The Official Froyo News, Speculation and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
The title of the thread The Official Froyo News, Speculation and Discussion Thread covers the content being discussed.
What may be useless info to you, others may find helpful.

And you forgot to bold NEWS in your sarcastic reply...and that was the point. I just wanted the title to reflect this thread as the DISCUSSION and SPECULATION thread. News ain't part of it and every time it gets bumped back up the list, I think "is it news on the FROYO release?" and it's always just more moaning about it NOT being released. That's all.

Thrack

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
No it didn't. That would have been huge news. Where do you get that from?

Looks like a Samsung FAQ page for 2.2 on the Captivate showed up yesterday along with the one for the Epic. Some sites like Engadget were reporting that the update was actually out. That page has been pulled, just like the page for the Epic.

Gersonian

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Looks like a Samsung FAQ page for 2.2 on the Captivate showed up yesterday along with the one for the Epic. Some sites like Engadget were reporting that the update was actually out. That page has been pulled, just like the page for the Epic.

Yeah that's what I thought. Didn't mean to seem angry about it. I just know how people get up in arms on Epic threads.

Reactions: simple503

mcp6530

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
My epic works fine - gps locks in quick - battery life is manageable....yes, i have to clear some apps from time to time since they can't be on sd, but i can deal with it. flash..eh, whatev.

I am in no hurry for froyo because i like being able to get my corp email without having to use a password every time. my friends with froyo all have to unlock their phones every single time they use them b/c their corp email is on their phone. that would be annoying so i can live with eclair.

hangtime79

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Most likely...No. Every date has been blown at this point. This is old hardware at this point to Samsung. Forget about an official Froyo update and go check out ReBirth; you will be glad you did.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
So is this going to come FEB 20 something or not?

it wasnt mentioned in the sprint playbook for this week, so probably not since it covers wed to wed. Things are looking grimm. Reith the crap samsung john is doing just pisses me off more than it makes me hopeful. May switch to vzw for thunderbolt, dont know yet.

scheets973

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
VM is going to get an update for 2.2 3/25 so I see no reason why the galaxy would not at least get this update. But, with samsung, who knows right? When are the Galaxy 2's coming out?

hangtime79

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
VM is going to get an update for 2.2 3/25 so I see no reason why the galaxy would not at least get this update. But, with samsung, who knows right? When are the Galaxy 2's coming out?

I believe they were debuting at MWC. That means they are < 6 months away and probably close to 4. Samsung has ditched the Epic internally I am almost positive. Support your local ROM providers. Rebirth has Froyo now. I imagine we will see a Gingerbread port in the future. Would be awesome to see Cyanogen make it to Epic. You will get more support from the ROM community then you ever will out of Samsung.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I hope Samsung didn't ditch the Epic, I really love the phone - it has been perfect for me and is the best phone I have had so far including gps - of course I said about my Moment.

I actually set my Epic up exactly like my Moment - I mean they are almost 99% identical on all 7 screens in LP etc - I have a perfect backup phone. :cool:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I hope Samsung didn't ditch the Epic, I really love the phone - it has been perfect for me and is the best phone I have had so far including gps - of course I said about my Moment.

I actually set my Epic up exactly like my Moment - I mean they are almost 99% identical on all 7 screens in LP etc - I have a perfect backup phone. :cool:

Its funny that the Moment is still so talked about. My buddy still swears by his Moment. I have tried to talk him into upgrading to something newer but he said it surfs the net good, great Wifi and he said the keyboard still feels better than the Epic and other sliders.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Yup, I love my Moment, it's fairly quick, nice screen except in bright daylight, and my gps in both Moment and Epic work perfect except for the hard coded 30m/98.4' bug, I mean the gps is accurate, it is just a perception thing that number is off and only the number, not the actual position, and the lock time is slow only before a certain threshold in signal strength - with good signal both my Moment and Epic lock with in 10sec or less.

My Epic is a little bigger and faster - I needed a bigger and better screen especially in the sunlight, slightly faster cpu, and multitouch for panning and zooming, as I sometimes need to do remote desktop support from my phone when I am not by my computer.

One thing that I like about my Moment over the Epic is that it has a little optical pad which does come in handy when you need it, oh it for some reason feels more sturdy.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yup, I love my Moment, it's fairly quick, nice screen except in bright daylight, and my gps in both Moment and Epic work perfect except for the hard coded 30m/98.4' bug, I mean the gps is accurate, it is just a perception thing that number is off and only the number, not the actual position, and the lock time is slow only before a certain threshold in signal strength - with good signal both my Moment and Epic lock with in 10sec or less.

My Epic is a little bigger and faster - I needed a bigger and better screen especially in the sunlight, slightly faster cpu, and multitouch for panning and zooming, as I sometimes need to do remote desktop support from my phone when I am not by my computer.

One thing that I like about my Moment over the Epic is that it has a little optical pad which does come in handy when you need it, oh it for some reason feels more sturdy.

Yes the optical pad. I miss the trackball on my Blackberry. Not that you used it a whole lot but in certain situations there no beating the trackball/optical pad.

robomav

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I love my epic which is why it is so disappointing that spring/samsung are not doing more to support it. i may not buy another samsung phone but i wont leave sprint becuase of how cheap my plan is for what i get

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anonymous Jones