News This is the biggest problem facing Chinese phone brands

tenexe

Dec 18, 2023
Visit site
Chinese phone manufacturers make some of the best hardware you can buy, but they lack Samsung's cachet.

This is the biggest problem facing Chinese phone brands : Read more
You in fact missed 90% of the reasons people don't pick these devices so let me clarify all the things you failed to mention that in fact are quite important.

The first is there are real concerns about Chinese Technology products collecting information and spying on us. That is actually a valid concern you fail to even recognize. You can certainly dismiss it as not important to you but if you are trying to be objective failing to mention this is undermines your credibility.
Chinese phone manufacturers make some of the best hardware you can buy, but they lack Samsung's cachet.

This is the biggest problem facing Chinese phone brands : Read more
You actually failed to mention any of the biggest reasons but rather the ones you choose to endorse.

The biggest reason in the USA is because there are serious and valid concerns about Chinese companies collecting data and spying on us through their technology. A valid concern whether you mention it or not and if you want to be taken seriously you can't pick and choose.

The other big reason is because none of the carriers actually carry these phones. Most people get phones where they pay them off over time and trade them up. If this phone isn't available through that means it loses business. Has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Samsung's Cachet just availability. Not everyone can just drop 1600.00 for a new phone from their wallet at one time. Another issue you fail to mention.

It also doesn't come down to customer perception it comes down to Marketing. Again, you fail to assign any blame to the phone manufacturer you choose to support. People are essentially not that bright. If you think they have informed perceptions around anything you are delusional. People's perceptions in this day and age are based on what they are told to believe.

I've never even heard of these phones until recently. That's not Samsung's problem that's Xiaomi's problem. They fail in the area of marketing. Plain and simple. You do a great job of trying to deflect blame to the people showing yourself a true biased fanboy of the brand.

Then you go on about the foldables and mention another brand. Of course you go back to comparing to Samsung. It sounds like you have an issue with Samsung because the company you favor failed to market their devices or make them available in a competitive market. Again that's not an issue that has anything to do with Samsung.

I just bought the Galaxy S23 Ultra. It will likely be the last Samsung phone or product I will ever purchase. Not because the phone isn't made well, it's OK, I wouldn't go much higher than that. The sound of the speakerphone is horrible. It's difficult to hear well overall. In fact I think as far as sound quality the Apple products blow Samsung away.

What I will say however is that Samsung has by far the worse customer service I have ever seen in my entire life. Bar NONE. I have never seen a company so utterly disrespectful towards their customers.

Again this is because they essentially have a monopoly on the android market. I looked at the plus one but didn't have the money to shell out nor is it a device available through my provider.

I would also point out you make a lot of claims but back up none of them with data. You say it edges the Samsung phone in many areas. Ok if you are comparing 20 specs and it beats Samsung in 5 of them you can say "many areas" but that would hardly give it the standing as the better device.

You also start with the camera comparison. If I want a camera I'll buy a camera. The first thing the phone needs to be able to do is make calls.

I went to the website. It's essentially a camera that makes phone calls. I would also point out if they added an imbedded stylus they might be a real contender for those that use them.

You also fail to speak to the UI and how well it can be customized. You simply push a very vague narrative that it's better and people don't recognize it's better because they buy into

Essentially I wouldn't discount this device as a quality phone and I might be using one right now If they were offered through my carrier but I couldn't afford the price tag in one payment so I had few options. Just like 99% of the rest of the planet.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
You in fact missed 90% of the reasons people don't pick these devices so let me clarify all the things you failed to mention that in fact are quite important.

The first is there are real concerns about Chinese Technology products collecting information and spying on us. That is actually a valid concern you fail to even recognize. You can certainly dismiss it as not important to you but if you are trying to be objective failing to mention this is undermines your credibility.

You actually failed to mention any of the biggest reasons but rather the ones you choose to endorse.

The biggest reason in the USA is because there are serious and valid concerns about Chinese companies collecting data and spying on us through their technology. A valid concern whether you mention it or not and if you want to be taken seriously you can't pick and choose.

The other big reason is because none of the carriers actually carry these phones. Most people get phones where they pay them off over time and trade them up. If this phone isn't available through that means it loses business. Has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Samsung's Cachet just availability. Not everyone can just drop 1600.00 for a new phone from their wallet at one time. Another issue you fail to mention.

It also doesn't come down to customer perception it comes down to Marketing. Again, you fail to assign any blame to the phone manufacturer you choose to support. People are essentially not that bright. If you think they have informed perceptions around anything you are delusional. People's perceptions in this day and age are based on what they are told to believe.

I've never even heard of these phones until recently. That's not Samsung's problem that's Xiaomi's problem. They fail in the area of marketing. Plain and simple. You do a great job of trying to deflect blame to the people showing yourself a true biased fanboy of the brand.

Then you go on about the foldables and mention another brand. Of course you go back to comparing to Samsung. It sounds like you have an issue with Samsung because the company you favor failed to market their devices or make them available in a competitive market. Again that's not an issue that has anything to do with Samsung.

I just bought the Galaxy S23 Ultra. It will likely be the last Samsung phone or product I will ever purchase. Not because the phone isn't made well, it's OK, I wouldn't go much higher than that. The sound of the speakerphone is horrible. It's difficult to hear well overall. In fact I think as far as sound quality the Apple products blow Samsung away.

What I will say however is that Samsung has by far the worse customer service I have ever seen in my entire life. Bar NONE. I have never seen a company so utterly disrespectful towards their customers.

Again this is because they essentially have a monopoly on the android market. I looked at the plus one but didn't have the money to shell out nor is it a device available through my provider.

I would also point out you make a lot of claims but back up none of them with data. You say it edges the Samsung phone in many areas. Ok if you are comparing 20 specs and it beats Samsung in 5 of them you can say "many areas" but that would hardly give it the standing as the better device.

You also start with the camera comparison. If I want a camera I'll buy a camera. The first thing the phone needs to be able to do is make calls.

I went to the website. It's essentially a camera that makes phone calls. I would also point out if they added an imbedded stylus they might be a real contender for those that use them.

You also fail to speak to the UI and how well it can be customized. You simply push a very vague narrative that it's better and people don't recognize it's better because they buy into

Essentially I wouldn't discount this device as a quality phone and I might be using one right now If they were offered through my carrier but I couldn't afford the price tag in one payment so I had few options. Just like 99% of the rest of the planet.
You mad, bro?

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

The Spyware situation certainly can't be ignored, but I think your other points are more valid. Chinese brands have no presence in the US, and that's solely on them. Have they made any effort to get a 30-second spot during the Super Bowl? Have they made any effort to get into a T-Mobile store? Do they offer local support for their products via Assurion?

No. The Chinese brands have chosen to be irrelevant here, often limiting their products to the domestic market; where they have more control over perception and discourse about their products. Fishy.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

The biggest reason in the USA is because...

...Just like 99% of the rest of the planet.

I think you failed to realize that the article was written from a European/Asian perspective. Not one thing in it has anything to do with the US.

Yes, Huawei is outright banned in the US. Yes, Xiaomi chose to not market/sell in the US.

No, the USA is NOT like 99% of the rest of the planet when it comes to mobile phones. The US is pretty much the only country where carriers are the largest sellers of mobile phones. Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T outsold all other retail outlets last year. Canada may sell a lot though carriers too, but I don't know much about that.

I know I only buy though AT&T. I wouldn't buy a fully Chinese produced phone. But that's just me, and I certainly don't project my feelings into thinking "that's how everyone else must feel too".

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I think you failed to realize that the article was written from a European/Asian perspective. Not one thing in it has anything to do with the US.

Yes, Huawei is outright banned in the US. Yes, Xiaomi chose to not market/sell in the US.

No, the USA is NOT like 99% of the rest of the planet when it comes to mobile phones. The US is pretty much the only country where carriers are the largest sellers of mobile phones. Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T outsold all other retail outlets last year. Canada may sell a lot though carriers too, but I don't know much about that.

I know I only buy though AT&T. I wouldn't buy a fully Chinese produced phone. But that's just me, and I certainly don't project my feelings into thinking "that's how everyone else must feel too".
After reading your comment, I noticed the author covers Asia. Which makes the topic even more interesting: Samsung has the best reputation in Asia, despite the fact that Chinese phones aren't as limited as they are in the US. That speaks volumes.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
After reading your comment, I noticed the author covers Asia. Which makes the topic even more interesting: Samsung has the best reputation in Asia, despite the fact that Chinese phones aren't as limited as they are in the US. That speaks volumes.
And the fact that Chinese phones are much bigger sellers overall (outside of the US). Yet Samsung still has that reputation.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
One Plus is available in the US and the flagships are very good but I don't like the direction they are going because of Oppo.

Another thing for US the Chinese phones don't carry much trade in compared to Apple/Samsung, don't know how their trade-in worth in other parts of the country I'm assuming not good but someone can correct me on that.

Reactions: Laura Knotek