three months in, any slowdown on your S8/S8+?

iFortWorth

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So the new Galaxy device's have been out now for about three months. I'm currently on a nearly two-year-old Nexus 6p and will be upgrading in a couple of months.

I've had, I believe, two previous Galaxy devices and both seemed to have had the dreaded Galaxy slow down after a few months. Where that after close to a year it was almost unbearable. While it's certainly too early to tell how the S8 series will hold up 12 months out, how's it doing three months in? And I'm not talking about casual usage. I mean, for the tech geek, who is almost always using the device during the day, for something.

I'm not planning on the Galaxy, but probably the Note 8, but how the Galaxy is doing after a few months will at least give me an indication of how the Note might do. At least the Note will, by all accounts get 6GB of ram, which is more than the Galaxy and obviously more than the Nexus.

I'd ideally probably wait for the Pixel 2, but with it being Verizon only, I'd rather not shell out almost $1000 upfront. Plus, I've found out that ATT doesn't enable wifi calling on (their) unsupported devices.

Thanks

thoughtjunky

Jun 27, 2017
Visit site
My S8+ started to get slow when I went over 90% storage capacity. After backing up and removing most of my media and clearing the nearly 6GB of system cache, it's been like new again.

hydrofarmer

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
My S8+ started to get slow when I went over 90% storage capacity. After backing up and removing most of my media and clearing the nearly 6GB of system cache, it's been like new again.
Ditto. I keep the cache clean and make sure the phone isn't overly full. No problems here. Very very happy with purchase. Coming from note 1,2,3 and 4.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I have had mine since April 19th mine is not slowing down however it did randomly restart itself twice in the past I'd say three weeks

iFortWorth

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks actually for planting that bug. I just looked at my system cache and available storage on my Nexus. Was able to free up about 4 GB myself. Already seems a bit snappier.

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Mine's a lean, mean Mobile machine! I've burned through almost 30GB of mobile data since Apr 21, plus usage on WiFi. Between work, play and Mod stuff ( I'm a CB Moderator) my S8+ is in my hands much of the day. I am running Nova, which I think runs a bit lighter on resources than TW, and I use the BlackBerry Hub, which saves me bouncing in and out of a number of apps for email, messaging, LinkedIn, Slack, etc.

This is my first Sammy, and I'm impressed.

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How do you clear the system cache on the s8??

The built in Device Maintenance utility. Though I've mostly left that alone. Android OS has gotten a lot better at handling resources. Clearing the cache all the time forces apps to re-download items to function, taking more resources at the time you open the app after cleaning. I just let the OS take care of itself, and enjoy my device.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
With Samsung phones I have never found the number of GB to be a predictor of smoothness.

That having been said, I have found the S8+ to be quick and responsive in all aspects.