Tethering Edge on at&t?

ccerebus

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
So I just made the jump from Apple and got a Note Edge I would like to be able to tether devices with wifi ...without paying att more money. Everything I've read points to foxfi. I downloaded the free version to test, but when I go to enable the Hotspot in foxfi, I get an error saying "mobile Hotspot unavailable" and to either visit a Web page or dial 611. Thoughts?

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
You should have an app called Mobile Hotspot that came with your ATT phone. Click on that an fire up a hotspot. Works great.

There is no monthly charge for using the mobile hotspot like Verizon. There are normal data usage charges.

ccerebus

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
That gives me the exact same messages. Basically means I have to pay the extra $20 a month, which I'm not going to do. I was under the impression that foxfi would let me do this, but I'm either mistaken, or it just doesn't work on my phone.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
You should have an app called Mobile Hotspot that came with your ATT phone. Click on that an fire up a hotspot. Works great.

There is no monthly charge for using the mobile hotspot like Verizon. There are normal data usage charges.

All AT&T plans (legacy/non-Mobile Share Value) do not include mobile hotspot. While there isn't an additional charge for it, customers that have the 3GB and lower plans do not have the option for mobile hotspot at all.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm grandfathered in on the Unlimited data on AT&T also and my phone definitely doesn't let me use the hotspot feature.

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note Edge on AT&T

ccerebus

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
So is the problem AT&T? Is there no way to tether an Android phone on their network (without paying them more money)? ...or would it involve rooting the phone?

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
So is the problem AT&T? Is there no way to tether an Android phone on their network (without paying them more money)? ...or would it involve rooting the phone?

In order to use tethering/mobile hotspot, you have to be on a data plan that allows for this feature. Other than that, you have to use carrier-unapproved methods to get the service. What data plan do you have?

ccerebus

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm grandfathered on their unlimited data plan. "Carrier unapproved" is exactly what I'm looking for. My iPhone was jail broken and I used a program called MyFi to tether devices (via wifi, usb, bluetooth) without giving up my data or paying for the Hotspot option through att. Can I not do that with this phone?

tbran

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Tethering Edge on at&t?

I'm grandfathered on their unlimited data plan. "Carrier unapproved" is exactly what I'm looking for. My iPhone was jail broken and I used a program called MyFi to tether devices (via wifi, usb, bluetooth) without giving up my data or paying for the Hotspot option through att. Can I not do that with this phone?
I loved MyFi! But unfortunately...It's not the phone that is your problem. Back in the day, you could root/jailbreak and then use an app to hotspot or tether to your heart's content.
But technology on the carrier side advanced about 2-3 years ago, to allow them to detect unauthorized hotspotting/tethering. I had an unlimited plan at that time and they slowly sent me a few warning emails to switch from Unl to their 5gb + tethering plan. Naturally I ignored them!
Eventually, they just involuntarily switched my account to the 5gb plan or threatened cancellation! I imagine if you only used it rarely as a laptop hotspot or tether, they might not say anything. But once you start using a Gb or more of data, they start to police you more and more. In this day and age of reasonable shared data plans, its just easier to go legit imo.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® Edge, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Last edited:

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I am on a 15 gb shared data ATT Next plan. Free hotspot app included. No monthly charge.

I only used a few times to test it and it works great. I'd only ever need it if my home internet goes down or traveling to avoid a hotel's wifi charge. Have tethered for years with rooted Verizon phones with no warnings, but I don't really use it enough to raise any flags. But it is a great feature when needed.

I am heading to CES in two weeks and I am sure I'll be tethering because all the hotels in Vegas charge $15 or so a night for wifi.

The key is to make sure you have auto updates turned off on the laptop while tethering. Definitely don't want to download a huge windows update in the background while tethering and use up a Gig or so of data.

For those without free tether and a non rooted phone get PDAnet. It requires you install the app and run a program on your computer but it works without root.

Ridamay

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
....For those without free tether and a non rooted phone get PDAnet. It requires you install the app and run a program on your computer but it works without root.

Pda net has been updated to not work on SAMSUNG devices.

Anyone know how else to tether an att samsung device W/O ROOT?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newprvn