Testing the Overclock/Undervolt...

Final13

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Curious to know what you guys are using to test your setups? (asside from the obvious run it till it breaks)
I have searched around and seem to only find things surrounding "setCPU". I am looking to dive in and really try and find the sweet spot. I have certainly found somethings that dont seem to work to well. everytime I undervolt -100 it seems to hiccup.

I have messed around with apps like tegrak, Neocore, Linpak, Quadrant Standard, ect.

My device seems to "top out" at 1400mhz/1375mv...(according to voltage control)
I know QS scores dont tell the truth but that has benched as high as 1950...

just looking to see what others are doing :)

Thanks in advance...

Final13

May 28, 2011
Visit site
ur good to go pal

is that to say there is nothing specific to do, or am i already doing it?

also, now that i am thinking about it...is there a voltage control scheduler resource out there?

linpak and QS scores get old and dont give real world info as far as I can tell.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
is that to say there is nothing specific to do, or am i already doing it?

also, now that i am thinking about it...is there a voltage control scheduler resource out there?

linpak and QS scores get old and dont give real world info as far as I can tell.

CPU Spy will tell you how much time you are spending at the different steps. That way you can target those steps with undervolting. Also straight from the kernel creator's mouth, the 600 mhz step apparently does not handle more than -50 of undervolting very well.

Final13

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Landshark...are there any other "straight from the kernel creator's mouth" information I should know about?

bigjobber69

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
1300- -50
1000 - -50
800 - -75
600- -75
400- -75
200- -100
100- -100
I have the New Voltage control from the market. running OTB 1.6 this is my setup.

Reactions: Final13

Final13

May 28, 2011
Visit site
For anyone else who may be new to the thread is curious, I found some answers to my own questions over at XDA. (Finally just made an account) Not sure what the rule is about linking from there since I have seen some folks post after getting permission...

the link to the OTB reloaded kernel has some good Q&A and also answers some of my own questions about the scheduler options.

(I might be the only one who hasn't seen that yet but I thought I would share just in case.)

So far my recurring issues have been with Pandora, and with lots of notifications at the same time (ie: gmail, facebook and txt)...both of those were using Mobile Data and not wifi. Pandora will lock the phone up by it self sometimes, and then the combination of the three above have done it twice.

Everytime seems like the 1400mhz step was checked at various UV settings from 0 to -50...

Final13

May 28, 2011
Visit site
quoted from App : IO Scheduler *advanced*

Hey guys, here is a simple MGX to change E8 kernel's IO scheduler (AKA request elevator). This is only intended for advanced users. Dont worry, this app is not dangerous at all, its just that casual users will never need to change their schedulers, but pros will

WHAT IS AN IO SCHEDULER

IO scheduler is a daemon thread deep down in Linux Kernel which always runs in background, reads files from disk and hands them over to various programs. Whenever ANY program reads file from disk, that request is processed by IO scheduler.

Normally a IO scheduler tries to balance between these goals:
- fairness (let every process have its share of the access to disk, but decides which ones need data on priority)
- performance (try to serve requests fastest)

There are various IO scheduler available in Linux Kernel which perform different.

WHAT SCHEDULERS ARE AVAILABLE?

* noop = It holds all the requests in a queue does and not perform any scheduling on them. Should be the fastest for low IO systems
* anticipatory (default) = It 'guesses' for the data that user might ask for in future and loads it in advance. This is the default scheduler on E8. IMHO, while anticipatory can be very good for desktop systems and moving head disks, it might slow things on SSD based systems with low RAM, like E8. Hence i felt a need for an app to change it.
* deadline = sets an internal deadline (priorities) for every request. Read request have smaller deadline (hence higher priority) than write requests. Should perform best on medium IO systems.
* cfq = Completely Fair Queuing, best suited for multiuser systems.

Since I cant ask in XDA...someone mentioned NOOP being "snapier", I havent tried NOOP, but in SIO I seem to get freezes.

(I realize this could be the settings but I think the scheduler is easier to rule out perhaps since I can apply the same settings and compare)

Im curious to know if anyone has anything to say about CFQ of BFQ?

vi3tboiii54

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Since I cant ask in XDA...someone mentioned NOOP being "snapier", I havent tried NOOP, but in SIO I seem to get freezes.

(I realize this could be the settings but I think the scheduler is easier to rule out perhaps since I can apply the same settings and compare)

Im curious to know if anyone has anything to say about CFQ of BFQ?

CFQ and BFQ are more suitable for real-time multi-purpose complex android devices and i havent had any issues with either.

Mellen_hed

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm now running OTB 1.6

BFQ Scheduler
1000 @ 1275 - 75
800 @ 1200 - 75
400 @ 1050 - 100
200 @ 950-100

I have found that this simple setup is stable and super battery saving. Last week I unplugged around 5 am and came home at 5 pm at 70% battery with fairly frequent light use (xda, sms, etc). Used to think I had a bum battery until i gave a rom/kernel combo sufficient time to impress me... :p

xpur3vilx

May 20, 2011
exiledsoldiers.org
I have found with my overclocking fun, try to record a video... It's the fastest way I've found that my overclock has been unstable. 1.4 the video didn't record fc, phone crashed, two finger salute.

my current
100-75
200-75
400-50
600-50
800-50
1000-50
1200-50

Final13

May 28, 2011
Visit site
my phone likes to just freeze...stop responding all together and to only be fixed by a battery pull. i have copied some of the set ups here and i keep getting the same eventually. but thanks for the video suggestion, I hadnt thought of that

fstbusa

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
my phone likes to just freeze...stop responding all together and to only be fixed by a battery pull. i have copied some of the set ups here and i keep getting the same eventually. but thanks for the video suggestion, I hadnt thought of that

when it freezes, just hold the volume up and the power button. After about 5 seconds your phone should reboot.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
with 1.6 my phone likes to freeze as well. Which is weird cause same setting as 1.5....

I was having the same problems with the phone freezing or SOD on previous OTB kernels. I thought it was either the beautiful widgets smaller home weather/clock widget or Launcher Pro causing it because I got no SOD after I was not using either. I heard from nemesis2all most phones cannot handle more than -50mv of UV at the 600Mhz step. Then I started reading more of the available info on the schedulers, and one thing jumped out at me - someone wrote in plain layman's terms we could all understand that bfq and cfq schedulers are best for multifunction devices like our phones. Switched to bfq scheduler and 1) no more SOD 2) able to UV more than -50mv on several steps, and 3) now able to OC to 1200Mhz.

I'm going to keep pushing my settings to see how far I can go. I will be reporting my results in this already existing thread dealing with OC/UV settings:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...oms-hacks/79749-voltage-control-settings.html

and I would encourage everyone else to do the same so it is all in one place. Also when you post in there, please include which version of OTB you are using and which scheduler you are using in addition to your UV/OC settings.

Reactions: bigjobber69

Final13

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I was having the same problems with the phone freezing or SOD on previous OTB kernels. I thought it was either the beautiful widgets smaller home weather/clock widget or Launcher Pro causing it because I got no SOD after I was not using either. I heard from nemesis2all most phones cannot handle more than -50mv of UV at the 600Mhz step. Then I started reading more of the available info on the schedulers, and one thing jumped out at me - someone wrote in plain layman's terms we could all understand that bfq and cfq schedulers are best for multifunction devices like our phones. Switched to bfq scheduler and 1) no more SOD 2) able to UV more than -50mv on several steps, and 3) now able to OC to 1200Mhz.

I'm going to keep pushing my settings to see how far I can go. I will be reporting my results in this already existing thread dealing with OC/UV settings:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...oms-hacks/79749-voltage-control-settings.html

and I would encourage everyone else to do the same so it is all in one place. Also when you post in there, please include which version of OTB you are using and which scheduler you are using in addition to your UV/OC settings.

I too red the same thing and have since been playing with bfq and cfq...I have had considerable improvements. I also read the 600 step issues and just took that frequency out completely. Yesterday i went off charge at 6 and had 20 percent battery at about midnight. I would say fairly moderate use and able to get use of the 1200 as well.

bigjobber69

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Well I think I realized where my freezes were coming from. In the new voltage control app from the market it is automatically set to "deadline " in i/o scheduler. So I have not set it to bfq. So we shall see if this works.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky