Thunderbolt: Apps that are safe to remove once rooted (and how to put them back!)

Realestatepro

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Can't get Root Explorer to mounts as R/W..Any ideas?

Im having this same issue... Deleted Root Explorer Reinstalled but still having the issue... an i def checked an am rooted any ideas?

if i press mount as R/W when i first start the app it lets me but then when i select system it goes back to not being mounted. weird

anon(220176)

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
For the "GMail" app, is it SAFE to remove this if I am using HTC Mail app instead?

When I first setup my TB, I had to login using my Google account. In the Settings -> Account, I UNCHECKED "mail". I then setup the HTC Mail to use the same Google account JUST TO CHECK MAIL. Right now, the Gmail app is NOT checking mail, only the HTC Mail app.

So if I remove the GMail app, is it going to cause problem? I have been monitoring my TB and GMail app is ALWAYS started as background app even though I am not using it for mail.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
For the "GMail" app, is it SAFE to remove this if I am using HTC Mail app instead?

When I first setup my TB, I had to login using my Google account. In the Settings -> Account, I UNCHECKED "mail". I then setup the HTC Mail to use the same Google account JUST TO CHECK MAIL. Right now, the Gmail app is NOT checking mail, only the HTC Mail app.

So if I remove the GMail app, is it going to cause problem? I have been monitoring my TB and GMail app is ALWAYS started as background app even though I am not using it for mail.

I've removed gmail on all the ROMs I've had with no issues. I do have a backup gmail.apk on my sd card in case I need to put it back.

notmebug

Banned
Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
If handcent is installed, is it safe to remove the Messages app? Or does handcent require it to function?

I've been experimenting with this, it seems that whenever I removed the Messages app I can no longer receive or send MMS pictures in handcent. After copying the Messages app back to system/app I can send/receive pictures again.

Try moving it and let me know how it goes.

anon(220176)

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
There are a few apps that I WANT TO REMOVE, but I am afraid to do so because I THINK it's integrated to the OS (I am using Stock - rooted):

- Connected Media: integrated with Media player?
- Desk Clock: Integrated with clock?
- Mobile HotSpot: integrated with ..whatever internal Android OS?
- Search People: tied with the "People" app, which I use?
- Setup: not sure..

So does anyone know if it's OK to remove any of the above?

br10der1

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Megaupload

There is also one file in /etc/permissions and two files in /system/framework that are related to Blockbuster. That said, I'm a little surprised it is still showing up in your app drawer if you removed the apk. Did you go back and verify that it was moved and not copied? I've done that by accident before.

Melch: that option is greyed out :/

Don't worry, I'm uploading it to megaupload.

I said not to, only because people reported doing so on the EVO and having their phones screw up afterwards. If true, it might be that the Contacts apparently has a dependency on Friendstream and removing it makes it go bizzerk. If someone (not going to be me :p) tries it and without problems, let us know.

Can you please tell me where can I locate the megaupload for the stock app files? I need a copy of them also. TY

DJBeanPole

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know the steps for installing friendstream through ADB? When I rooted I moved the apk and odex to sdcard but now it says it can't install? Need it for Facebook via HTC

Last edited:

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Still cant get root explorer to mount as R/W :( Any ideas as to what im doing wrong? would love to remove all this bloat wear!

First dumb question- Have you verified root?
Second- In SU does it show Root Explorer (aka RE)?
Third- If above are yes then have SU forget RE and clear data/cache for RU in the "Manage Applications" menu
Fourth- If this doesn't work try uninstalling and reinstalling RE and have SU forget RE.

Realestatepro

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
First dumb question- Have you verified root?
Second- In SU does it show Root Explorer (aka RE)?
Third- If above are yes then have SU forget RE and clear data/cache for RU in the "Manage Applications" menu
Fourth- If this doesn't work try uninstalling and reinstalling RE and have SU forget RE.

Yes i did verify and i am rooted... Also i tryed everything you said including deleting and reinstalling and still nothing... :confused:

JonnyNov

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I moved friendstream apk/opex to my sd, when i moved them back to the app folder and tried to install it, it says application not installed. I set the permissions to rw-r--r, not sure what else i can do. Thanks

GHGlaser

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Bingo!

CityID can be removed manually. Directions here. For blockbuster, go into Manage Applications and make sure it isn't under Running or All. If so open it and choose uninstall. Ignore the error and reboot.

I never did get an error message or need to reboot, but by your idea of going to the Manage Applications section under Settings, I was able to find an instance of Vcast under the Running tab.

After I cleared its data and stopped it from running, I used Root Explorer to move the Newbaywhatever file to the SD card, then went back to the applications screen and it was gone! :D

Smittyn804

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I recently just moved all of the bloatware on my phone just as the list says. I went into the market and installed the "forever alone" widget. After install I went into personalize> widget> and selected the widget. Upon doing so I get an error: HTC sense (process com.htc. launcher) has stopped. I am wondering if this is normal with removing files or is there a fix?

Decided to go to manage applications> htc sense>clear data my phone is now stuck in "loading please wait this will take a couple minutes" Please someone help I have done battery pulls and screen still comes up. There isnt much I can access while this is going on.

UPDATE:
So after checking so forums I found some info similar to my problem. I did a voice search (one of the only things I could access) for "rom manager" which I had installed before and opened in in "app market" then opened the program from there. At that point I downloaded a ROM. Specifically I downloaded das BAMF 1.6 Remix. After it downloaded I was prompted to either wipe davlik cache, cache or backup current. I backed up the current though I was having trouble. When that was complete the ROM loaded. Everything seems fine there are some things in there aside from some of the extra stuff I dont care for. Im very happy I am running again but have a few questions.
* now that I am ok should I do a backup?
* If I want to switch this ROM can I just pick another and install over it?
* I backed up sense when it was stuck in the loading phase will this affect it if I want to go back? What should I do with it?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Im happy I didnt get bricked or have to resort to trying to turn my phone in. All in in all it was a good learning experience aside from being scared to death for a couple hours when I had to be at work in 4 hours. i hope my experience helps anyone who had or has similar problems. Im happy to answer any questions wether just curious or looking to help me out. Thanks to all at AC!

Last edited:
May 7, 2011
Visit site
Help! Please?

I rooted my TBolt earlier this week and now I just followed your instructions about moving the bloat apps to my sdcard. All went well except for the part where I couldn't leave well enough alone. So I read further about how to put back apps and resetting the permissions. I tried it with Slacker and it seemed to worked but I couldn't see it in the app list. So I read further and found your suggestion to clear the data of the HTC Sense app. My thinking was that I had to do that in order to get Slacker to appear again. WRONG!

Well I cleared the HTC Sense data and now all I get after many battery removals, reboots, etc. is the following after I unlock the screen.

"Loading...
It may take several minutes to complete, please wait."

It's been doing this for an hour and I don;t know what to do.

The phone seems to be functioning because I can receive calls and msgs. But I cannot launch anything.

Any advice....?

THanks in advance...
KO

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my TBolt earlier this week and now I just followed your instructions about moving the bloat apps to my sdcard. All went well except for the part where I couldn't leave well enough alone. So I read further about how to put back apps and resetting the permissions. I tried it with Slacker and it seemed to worked but I couldn't see it in the app list. So I read further and found your suggestion to clear the data of the HTC Sense app. My thinking was that I had to do that in order to get Slacker to appear again. WRONG!

Well I cleared the HTC Sense data and now all I get after many battery removals, reboots, etc. is the following after I unlock the screen.

"Loading...

It's been doing this for an hour and I don;t know what to do.

The phone seems to be functioning because I can receive calls and msgs. But I cannot launch anything.

Any advice....?

THanks in advance...
KO

Btw, I had done a full backup prior using TiBU. I also have Rom Manager installed that I used for the root process.

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Btw, I had done a full backup prior using TiBU. I also have Rom Manager installed that I used for the root process.

Me again.. can you tell i'm in panic mode....

I think I need to get into Recovery Mode using the pwr+vol dwn but everytime I see the boot menu, it just starts loading the PG05img.zip and then asks if I want to update. I've chosen no, and keep tryiing but it won.t let me select from the HBoot menu.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Me again.. can you tell i'm in panic mode....

I think I need to get into Recovery Mode using the pwr+vol dwn but everytime I see the boot menu, it just starts loading the PG05img.zip and then asks if I want to update. I've chosen no, and keep tryiing but it won.t let me select from the HBoot menu.

If you haven't figured it out then yet then you need to open your sd card with your computer by using a card reader and delete the PG05img.zip. That file should always be deleted after rooting due to this very issue.

Reactions: KaptainObvious
May 7, 2011
Visit site
If you haven't figured it out then yet then you need to open your sd card with your computer by using a card reader and delete the PG05img.zip. That file should always be deleted after rooting due to this very issue.

Thanks Forgetful. I did figure it out by removing the .zip. Can you help me out further with my original problem of being stuck on the home screen with "Loading...

This happened after I cleared the HTC Sense data via manage applications.

Or should I just reroot the phone again and start over? If I do that is rerooting easy since I already did it once?