Tab 2 turns itself back on.

chacal7

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I called Samsung and at least they told me that they are aware of the problem and working on a patch fix. There should be a downloadable patch soon.

diverdown4977

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Tab 2 turns itself back on. One fix that worked

My Samsung Tab 2 10.1 rebooted automatically (continuously) after the Jellybean update. I fixed it by going into All APPS and selecting the Samsung Push Services. I uninstalled the update for this and also cleared the cache. I rebooted the device and then it reinstalled the update for Push Services. No more rebooting. The device now shuts down normally.

Hope it helps you.

whturner

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Mine appears to do the same - both on AC and standalone
The 4.2.2 update was installed a week or so ago. And now another update is available and will download but not install.
As far as shutting down .......
Mine goes through a off-on-off sequence - if I wait it seems to really turn off. Like leaving my in-laws house. Everyone has one more thing to do or say!
First, it shuts down, but not off: a dim backlight is still present.
Finally it goes black.
Next the "Samsung 2 etc logo appears for a bit..
Then it reboots with the sound effects and all into the logon screen.
If I ignore it after a few seconds it goes black ( no backlight like the initial shutdown)
I guess it has really shutdown this time. Or is it in a standby mode?

Camilo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

My Samsung Tab 2 10.1 rebooted automatically (continuously) after the Jellybean update. I fixed it by going into All APPS and selecting the Samsung Push Services. I uninstalled the update for this and also cleared the cache. I rebooted the device and then it reinstalled the update for Push Services. No more rebooting. The device now shuts down normally.

Hope it helps you.

Thanks for the pointer. I'm always willing to try something - but unfortunately, it didn't work either (twice... followed above sequence). Still on my quest to find a simple solution to this very stupid Samsung software problem.

Camilo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

I've posted this in a couple other threads, but thought it might catch someone's eye here.

The latest firmware update seems to solve the problem. The trick is to get the firmware to install because that requires the tablet to shut down during the process.

I finally got the firmware to update .... by using the "won't shut down" workaround mentioned in various threads:

• unmount and physically remove SD card
  • keep tablet plugged in to AC power
  • cycle on and off (OFF, not restart) several times (may require doing it from the lock screen)
  • replace SD card
  • keep plugged into AC power when firmware update begins

The first couple of times I tried the above, it didn't fix the "won't shut down" problem. I don't know what I did differently when it finally was able to update the firmware. Maybe I did or didn't physically remove the SD card after unmounting it during the on/off cycle steps? Maybe I did or didn't put the SD card back in after the on/off cycling? Maybe it was just happenstance where the firmware update happened when the tablet decided to shutdown that particular time. I believe the above steps are what I actually did when it worked, but if it doesn't work for you, try try again and maybe alter the steps a little.

All I know is now the tablet has no problem with shut down whether the SD card is in or not, whether or not the power's plugged in, and doesn't require it to be working off a lock screen (all of those factors seemed to sporadically affect the shutdown before, none consistently, but seemed to be involved from time to time somehow).

So my recommendation is to at least give this workaround a few tries and if you're lucky eventually the firmware update will work, and when it does, at least for me, it seems to have totally solved the "won't shut down" problem.