The only flaw I've found with my LG G4 so far. (Gallery app too quick to delete images)

espio

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I've had this happen 3 times now over the past month and it is pretty frustrating. I take a great photo and then when I'm clicking on the "sharing" button my finger hits the delete button by mistake and without warning the photo is gone with an undo button appearing at the bottom of the screen for 1 second or less, far to quick for me to undo the unwanted delete. I wish it would ask me if I'm sure that I want to delete the photo before getting rid of it. They need to make an "are you sure?" prompt or move the delete button to the other side of the screen, far away from the sharing button.

I've had the phone since June 2nd and so far this is my only real complaint about it.

Attached is a screenshot showing the position of the buttons on the photo gallery.
Screenshot_2015-07-12-16-17-45_b.jpg

t0ny_juni0r

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Much like sswitzer said, QuickPic. It's the most reliable gallery app out there. You should also download dumpster. Dumpster is going to serve as the recycle bin for your Android. Quite handy for when you change your mind about a deleted picture or ones you've deleted accidentally.

sata

May 2, 2015
Visit site
I like quickpic, but I sometimes use the gallery app as well.

On the G2, the gallery app asked you before pressing the delete button.

But on the G4, they removed another feature in the gallery app (from G2); when you viewed a picture, it had thumbnails on button of the rest of the images. On the G4 you don't have it, nor on quickpic.

RicKaysen

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

But on the G4, they removed another feature in the gallery app (from G2); when you viewed a picture, it had thumbnails on button of the rest of the images. On the G4 you don't have it, nor on quickpic.

I noticed that too when I first got my G4. It kinda took me by surprise and I was glad I didn't delete something I didn't intend to.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I've had this happen 3 times now over the past month and it is pretty frustrating. I take a great photo and then when I'm clicking on the "sharing" button my finger hits the delete button by mistake and without warning the photo is gone with an undo button appearing at the bottom of the screen for 1 second or less, far to quick for me to undo the unwanted delete. I wish it would ask me if I'm sure that I want to delete the photo before getting rid of it. They need to make an "are you sure?" prompt or move the delete button to the other side of the screen, far away from the sharing button.

I've had the phone since June 2nd and so far this is my only real complaint about it.

Attached is a screenshot showing the position of the buttons on the photo gallery.
View attachment 186283

Agreed. Happened to me too once. Was shocked the picture was gone just like that....

Developing some film there?

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site

There are 2 reasons for G4 owners to switch over to QuickPic:

1. It does ask you to confirm before deleting
  2. You can use "full brightness" when viewing photos, without the need for fancy Tasker recipes

I do agree about the thumbnails at the bottom when viewing a photo.... that would be way cool. I just checked my QuickPic, thinking it would be an option... but alas, it was not. However, that's the sort of thing that I can see them coming up with down the road.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Much like sswitzer said, QuickPic. It's the most reliable gallery app out there. You should also download dumpster. Dumpster is going to serve as the recycle bin for your Android. Quite handy for when you change your mind about a deleted picture or ones you've deleted accidentally.

Tried dumpster. It worked for the first picture I deleted, but now it dosen't work. Shows as empty no matter how many pics I delete. Strange.

Uninstalled and reinstalled and now working - with a couple of caveats -

1) won't save or restore dng files.

2) won't restore files deleted from external SD card. They do show up in the "dumpster" and act like they are restoring, but they don't and when you go back to the dumpster they are there again. There is a workaround for this though, as you can still share the files to your email.

Last edited:

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Tried dumpster. It worked for the first picture I deleted, but now it dosen't work. Shows as empty no matter how many pics I delete. Strange.

2) won't restore files deleted from external SD card. They do show up in the "dumpster" and act like they are restoring, but they don't and when you go back to the dumpster they are there again. There is a workaround for this though, as you can still share the files to your email.

Good investigation! Thanks.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
There are 2 reasons for G4 owners to switch over to QuickPic:

1. It does ask you to confirm before deleting
  2. You can use "full brightness" when viewing photos, without the need for fancy Tasker recipes

I do agree about the thumbnails at the bottom when viewing a photo.... that would be way cool. I just checked my QuickPic, thinking it would be an option... but alas, it was not. However, that's the sort of thing that I can see them coming up with down the road.

Just tried out QuickPic. I like it. Thanks for the heads up.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Just tried out QuickPic. I like it. Thanks for the heads up.

One quick quickpic tip (say that 3 times fast!): if you're storing your photos on external sd, and you use the quickpic editor you'll get the "can't save" error... do not despair! Do a "delete", and that will trigger the external sd write prompt for quickpic, allowing quickpic from now on to be able to save photo edits to external.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, that's my only gripe with the phone so far, but I'm usually quick enough to hit that "undo" button.

But really, they should've just put a confirmation box just like everyone else.

But since I've already opted for the Google Photos cloud backup, I'm fine.

t0ny_juni0r

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site

Regarding dng files, I honestly don't know much about that as I don't use this format anyways so Dumpster works fine for my usage.
I went on to see if I had the same issue with files deleted from external SD and I was able to restore them back. When restored though, they're now placed in internal storage instead.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Regarding dng files, I honestly don't know much about that as I don't use this format anyways so Dumpster works fine for my usage.
I went on to see if I had the same issue with files deleted from external SD and I was able to restore them back. When restored though, they're now placed in internal storage instead.

Dumpster sounded interesting, so I've given it a try on my wife's Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1. We use this when traveling to store Raw files from her Canon DSLR, which have the .CR2 extension. These are not recognized by Dumpster, so are not backed up, apparently the same way it doesn't save the Raw LG G4 files, with the .dng extension.

I have contacted the company that offers Dumpster, requesting some way to include .CR2 files, and interestingly, I received a response while composing this reply. They said:

This feature is still under development and will be released in one of the next versions, so stay tuned.

Doesn't help me now, but maybe they'll follow up on this.

In a prior response on a different question, they indicated that files from both the internal phone memory, as well as the SD card, would be included in their 'recycle bin,' and if restored would be restored to their original location. Is that not the case, even for files that it does include??

xxKerplunk80xx

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Major flaw. I have the same problem and it's devastating to lose such amazing photos. It has me heartbroken! I wonder if there is away to create a prompt on the LGG4 instead of downloading apps?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac