on the phone then the $30 plan be be just fine for me. I do need the $60 plan as I NEVER use 2GB of data at all.

I am looking for the downside to switching and I just dont see it. Even if I break my contract with Verizon between the $40 a month I save and whatever I get on eBay when I sell my Verizon phone I either break even on get ahead in by the time my contract would be up at verizon. Then I get all the updates quickly and I can switch phones whenever I feel like it.

I don't know why I am hesitating on this. I feel like there is something that I am missing.

Ohh yeah when I go snowboarding in the mountains my service with Tmobile would be almost non existent and they don't roam. Im guessing I get get a prepaid card from AT&T just for those occasions. It was shocking but Verizon actually has 4G in Vermont.

If I can get 15mb down on Tmobile in NYC that is like 1.5 times faster than Verizon. And to be be perfectly honest with myself anything above 5MB is just fine, I don't watch videos on my phone. Its an ego thing.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
If I can get 15mb down on Tmobile in NYC that is like 1.5 times faster than Verizon. And to be be perfectly honest with myself anything above 5MB is just fine, I don't watch videos on my phone. Its an ego thing.

You won't be getting 15mbps down on T-Mobile with the Galaxy Nexus. It's a 21mbps HSPA+ device, so expect about 9-10mbps maximum.

Those higher speeds you see are on branded T-Mobile devices that have a 42mbps HSPA+ radio.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Really?

I could have sworn Ive gotten higher than 10 on verizon. In any event I am MORE than fine with 10 down

You won't be getting 15mbps down on T-Mobile with the Galaxy Nexus. It's a 21mbps HSPA+ device, so expect about 9-10mbps maximum.

Those higher speeds you see are on branded T-Mobile devices that have a 42mbps HSPA+ radio.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Really?

I could have sworn Ive gotten higher than 10 on verizon. In any event I am MORE than fine with 10 down

Huh? You're confused I think. The Verizon Galaxy Nexus is an LTE device... the GSM Galaxy Nexus is an HSPA+ device. Different network technologies...

But like I said, that'll probably be about 10mbps max. I always got a consistent 5-6mbps, peak around 8-9mbps when I was on T-Mobile.

ngb802

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Verizon nuff said :)
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1347340567607.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347340567607.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 48