Things the Android phone or Nexus 5 does better than the iPhone

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
So... why is Apple a sponsor (top-level member) of the consortium of companies that promotes, develops and maintains Miracast?

Sure it does. Developers have to pay Apple something they don't have to pay Google. If they want to make the same amount of money per download, they have to jack up the price on App Store. Apple is adding to their costs, only partly, but therefore they share partly in the blame for price.

I don't want to speak for Shilohcane, but I believe the point is that are good, solid Android choices for someone on a budget, while there are none on iPhone. The point is that value and affordability are as legitimate consumer consideration as anything else.

NFC works all of the time. I pay with Google Wallet all the time, and the only "problem" I face is bug-eyes from others in line and the cashiers - what did you do?

I see, all the things you value are legitimate concerns. All the things everyone else values, who needs'em? By the way, maybe you should try the Nexus 5's wireless charging. It charges nearly as fast on wireless as with a cable. But more than that, phones are about choices. This is a choice some of us like. You don't have to like it, but you don't get to say it doesn't count.

It doesn't matter. Apple doesn't use Miracast does it? Apple uses WebKit but then again they were the ones that made it open standard so...

Posted via Android Central App

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I see, all the things you value are legitimate concerns. All the things everyone else values, who needs'em? By the way, maybe you should try the Nexus 5's wireless charging. It charges nearly as fast on wireless as with a cable. But more than that, phones are about choices. This is a choice some of us like. You don't have to like it, but you don't get to say it doesn't count.
I have been using Qi charging for about a year now. My observations and measurements are empirical, and my conclusions and concerns valid. But you're right, getting into a feature for feature comparison is not germane to the discussion at hand. I should have simply ignored those remarks.

Choice is good. So why is Apple not as good of a one as Android? Both provide a varying customer experience the other is not willing to and/or capable of providing. But for some reason a company that invests all their time and effort into building a product they must sell for a profit is evil, whereas the other company that exists to mine your personal information to sell to advertisers is not? Two different business models, each with its own distinct advantages. Google is nimble, quick, and due to the relative expectations involved when you seemingly give everything away for free, able to get away with some real stinkers (as well as find many pearls). Apple is about building an product based ecosystem and laying down significant infrastructure to ensure its success. Product failure hits the bottom line almost immediately, and stockholders will hold those responsible for it accountable (hence mr. forstall's abrupt departure after Maps). I accept both and fault neither. Clearly that is not the case with all of you.

Final thought... and pretty much just for grins. Have any of you noticed that since the acquisition of Motorola, Google has become significantly less open? I'll go out on a limb here and make a prediction that this trend will continue. That is a much more interesting discussion than this one.

Good night.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Actually that is a good point and indeed a more interesting discussion. You're far from alone in noticing the changes in Google, it's something that's been alluded to quite often lately both on the technology articles I read on Flipboard as well as the TWiT radio shows I listen to.

I'm ok with it as long as Google keeps the apps they're making more proprietary to a high standard. Lately though I have been disappointed in several of them, namely Gmail, YouTube, Keyboard, and to a lesser extent, Maps

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Guys, I hate to interrupt, but I would much prefer to see threads that remain productive, on topic, and most importantly - respectful to all participants. If you do not feel like you are about to contribute in that manner, please do the adult thing and just move along. There are other threads that require your expertise in a much calmer manner. If you feel a member is violating forum rules, please hit the report button and we'd be glad to check it out. Thanks!

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Choice is good. So why is Apple not as good of a one as Android?
See, I never said Apple isn't "as good" a choice as Android. It might be. In fact, it may be - and is - a better choice for some. But it's a terrible choice for me. Whether iOS is "good" is a matter of personal opinion, and I don't have a bone to pick with yours. I can't tell you if iOS is "as good" a choice. I can tell you, objectively:
  • that there are far less variety of devices to choose from on iOS than on Android.
  • that Android delivers a far broader range of price choice in devices.
  • that Android has some capabilities iOS doesn't: home screen widgets, the ability to replace default apps, and any-app sharing.
  • that Android supports hardware features such as NFC and wireless charging that iOS has yet to.
  • that there are others.
That isn't to say iOS has no advantages of Android. One thing that comes rushing to mind is the iPhone camera that has far less shutter lag than even some of the best Android phone cameras out there.

But I don't own a phone for the purpose of the camera (not that others couldn't do that), and for me, iOS is not nearly as good a choice as Android.

But for some reason a company that invests all their time and effort into building a product they must sell for a profit is evil, whereas the other company that exists to mine your personal information to sell to advertisers is not?
Except, again, I never called Apple "evil."

I accept both and fault neither.
That is what you keep saying. But you keep writing posts about how Google uses its users as beta testers while Apple doesn't, and how features Android supports but Apple doesn't are of no consequence.

Clearly that is not the case with all of you.
That's nice, but no one here elected me to speak for them, so when you're talking to me, you're talking only to me.

Final thought... and pretty much just for grins. Have any of you noticed that since the acquisition of Motorola, Google has become significantly less open?
Google started being "less open" before it acquired Motorola, and yes, the trend has continued. But what does that have to do with this discussion? When did I say Google was even 'open', let alone more or less open than Apple?

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
See, I never said Apple isn't "as good" a choice as Android. It might be. In fact, it may be - and is - a better choice for some. But it's a terrible choice for me. Whether iOS is "good" is a matter of personal opinion, and I don't have a bone to pick with yours. I can't tell you if iOS is "as good" a choice. I can tell you, objectively:
  • that there are far less variety of devices to choose from on iOS than on Android.
  • that Android delivers a far broader range of price choice in devices.
  • that Android has some capabilities iOS doesn't: home screen widgets, the ability to replace default apps, and any-app sharing.
  • that Android supports hardware features such as NFC and wireless charging that iOS has yet to.
  • that there are others.
That isn't to say iOS has no advantages of Android. One thing that comes rushing to mind is the iPhone camera that has far less shutter lag than even some of the best Android phone cameras out there.

But I don't own a phone for the purpose of the camera (not that others couldn't do that), and for me, iOS is not nearly as good a choice as Android.

Except, again, I never called Apple "evil."

That is what you keep saying. But you keep writing posts about how Google uses its users as beta testers while Apple doesn't, and how features Android supports but Apple doesn't are of no consequence.

That's nice, but no one here elected me to speak for them, so when you're talking to me, you're talking only to me.

Google started being "less open" before it acquired Motorola, and yes, the trend has continued. But what does that have to do with this discussion? When did I say Google was even 'open', let alone more or less open than Apple?

You are far more neutral then the others.

gene1138

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I used to think iPhones looked cute. But now when I look at the screen it looks so claustrophobic and cheesy.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Exactly. Work gave me a 5s and coming from an s4 and now a nexus 5, the iPhone seems so tiny. I feel like a giant holding the phone and I don't even have big hands. Claustrophobic is exactly how I describe the screen. I feel like like I'm viewing web pages through a slit.

What I really miss on the iPhone is being able to customize my keyboard and having an LED for notifications. Using Swype and Light Flow have been indispensable for me.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. Work gave me a 5s and coming from an s4 and now a nexus 5, the iPhone seems so tiny. I feel like a giant holding the phone and I don't even have big hands. Claustrophobic is exactly how I describe the screen. I feel like like I'm viewing web pages through a slit.

What I really miss on the iPhone is being able to customize my keyboard and having an LED for notifications. Using Swype and Light Flow have been indispensable for me.

Oh that's what I was going to say, you can get all those features with apps. I'm glad I don't have to use an iPhone! ;)

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Oh that's what I was going to say, you can get all those features with apps. I'm glad I don't have to use an iPhone! ;)

To be honest, customisation was never an iphones or iOS in generals strength. I would love if they allowed default apps and replacement apps and I think it's likely soon.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, customisation was never an iphones or iOS in generals strength. I would love if they allowed default apps and replacement apps and I think it's likely soon.

I hope so. They need an app drawer too. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felisovci