There was a problem while playing. Touch to retry.

trackath

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Every single video I try to play in the youtube app gives this message: There was a problem while playing. Touch to retry.
If I go to Youtube.com, Cannot Play video. Sorry this video cannot be played.
The videos do not even start to play. It doesn't even try for very long.
I have the lastest update and updated prl. And also the lastest youtube app update.
It's terrible. Any ideas?

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
(Just tested)
I am not getting any errors at all. I played around six clips and all play within seconds. Are you using 3g, 4g, or wifi. Sometimes using 3g, or wifi will buffer a lot depending on the signal strength. However, if you're getting this error while on a good 4g connection..then you need to update Data Profile. Menu - settings -system updates - data profile.
PS. The video itself might be the cause. Also, restarting the phone help to refreshed the system as well.

Best of luck.

Reactions: trackath

trackath

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
so strange

It seems some have this issue and some not at all. I find this other places online, too.
I am mostly on 3g or WiFi. I have a weak 4g signal at my house. Have the issue even on WiFi. I restarted my phone. few days ago when Pandora totally locked it up. Didn't help. It did seem to improve a bit when I updated my profile. Thanks for your replies and if I find anything else I will post here.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It seems some have this issue and some not at all. I find this other places online, too.
I am mostly on 3g or WiFi. I have a weak 4g signal at my house. Have the issue even on WiFi. I restarted my phone. few days ago when Pandora totally locked it up. Didn't help. It did seem to improve a bit when I updated my profile. Thanks for your replies and if I find anything else I will post here.
If you were able to use 4g connection - you'll be amazed of the difference between 3g and 4g. Video plays almost instantly... I'm always on 4g. Some people complain about 4g uses more battery power than wifi and 3g > Honestly, I don't see any significant difference between any of them.

Sener

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
are you playing mobile vidoes? sometime it would do this to me but because teh video is not optimized for mobile, so i go to the internet & full site...

Alleycat9US9

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes I get the same exact error when trying to play purchased movies from the Google Play Store, there tech support is working on the problem. Even if I download the movie to the device it still won't play. I think a Google Adobe situation is behind this.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
MX Video Player could possibly replace the playback issues for non-YouTube videos.

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

Daniel Baker3

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm having this problem right now after updating the new app for android from play store... App complaints aside I use this thing daily, and I have powered down modem and router. I have changed the DNS address to Google on router settings. I have powered down phone and I am getting nowhere with this. It was working, I won't say fine, but how it is supposed to work. It will play videos when not running wi-fi, which is torturously slow and pointless, but as soon as I switch to wi-fi it says "there was a problem, touch to retry"... Complete torture... anybody figures this out yet??????

Damian Leighton

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem with my nexus 4! don't worry tho i found a fix for it. well a least a temporary fix for it The fix isn't with the official youtube app its self but with the URL.
Step 1: go to YouTube
Step 2: bookmark it under mobile bookmarks are what ever you prefer.
step 3: Create a short cut
step 4: click on "shortcuts" go to book marks and choose youtube
and there you go! i have noticed that youtube videos only work for me online so if you create this short cut its exactly like using the app but even faster! Give it a try man fxed my problem! Still I don't have a solution for the official youtube app, sadly enough. They will probably fix it on the next update but till then i just use the shortcut i personally think it's faster than the app anyway. :)[/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited:

wroiye

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys I have found a Solution :) it is quite simple actually. Go into your settings > power option> make sure that you do not have fast reboot on. That way your phone will properly restart. Then simply power it off, take out your sim card, wait 2 mins, replace it and restart it and then it will work :). However this is only for Android Jelly Bean or later. Best of Luck

Zvdo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
For me nothing worked until this:

tried to clean data restart and so on, till I uninstalled update and now it works. I think they try to implement something so you can't watch from other country as my phone think I'm from US but I'm in Europe or they made really poor app.

Crappy version: 5.1.10
My version: 4.4.11

If you can't unistall update, uninstall app and find old version ;)

enaea3448

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
ive been having the same issue for two months!!!! holy beeep holes.... called sprint and they were not able fix it, wasted 2 hours and 34 minutes of my time but, I FOUND THE SOLUTION!! updates and restarting is not going to do anything all bull beeeep.. simple and easy GO TO INTERNET EXPLORER HIT MENU SCROLL TO SETTINGS AND HIT ADVANCE, SCROLL DOWN TO RESET TO DEFAULT AND RESTORE.. WOW THANK ME LATER. if it doesnt work then im sorry but your phone is crappy. lol. just kidding hope it helps.