The official bloggers review thread.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Here we go with the reception issues again.... He did say in other videos that he has poor reception for all carriers in his office. This conflicting reporting thing is annoying. I hope when more members get their phone tomorrow we will see what reception strength really is like.

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
His findings on signal strength and download speed are disturbing for me, since internet access is a major use of the phone for me! Coming after so many "reception is fine" reports really bothers me.

I'm wondering if they have something like a problem with bad radio/antenna/connector parts from certain suppliers or build quality that only affects certain phones. The other possibility is that some reviewers aren't doing a good job. But with Aaron showing his speedtests here, that gives him quite a bit of credibility.

I'm going to be scrutinizing web browsing and download speed on my phone carefully!

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
His findings on signal strength and download speed are disturbing for me, since internet access is a major use of the phone for me! Coming after so many "reception is fine" reports really bothers me.

I'm wondering if they have something like a problem with bad radio/antenna/connector parts from certain suppliers or build quality that only affects certain phones. The other possibility is that some reviewers aren't doing a good job. But with Aaron showing his speedtests here, that gives him quite a bit of credibility.

I'm going to be scrutinizing web browsing and download speed on my phone carefully!

Yeah, me too, before RS gets my Evo 4G, I will test the 3d first to make sure it's fine.

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site

This shouldnt surprise anyone. The Nexus S 4G suffers from reception and data problems and so have the Evo 4G and shift since the GB update. Sprint has already been forced to issue OTA maintenance fixes for it. Not sure if they work yet but something is wrong with GB and Sprints network for sure. If you live in a solid coverage area, you may not be effected as much but if you live in a bad or even decent area...

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I think it is very much based on your location. Some of the reviews actually reported pretty good data speeds, so find out for yourself, if you are in good service area like me, you shouldnt have any issues. I have been using the nexus for a few weeks now and waiting on amazon to ship me the evo 3d, I haven't had too many reception issues with it. I get pretty good 4g signal almost all the time. It switches to 3g sometimes but thats in wimax deadspots, doesn't happen very often.

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I know when I had a problem with the EVO 4G I updated my profile and everything ran faster, especially download speeds. My guess he didn't update PRL, Profile, etc. Also a full erase does wonders. I guess we will have to see for ourselves. If I find that the reception is poor, I might have to trade it in for the Photon as a last resort. My guess is that the radio can get an update like they did for the EVO 4G, fixing reception problems last year

EMT J

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Since none of the other video or print reviews I've come across have mentioned poor reception with this device, I believe this is just a location issue. he's in an area where Sprint's coverage is weak. We all know If you're only getting one or two bars, reception and data speeds will be poor. Here in NYC I get great coverage on 3G and 4G so I'll see for myself on Friday morning whether there is an actual reception issue with this phone.

On a side note, there seems to be alot of anticipation for this device, at least at my local Best Buy. A lady from there called me today to setup an appointment to pick it up on Friday and she told me they were opening @ 8am , not their usual 10. They're also doing appointments this year, whereas last year they didn't. Guess there's more interest this year.

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
Since none of the other video or print reviews I've come across have mentioned poor reception with this device, I believe this is just a location issue. he's in an area where Sprint's coverage is weak.

He's in Charlotte. The guy from Phonescoop that reported the same issues was in NJ. I saw similar issues today in Anaheim, CA. Three very different locations with similar issues.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
He's in Charlotte. The guy from Phonescoop that reported the same issues was in NJ. I saw similar issues today in Anaheim, CA. Three very different locations with similar issues.

why are you so set on proving that there is something wrong with the signal reception on the phone. there have been so many reviews and most of them didn't mention any signal issues, may be some did and most of them also admitted service is not that great in their area.

I have a nexus and in my area I get no fricking service issue. May be it drops down to 3g in a dead zone, but most of the time it is on 4g, and I live an SO Cal too. The only reason I am splitting up with the nexus is because the damn phone takes hours to charge, kinda ridiculous.

can we leave this until there are phones in the wild and in customers hands. If I have signal issues I will be the first one to complain.

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I didnt have these issues with the3d. Im guessing his service is beyond terrible where he is at... My youtube page loads almost instantly on 3g on the 3d. Browsing has been on par or better than my nexus so far. I havent seen issues with coverage yet, but Im in a great coverage area.. Now if your in a poor area of coverage, I could see this being an issue. Its apparent gingerbread devices have connection issues, but its really only a serious issue in bad coverage areas.. If you have good coverage, I wouldnt worry about the signal. As far as call quality is concerned, its just decent. I can safely say I agree with phone dog about the nexus having much better call quality. The evo's earpiece did rattle a bit, and it wasnt as clear. However its still tolerable, and I use my bluetooth, alot anyways.

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Htc needs to take a page out from motto phones when it comes to speakers.. Motto has the best speakers in their devices. I want to see htc step it up in that department, as they are one of my fav phone companies. Lets move away from the tiny sounding speakers...

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
why are you so set on proving that there is something wrong with the signal reception on the phone. there have been so many reviews and most of them didn't mention any signal issues, may be some did and most of them also admitted service is not that great in their area.

I have a nexus and in my area I get no fricking service issue. May be it drops down to 3g in a dead zone, but most of the time it is on 4g, and I live an SO Cal too. The only reason I am splitting up with the nexus is because the damn phone takes hours to charge, kinda ridiculous.

can we leave this until there are phones in the wild and in customers hands. If I have signal issues I will be the first one to complain.

Ok cool. Wish I could say the same for my Nexus. I would get a few bars of 3G in most places but there were too many times it would drop to 1x and even roaming and this was in Irvine! Not like its middle of nowhere. What part of SoCal are you in?

PhoneJunkie

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

Why do you continue to troll the EVO threads? You don't have the phone, nor are you going to get the phone. You've switched carriers, so now you really have no business being here. I suppose it would be different if you actually added something. But your comments are meant for no other reason than to irritate people. Out of multiple reviews there have been 3 guys bring up reception being mediocre, 2 of which said its not the phone its the Sprint service where they are. But you always seem to leave that part out.

Now I know you would like nothing more than the EVO 3D to fail miserably, but its not going to happen. So stay in the Sensation and T-mobile forums and tell everyone there how superior your phone is to everything else, I'm sure they would love to hear it. But here people are tired of your act.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felisovci