T-Mobile update contains malware!!!

UniQue WerkX

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
There's some other apps I'm trying to find out about on this T-Mobile Note 4... IMSLogger+
I can't disable it and look at all the permissions it has

Posted via Note4 & Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-02-13-22-50.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-02-13-22-50.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 221

UniQue WerkX

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
There's some other apps I'm trying to find out about on this T-Mobile Note 4... IMSLogger+
I can't disable it and look at all the permissions it has

Posted via Note4 & Android Central App
812f0f07dde6b5376e783e549f9adcdf.jpg

5173001a6be19e7ae87a5d3273162503.jpg

f8c9f47a3c9e7ee453de004e7842926c.jpg

481485481910b6428033cb9d2cc20218.jpg

524d002e793106f2d682ecea0bf7d80e.jpg

0019bc689bdc3705b8cdf40c99bf1370.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

UniQue WerkX

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Just stop DT Ignite uninstall the three apps, then delete the DT Ignite folder. Problem solved.

Where did you find the DT Ignite folder?

I'm wondering if the default setting in Security>Unknown sources is checked? I unchecked mine when I got the Note 4, exploring all the settings.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I uninstalled cookie jam a while back. It never reinstalled, even though I have dtignite installed on my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I uninstalled cookie jam a while back. It never reinstalled, even though I have dtignite installed on my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

I had that app as well and I wasn't sure how it got on there and never reinstalled on my phone which is the Verizon note 4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
This is just another tool for the Carriers to generate revenue. If it is a real annoyance then the solution is real simple; Do not buy carrier subsidized phones, instead opt for the Nexus Line. If you opt for the "carrier subsidizes phones" then you are at the mercy of their revenue generating "bloatware".
***Carriers gotta eat too ya know :p

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Throwing the baby out with the bath water so to speak. Not a solution for many, myself included. Not a fan of Nexus devices! Simple solution here is to just turn off (disable) the DT Ignite app (and uninstall the aforementioned bloatware apps it may have installed). Done! :)

Agreed, I am not a fan of Nexus phones either. I will say in years past I would be up in arms over something like this, now I just go with the flow. I did just check to see if I had "DTignite" on my LG3, and sure enough it is installed; All I did was "disable". Again though, you will have to "play the game" if you want carrier subsidized phones. You can't have one without the other. :-\

**As a side note, if you take an update or factory reset, you will again have to disable "DTignite".

UniQue WerkX

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
This is just another tool for the Carriers to generate revenue. If it is a real annoyance then the solution is real simple; Do not buy carrier subsidized phones, instead opt for the Nexus Line. If you opt for the "carrier subsidizes phones" then you are at the mercy of their revenue generating "bloatware".
***Carriers gotta eat too ya know
Installing software without the phone owners consent is BS! Carriers are ripping people off with BS illegal charges! And they got sued for that crap. Carriers gotta eat is BS too! If you aren't making money LEGALLY then do something else, go into another business! There's no excuse for installing software behind people's backs. .... could go on but my heads about to explode!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
***Carriers gotta eat too ya know :p
This isn't a solution for me as Verizon's service blows the competition away at my work. Granted I could go with other carriers and get no service or have to hold my phone at certain spots /angles to get service but for me, service is more important than minor bloat ware, to me anyway.

Plus for my uses Verizon is by far the cheapest. Granted my uses are atypical.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Installing software without the phone owners consent is BS! Carriers are ripping people off with BS illegal charges! And they got sued for that crap. Carriers gotta eat is BS too! If you aren't making money LEGALLY then do something else, go into another business! There's no excuse for installing software behind people's backs. .... could go on but my heads about to explode!

Maybe a stiff drink is in order. My point was, personally I have stopped having "heart attacks" over issues like this one, others will choose to take it to the Supreme Court which of course is their prerogative.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
This isn't a solution for me as Verizon's service blows the competition away at my work. Granted I could go with other carriers and get no service or have to hold my phone at certain spots /angles to get service but for me, service is more important than minor bloat ware, to me anyway.

Plus for my uses Verizon is by far the cheapest. Granted my uses are atypical.

My sentiments exactly ;)

Tate Smith

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Well I really don't know what it is but my phones been doing bad thing for a while just found dt ignite few days ago on my phone finally today I called because I was really thinking about rooting my phone to try and gain some control I have note 4 told them about that this is where things get weird I'm pretty good with customer service but not this good with no explanation of what's going on they say there gonna send me a new phone with a 5 dollar possessing fee but I have to send mine back or they will charge me 400 I'm thinking I don't send it bring it to court and see they have to say isn't it my right to know what's going on my mom has note to and has the same abb but with a tmobile icon I told them that too he just ignored about my mom but sending me a new phone calling it an insurance claim but no deductible

Last edited:

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
i have the newest update from tmobile on my Note 4.. i do have DT ignite, which i just turned off after reading this thread, but after that i went to look for the other 3 apps to delete but cant find any of them. iv checked under settings>application manager>all. do tmobile customers not have to worry about these apps (Cookie Jam, Drippler, and RetailMeNot) ?

Same here.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
As long as it doesn't burn up the battery nor give my phone number to telemarketers why would I care?
Why care? This app lets Verizon auto install apps on your phone and grants these apps permissions without your appoval. I am on Verizon and I started getting apps installed that were bugging me with notifications. This malware that Verizon and T-Mobile load on the Note 4 allows them to install anything on your phone at anytime and grant apps any permissions they want to set. These apps are installed anytime they want, not during a system upgrade.

When I first read about this app I figured Verizon would only use it to install a vital app. Then I started noticing games and a remote app appear on my phone. I now have the app disabled and use an app that checks to make sure it stays disabled. I never cared about rooting a phone until now.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Excerpt from the reddit link:

"app is called DT_Ignite and it cannot be uninstalled. You can disable it and need to because if you don't the three apps you delete that it installed will keep coming back. The three apps are Cookie Jam, Drippler, and RetailMeNot. When you delete these apps they are gone until you restart your device. Then the Malware app DT Ignite will reinstalled those app via data or wifi. This app has total and full permission for everything on your phone."

DT Ignite is on my Verizon Note 4 (probably on all versions). Appears it's on various other smartphones as well (ex. LG G3 as indicated via Google searches). Myself, it's one of many apps I promptly turned off (disabled) upon setting up the phone, as well as uninstalled those aforementioned bloatware apps above.

According to their website (http://www.digitalturbine.com/product/ignite): "Digital Turbine Ignite lets mobile operators regain a competitive edge, maximizing the efficiency of pre and post loading applications on smartphones for more advertising revenue."

So, I wouldn't call it malware. But it's definitely bloatware!

Drippler isn't malware

Posted via the Android Central App

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Excerpt from the reddit link:

"app is called DT_Ignite and it cannot be uninstalled. You can disable it and need to because if you don't the three apps you delete that it installed will keep coming back. The three apps are Cookie Jam, Drippler, and RetailMeNot. When you delete these apps they are gone until you restart your device. Then the Malware app DT Ignite will reinstalled those app via data or wifi. This app has total and full permission for everything on your phone."

DT Ignite is on my Verizon Note 4 (probably on all versions). Appears it's on various other smartphones as well (ex. LG G3 as indicated via Google searches). Myself, it's one of many apps I promptly turned off (disabled) upon setting up the phone, as well as uninstalled those aforementioned bloatware apps above.

According to their website (Better Preloads for Carriers and Consumers | Digital Turbine): "Digital Turbine Ignite lets mobile operators regain a competitive edge, maximizing the efficiency of pre and post loading applications on smartphones for more advertising revenue."

So, I wouldn't call it malware. But it's definitely bloatware!

The three games that auto download were a "gift" from Samsung which they didn't think to ask if you wanted them before they were installed. It was a oversight on Samsung's part. As for DT Ignite it is a program that allows carriers and Samsung to install minor updates to their phones, such as a battery use improvement or a camera software fix. As far as using apps for a competitive advantage there is no need as at least some carriers install a unique code identifier to every phone on their system and sell it to marketing tracking 3rd parties.
On my Note 4 I simply uninstalled the 3 games, cleared the phone cache and have been good to go since.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos