Text messages app

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
Do you use a different text message app...or the default app that comes with the phone? Does talk to text still work with a different app? Thanks.

jtfwTX

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I previously used default Samsung messages but about 5 or 6 mos ago I switched to Google messages to have the RCS iPhone emoji reply capabilities. Yes can still use talk to text. No issues for me at all.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I previously used default Samsung messages but about 5 or 6 mos ago I switched to Google messages to have the RCS iPhone emoji reply capabilities. Yes can still use talk to text. No issues for me at all.

Same! That's about the time I switched from Samsung Messages (that I really liked) to the Samsung skinned Google Messages. I mostly changed as I was getting bombarded with spam texts & Google Messages does a pretty good job of filtering those.

I also use talk to text, without problems.

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
Same! That's about the time I switched from Samsung Messages (that I really liked) to the Samsung skinned Google Messages. I mostly changed as I was getting bombarded with spam texts & Google Messages does a pretty good job of filtering those.

I also use talk to text, without problems.

i have been using Tetra for a long time and it's decent. i especially like the feature you can schedule to send a message at a later date/time.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
When I had my S10 I almost exclusively used Samsung's native SMS app but I think I switched to Google Messages off and on. Voice to text will work on Google Messages!

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I use Google Messages. Yes, voice to text works great.
Same here
I've tried Google messaging off and on, but never get it to work right. I'm hoping you 2 might have ideas or anyone for that matter.

The problem happens when I try to pair with the tablet. Sometimes the tablet will alert me to the new message, sometimes just the watch and phone alert me. Sometimes all 3 will alert me which is what I want. If just the tablet alerts me, when I unlock the phone then the phone and watch will sound the notification and show the message. I've been texting someone just to play with it so battery optimization should not be the issue as been doing constant conversation.

When I use Samsung messages all 3 alert me to a new message when I get one, every time.

Edit.. Both tablet and phone is hooked to same wifi

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've tried Google messaging off and on, but never get it to work right. I'm hoping you 2 might have ideas or anyone for that matter.

The problem happens when I try to pair with the tablet. Sometimes the tablet will alert me to the new message, sometimes just the watch and phone alert me. Sometimes all 3 will alert me which is what I want. If just the tablet alerts me, when I unlock the phone then the phone and watch will sound the notification and show the message. I've been texting someone just to play with it so battery optimization should not be the issue as been doing constant conversation.

When I use Samsung messages all 3 alert me to a new message when I get one, every time.

Edit.. Both tablet and phone is hooked to same wifi

I keep it simple no tablets, computer or watch tied to my phone .

Probably stick with Samsung messages because its own app works for this purpose even though Google app now default also .

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I keep it simple no tablets, computer or watch tied to my phone .

Probably stick with Samsung messages because its own app works for this purpose even though Google app now default also .
It's been working for awhile now but my brother said it will then it will act up again. I was hoping for the chat feature but appears I'm not going to be able to have all 3 work flawless and chat feature. I'll have to choose.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
I am using Google Messages App right now, but previously was always just using the default Samsung Messages App. I periodically switch back to the default Samsung Messages App, because the Google Messages App still doesn't property work in my situation for my Watch5.

What specifically is and where does one find the "Samsung Skinned Google Messages App", in difference from the "Samsung Messages App" published by Samsung, or the "Google Messages App" published by Google?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's been working for awhile now but my brother said it will then it will act up again. I was hoping for the chat feature but appears I'm not going to be able to have all 3 work flawless and chat feature. I'll have to choose.

I think Samsung has to work that out little more since they integrated Samsung/Google collaboration.

Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I am using Google Messages App right now, but previously was always just using the default Samsung Messages App. I periodically switch back to the default Samsung Messages App, because the Google Messages App still doesn't property work in my situation for my Watch5.

What specifically is and where does one find the "Samsung Skinned Google Messages App", in difference from the "Samsung Messages App" published by Samsung, or the "Google Messages App" published by Google?
I be on Samsung messages if unlock firmware in the US had RCS chat features but since both Google and Samsung come default I use Google for RCS

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I be on Samsung messages if unlock firmware in the US had RCS chat features but since both Google and Samsung come default I use Google for RCS

So that's why the fold 4 I have does not have the chat feature, it's unlocked.

That makes me believe Verizon is allowing Samsung to use chat features built in the Verizon messages.

This is one time I approve Google to pull a apple policy and start forcing the RCS for all texting apps. Maybe make the Google messages standard base of text apps. I don't know, but something needs to be done, this works sometimes, carrier version has it built in to Samsung messages but unlocked doesn't. Apple can control carriers, Samsung and Google is big enough to force this RCS by now. Far as I'm concerned, there's no need for carrier versions anymore. If I want Verizon messages it's there for me to get. Google has forced other crap for no reason such as third party apps can't turn airplane mode on and off.

Just release the damn phone and we can add what we want. Rant over.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So that's why the fold 4 I have does not have the chat feature, it's unlocked.

That makes me believe Verizon is allowing Samsung to use chat features built in the Verizon messages.

This is one time I approve Google to pull a apple policy and start forcing the RCS for all texting apps. Maybe make the Google messages standard base of text apps. I don't know, but something needs to be done, this works sometimes, carrier version has it built in to Samsung messages but unlocked doesn't. Apple can control carriers, Samsung and Google is big enough to force this RCS by now. Far as I'm concerned, there's no need for carrier versions anymore. If I want Verizon messages it's there for me to get. Google has forced other crap for no reason such as third party apps can't turn airplane mode on and off.

Just release the damn phone and we can add what we want. Rant over.

I can get into a whole rant about this myself, it's Sunday