The iPhone 12 may not come with a charging adapter — what's your take on that?

Joe Maring

Sep 24, 2017
Visit site
Rumor has it that Apple is dropping the included charging adapter with the iPhone 12 in an effort to cut costs.

What's your take on this? Every phone is expected to come with a cable and adapter so you have the means to charge it without any other accessories. Not including the adapter and effectively not giving people an out-of-the-box way to charge seems odd, no?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
It's beyond stupid not to include a required charger, as it is their cords are low quality and prone to failure, just another way for them to make cash and sadly it won't hurt their sales.

If this is true I'm sure fan boys will proclaim it's a great thing to buy the charger separate and all Androids should do the same.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I guess I can kind of understand the reason for this, since so many people have mountains of chargers and charging cables at home. I think it'd make more sense if Apple gave consumers the option to get a charger/cable with their phone (for free) or not. Just have the charger in a separate package and hand them to the consumer if they request it. But don't charge for it -- that's tacky.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Rumor has it that Apple is dropping the included charging adapter with the iPhone 12 in an effort to cut costs.

What's your take on this? Every phone is expected to come with a cable and adapter so you have the means to charge it without any other accessories. Not including the adapter and effectively not giving people an out-of-the-box way to charge seems odd, no?

I highly doubt it’s true and this is probably a rumor that was used to suss out an internal leakster I am sure, someone probably lost their job over this

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site

apple is doing the taking, not me :) I just wonder, reduce whose costs? what they are leaving out costs next to nothing to make though they cost a fortune if you had to buy one. hopefully it is just a false rumor.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I guess I can kind of understand the reason for this, since so many people have mountains of chargers and charging cables at home. I think it'd make more sense if Apple gave consumers the option to get a charger/cable with their phone (for free) or not. Just have the charger in a separate package and hand them to the consumer if they request it. But don't charge for it -- that's tacky.
Except that their charger's changed with the iPhone 11

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used an OEM charger in years. Even with my new LG V60, it's only seen the OEM charger and cable once, just to see what it would do. It wouldn't bother me if those were no longer included. I would throw the caveat in that I would expect that cost cutting to translate to a lower phone price, but it's such a cheap accessory that there's no way to tell unless they offer a version with the charger and cable at a higher price.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I haven't used an OEM charger in years. Even with my new LG V60, it's only seen the OEM charger and cable once, just to see what it would do. It wouldn't bother me if those were no longer included. I would throw the caveat in that I would expect that cost cutting to translate to a lower phone price, but it's such a cheap accessory that there's no way to tell unless they offer a version with the charger and cable at a higher price.
Depends on the charger these days. Sometimes there is a benefit to using the factory charger.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Apple
Its like getting a brand new car from dealer no gas in it and they tell you go put quarter tank before so you can take it home , or leave the tire valve caps off all 4 tires

Hope it not true

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Except that their charger's changed with the iPhone 11

But the wall plug still has a USB-C port, right? Those are becoming more common now (and I'm guessing a lot of iPhone owners have USB-A-to-Lightning cables to use with other wall plugs with USB-A ports).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
But the wall plug still has a USB-C port, right? Those are becoming more common now (and I'm guessing a lot of iPhone owners have USB-A-to-Lightning cables to use with other wall plugs with USB-A ports).
They went from USB A to USB C and the charger has more output.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Such as? My primary chargers are a fair bit slower than the OEM charger, which will help prolong battery life.

I don't know anyone that really wants to slow charge. Maybe here at AC I've heard 1 or 2 people including yourself, however I feel like we have gone over this fast charge verses slow charge before and we aren't about to change each other's mind.
From what I know about batteries and have discussed with subject matter experts at the world's largest utility: As long as you don't exceed the C rate, there shouldn't be any noticeable difference in longevity between a slow charge and a fast charge.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't know anyone that really wants to slow charge. Maybe here at AC I've heard 1 or 2 people including yourself, however I feel like we have gone over this fast charge verses fast charge before and we aren't about to change each other's mind.
From what I know about batteries and have discussed with subject matter experts at the world's largest utility: As long as you don't exceed the C rate, there shouldn't be any noticeable difference in longevity between a slow charge and a fast charge.
True , been fast charging for awhile now , no issues

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
One word. Courage.

FML

I guess they're finally coming out with some wireless charger like no other, that's just simply amazing.

What I hate even more is, Samsung and the rest will make this move as well.

customshopkv1

Feb 26, 2020
Visit site
I don't know anyone that really wants to slow charge. Maybe here at AC I've heard 1 or 2 people including yourself, however I feel like we have gone over this fast charge verses slow charge before and we aren't about to change each other's mind.
I have fast charging turned off on a schedule for when I am sleeping. I just don't want to listen to the charger fan running and obviously I don't care if it takes 3 hours to charge.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

I guess slow is a relative term. Mine charge at a max 3A, which technically falls into the quick charge range (QC3.0), or 0.6C on my LG V60's 5,000mAh battery. That's still plenty fast.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
According to Apple, it's to ensure that the prices for the iPhone 12 are the same or not much higher than the 11, to make up for the extra 5G cost.

But still...not including a charger + cable (which costs at least $30 separately I think) is silly.