The Official Froyo News, Speculation and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Sprint ID would force me into paying for someone to root my phone and install a different ROM.

@keithvetter, as much as you've been hanging around these forums and reading/posting stuff I would think rooting your phone wouldn't be such a issue. Why would you pay to have someone do something so simple for you?

I think if Sprint ID is part of official Froyo that will be one of the first things the devs remove in the first few hours.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
@keithvetter, as much as you've been hanging around these forums and reading/posting stuff I would think rooting your phone wouldn't be such a issue. Why would you pay to have someone do something so simple for you?

I think if Sprint ID is part of official Froyo that will be one of the first things the devs remove in the first few hours.

Faith in my computer skills.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
What is Sprint ID and why would it not be good?

Thanks!

Sprint ID

Basically it will be another one of those Sprint bloatware. Plus its been rumored there will be advertising ads tied in with it which will draw from your resources thus reducing battery life. It may appeal to many but for others it will be another useless piece of Sprint bloatware tied into our phones.

Reactions: robomav

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Faith in my computer skills.

Can't be that bad... If your already hooking up your phone via cable for mass storage usage/charging then you already have performed one part of the entire rooting process.

The rest is a simple program ran from your computer and bingo, rooted and if wanted your choice of a new OS.

I think your under estimating yourself.. ;)

Brianadfl

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
When it gets here, most will find that all the whining and complaining was hardly worth it. As the upgrade isn't all that big a deal. I do however want to move some apps to the sd card and have flash video. Other than that, not much else I'm interested in.

I'm tired of ppl posting these comments. Its not the upgrade itself, its the principle at this point. If a phone has a upgrade then upgrade the phone. Don't come out with 20 phones with the updated software and don't upgrade the ppl who did spend their hard earned money. This will be one of the few things that wil make Android lose a lot of their support. Unless they get a grab on some of these manufactures and shake them a couple times they'll keep doing it over and over.

Btw I do still have 2.2 on my epic. Will I go back to 2.1? hell no! So I guess it will be worth it.

Sent from my Epic 4g using Taptalk.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I just hope people aren't expecting a perfect version of Froyo because of all the wait time... I would be really surprised if it was bug free and performing to every ones expectations.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I'll say it again only because I'm so frustrated at this point: all I want is official working GPS and the ability to copy apps to SD. Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy with my Epic. Because I use this for work and really need official support (my employers expect it), I really can't root although I'm perfectly capable of doing it.

Reactions: simple503

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I just hope people aren't expecting a perfect version of Froyo because of all the wait time... I would be really surprised if it was bug free and performing to every ones expectations.

I agree. I did see a post at XDA where someone listed all the versions of froyo since DK28 and there was quite a few listed, so hopefully they got quite a few of the froyo issues worked out. It's too bad none of them ever got leaked to us.

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
re the supposed update on the 21st: not a word since the original rumored announcement, no leaks no nothing. Not sure if this is a good thing or not.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm expecting if/when it does drop to be not that far off from the leaked version we had. I think the biggest thing is the GPS bug. I really hope if they did anything they did something to address that for those who are having trouble. Any other issues can be dealt with or worked around.

My biggest fear is all the new devices and technology getting presented to everyone at the last few big conferences. You aren't hearing much "support" speaking from any of the big names on any of the current existing devices, everything is about dual cores and Honeycomb. I think even Gingerbread is taking a back seat to all the dual core and Honeycomb talk these days. I'm afraid we stepped into the device market right at the wrong moment, if you would of waited until this spring/summer to upgrade to a different model you would of been in much better shape.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Can we get an administrator to rename this thread to the "Official Froyo discussion thread?" There is no news on this thread and I'm getting tired of following it due to new posts every day when I'm actually looking for news on Froyo. It's like this thread is constantly bumped back up with useless info.

Reactions: whatev

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Can we get an administrator to rename this thread to the "Official Froyo discussion thread?" There is no news on this thread and I'm getting tired of following it due to new posts every day when I'm actually looking for news on Froyo. It's like this thread is constantly bumped back up with useless info.

The title of the thread The Official Froyo News, Speculation and Discussion Thread covers the content being discussed.
What may be useless info to you, others may find helpful.

Reactions: Windfrenzy

Thrack

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I just saw this link posted in the Froyo thread over at XDA Developers. It's a Samsung FAQ page dated Feb 15th describing how to update Epics to Froyo build EB13. The only thing missing is the actual file to do so.
This seems to jive with the idea of Froyo coming out next week. For now you can see all of the updates and fixes that it'll come with.

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone explain the following?

The Galaxy S phones on U.S. carriers (except T-Mobile) remain at 2.1. Samsung announced the Galaxy S2 at MWC and now its specifications are known. Specifically, it has 2.3 on it. Sprint's new Echo phone has 2.2 running on it, and this phone is dual screen. Samsung also announced the Galaxy S 4G (Vibrant 4G?) for T-Mobile, and that phone has 2.2 on it.

International Galaxy S phones have been updated for some time. Supposedly, once word of a lawsuit went public, T-Mobile/Samsung quickly got the update out for the Vibrant. Since then, Samsung and the carriers continue posting their "scripted responses" of how they have no information available concerning a release date. All there is to go off of is a rumor of the 2.2 coming next week. Even more concerning is how Samsung continues to state that no announcement has been made regarding updating the U.S. line of Galaxy S phones to 2.3.

So, here's the question. If certain Galaxy S phones in the U.S. have been updated to 2.2 and the next version of the Galaxy S phones have 2.3 on them, then what is the hold up? Why does this have to drag on for several months?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

The only legitimate place you really need to check is Android Centrals main page. If and when something important Froyo related to us Epic users drops they will have it posted there. Your more than welcome to come here and chat or discuss things. Were all friendly users just discussing theories on Froyo and what may or may not happen.

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
NO NO NO!!! I don't want Froyo- I love my slow, clunky, no flash, no program on sd card, formerly flagship device!! They're gonna install it automatically and then I'm stuck! I want to slowly fade into mediocrity just like I did with my Treo.

Status
Not open for further replies.