Tablet Suddenly Powers Down

crazigee

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday while on a flight my tablet suddenly powered down. It just completely died as if the battery was completely dead, and wouldn't turn back on. The power button was completely unresponsive. I thought this was a little odd since the battery was fully charged before I got on the plane and I had only been using it for two hours or so. I had the Asus dock, attached which has another batter so I should have been able to get at least 6-8 hours of battery life.

Fortunately, there were power outlets at the seats so I plugged in the tablet. Once it had powered up I discovered that there was still 91% on the dock battery and 95% on the tablet battery. I thought this was odd but didn't think much more about it.

It then happened two more times.

The last time was on a connecting flight that didn't have power outlets. The tablet wouldn't turn on at all. Again it was as if the batteries were completely dead. Nothing would happen when I pressed the power button.

When I got home I was tired and forgot to plug in the tablet. This morning when I plugged the tablet I was able to turn it on right away. The dock battery is showing 29% and the tablet battery 87%. It has been more than 18 hours since the tablet suddenly turned off.

The tablet is acting as if the battery is dead, when in fact it isn't. It suddenly powers down and won't turn back on until you plug it in. As soon as it is plugged in, I can turn it back on, and can be immediately unplugged and used for several hours so clearly it isn't a battery problem.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks,
CG

Posted using my Asus TF700T tablet via Android Central App

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How old is the device? The behavior sounds like a defective battery. One our other Ambassadors, Rukbat, had explained in another thread about certain defects that can occur in a battery. Let me ask him to see if he can shed some light on this.

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Think about what you recently installed: Any task killers?
If you are rooted: Did you remove or freeze any system apps?

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

crazigee

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
How old is the device? The behavior sounds like a defective battery. One our other Ambassadors, Rukbat, had explained in another thread about certain defects that can occur in a battery. Let me ask him to see if he can shed some light on this.

I got the tablet last March. So just a bit older than a one year.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Mobile Nations mobile app

crazigee

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Think about what you recently installed: Any task killers?
If you are rooted: Did you remove or freeze any system apps?

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

I haven't installed anything in quite a while.

I'm not really sure what freezing a system app means, but i haven't made any changes in some time. I don't mess around with the system settings at all. I'm a novice on Android.

What does rooted mean?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Rooting is the process of getting superuser status on your phone, giving you more control over many aspects of its operation. It allows you to freeze (i.e., disable) or completely uninstall system apps or preinstalled bloatware, along with installing custom ROMs (essentially customized versions of Android with often drastically different appearances). It's not recommended for novices, because if you do something wrong, you could irreversibly brick your phone.

You can disable many system apps and bloatware if you're unrooted anyway, by going to Settings>Apps>All​, selecting the app, and tapping Disable.

crazigee

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Rooting is the process of getting superuser status on your phone, giving you more control over many aspects of its operation. It allows you to freeze (i.e., disable) or completely uninstall system apps or preinstalled bloatware, along with installing custom ROMs (essentially customized versions of Android with often drastically different appearances). It's not recommended for novices, because if you do something wrong, you could irreversibly brick your phone.

You can disable many system apps and bloatware if you're unrooted anyway, by going to Settings>Apps>All​, selecting the app, and tapping Disable.

Definitely haven't done that. Wouldn't even know how.

crazigee

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Anyone have any ideas. The tablet is barely usable if it isn't connected to a power source.

I'm thinking hardware problem but not sure.

Posted using my BlackBerry Z10 via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's almost certainly a hardware problem. I'd suggest removing the back and checking all of the connections, but I can't find a video on the web specific for the TF700. You could try one of the videos that shows one of the other Transformers.

crazigee

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
It's almost certainly a hardware problem. I'd suggest removing the back and checking all of the connections, but I can't find a video on the web specific for the TF700. You could try one of the videos that shows one of the other Transformers.

I'm going to try a factory reset first. If they doesn't work them I think opening it up will be the next step.

Posted using my BlackBerry Z10 via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shadowbear