Thunderbolt: Apps that are safe to remove once rooted (and how to put them back!)

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Forgetful. I did figure it out by removing the .zip. Can you help me out further with my original problem of being stuck on the home screen with "Loading...
It may take several minutes to complete, please wait."

This happened after I cleared the HTC Sense data via manage applications.

Or should I just reroot the phone again and start over? If I do that is rerooting easy since I already did it once?

Good news, my ass has been saved! I got lucky and one of my Market apps prompted for an update which took me to the Market. From there I brought up "My Apps" and was able to open my Titanium Backup and restore all system data from before I did the clear data on HTC Sense. Then as precaution before power cycling, I installed a free app called Startup Manager which allowed me to force the Market to open on startup as well as Root Explorer, and TiBU just in case the problem was not solved.

Wow, this was nerve racking but was an excellent learning experience all in all.

Thanks again ForgetFul for your post. :)

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Forgetful. I did figure it out by removing the .zip. Can you help me out further with my original problem of being stuck on the home screen with "Loading...

This happened after I cleared the HTC Sense data via manage applications.

Or should I just reroot the phone again and start over? If I do that is rerooting easy since I already did it once?

can you just restore a nandroid backup via CWR? It sounds like you removed something essential. Or maybe just flash a ROM like das bamf or perfect storm.

DerekC28

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Newbie question here, but I have rooted my TBolt also and installed Titanium Backup. I then used that to do a full backup of apps and data under batches, next still in TI Backup, I selected the VZ apps one by one that I didn't want and in TI Backup i hit UNINSTALL. Does this accomplish the same thing? The icons for them are definitely gone and no longer show on my home pages.
By the way I did read through all 23 pages of this thread before posting this, hahah

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Newbie question here, but I have rooted my TBolt also and installed Titanium Backup. I then used that to do a full backup of apps and data under batches, next still in TI Backup, I selected the VZ apps one by one that I didn't want and in TI Backup i hit UNINSTALL. Does this accomplish the same thing? The icons for them are definitely gone and no longer show on my home pages.
By the way I did read through all 23 pages of this thread before posting this, hahah

If it works and nothing seems to be broken, then great. I decided to freeze the apps instead using Ti. This way if something goes wrong I can always defrost them.

good luck..

joec6512

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I put the htclockscreen.apk and .odex on my SD card to get the vanilla lockscreen but now when I put the files back in the system\app folder it wont let me reinstall the HTC lockscreen. I changed the permissions and I even cleared the data for sense in manage applications. Am I missing some simple step?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
No, I would just create a folder on your SD card called "Bloatware" or something like that and then move them over.
Cory... using Super Manager, You cant just select the apps and then move them, after you select them all you need to "cut" and then "paste" them into the created folder... At least that is how I had to do it... i was unable to just select and move them using the clipboard button.. am I doing something wrong? Also, I first tried with the Blockbuster app, but it is still in my app drawer... I really want the bloat off my phone... should I just delete it?

JackoG

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your help, Cory....I removed most of the apps in your "safe to remove" list using your procedure. Weird that I relocated all of them to a separate folder as you suggested..even VZ Navigator...but for some reason that particular app remains as a working app...any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks!

Prewittd13

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Help

I rooted my TBolt earlier this week and now I just followed your instructions about moving the bloat apps to my sdcard. All went well except for the part where I couldn't leave well enough alone. So I read further about how to put back apps and resetting the permissions. I tried it with Slacker and it seemed to worked but I couldn't see it in the app list. So I read further and found your suggestion to clear the data of the HTC Sense app. My thinking was that I had to do that in order to get Slacker to appear again. WRONG!

Well I cleared the HTC Sense data and now all I get after many battery removals, reboots, etc. is the following after I unlock the screen.

"Loading...

It's been doing this for an hour and I don;t know what to do.

The phone seems to be functioning because I can receive calls and msgs. But I cannot launch anything.

Any advice....?

THanks in advance...
KO

I am having this exact problem now, but mine has been going on for days... i have not been lucky and nothing has updated for me.. I thought of trying to unroot it, but i can't even access debug to do this.. my phone is just stuck in this loading phase, if anyone has any advice i would appreciate it thank you.

I have tried the recovery process, and even restoring factory defaults, but of course that doesnt work when it is rooted...

Last edited:
Reactions: quatto

Prewittd13

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Fixed

Problem fixed, it just loaded for almost a day and finally quit trying to load where i could just press menu get to the debug option, and unroot the phone for now. Thanks though

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Again Thanks for the info with get rid of or moving the bloatware…my only issue is that the Voice Mail app Icon is still in All apps draw…it's not in the apps folder either. when you press the icon it opens the Messages app.

Anyone have any ideas on this…? should I just move the Messages app also…? I'm using GO SMS Pro as my messaging app so there's no need to use the other…?

dms76

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
So I rooted my phone and was removing items. I cleared the sense cache and now it just says "Loading.... It may take several minutes to complete, please wait."

I mounted the system partition and used adb to move bloatware to a new directory called app.disabled.

Here is what i removed, does anyone spot an obvious cause?
AppSharing*
Blockbuster*
CityID*
com.htc.FMRadioWidget*
com.htc.StockWidget*
com.htc.FriendStreamWidget*
com.htc.TwitterWidget*
com.htc.MusicWidget*
Flickr*
GoogleQuickSearchBox*
HtcScreenBrightnessWidget*
HtcSyncwidget*
HtcDataStripWidget*
htcmsgwidgets*
HtcCalculatorWidget*
HtcAutoRotateWidget*
HtcAddProgramWidget*
HTMLViewer*
HtcPowerStripWidget*
HtcLocationPicker*
htcbookmarkwidget*
htcmailwidgets*
htccontactwidgets*
HtcFootprintsWidget*
HtcFootprints*
HtcTwitter*
HtcTipWidget*
HtcGreader*
HtcSoundRecorder*
HtcFMRadio*
HtcCarPanel*
HtcProfileWidget*
HtcRingtoneWidget*
HtcStreamPlayer*
HtcPhotoWidget*
HtcMimWidget*
Kindle*
MagicSmokeWallpapers*
Quickoffice*
QuickLookup*
SlackerRadio*
TuneWiki*
WifiRouter*
VCast*
VZW_Golf*
VZW_BitBop*
VZW_Rhapsody*
VZW_RockbandStub*
VzNav*

Thanks!!

UPDATE:
Don't think I was suppose to remote HtcAddProgramWidget*

Last edited:

musculature

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Thunderbolt: Apps that are safe to remove once rooted (and ho

Again Thanks for the info with get rid of or moving the bloatware?my only issue is that the Voice Mail app Icon is still in All apps draw?it's not in the apps folder either. when you press the icon it opens the Messages app.

Anyone have any ideas on this?? should I just move the Messages app also?? I'm using GO SMS Pro as my messaging app so there's no need to use the other??
I am also having trouble removing VVM from the app drawer. I attached a screenshot of a search for VVM via root explorer. :mad:

Attachments

• snap20110704_190755.png
    snap20110704_190755.png
    88.9 KB · Views: 47
  • snap20110704_190817.png
    snap20110704_190817.png
    133.3 KB · Views: 46

Qage

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Wont work

Before I followed your steps I uninstall the Bloatware using Titanium backup but then the icons are still there in the apps and when I follow your steps and look into the folders I don't see the bloatware apps there. But at the same time the icons are still there in my app page. When I click the app it says "The linked program is no longer installed on your phone"

Any other way I can get rid of or do you know a way that I can remove the icons.

Qage

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site

Pic below of what I mean VZW_Golf is not there and there is the message I get when I open a app I uninstalled.. if its not there.. why is the icon there.

Again would greatly like to know how to fix this.:)

Attachments

• snap20110706_111510.png
    snap20110706_111510.png
    173.8 KB · Views: 47
  • snap20110706_111658.png
    snap20110706_111658.png
    222.5 KB · Views: 40

skywalker98

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Hi..I am new to the thunderbolt and downloaded super manager and when i got to the part to check
enable root function i checked the box and a window opened up and said "The root function in this program is not support your device or system image!"
any help?
Dave

dethanb

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

G'Day to you all... I've done a few searches on this subject so if it has been answered, please direct me to the appropriate location.

I've removed "a lot" of files from the original ROM to make my life on this phone much more pleasant. Unfurtunately, I haven't removed all of the Widgets I'd like to remove as I get errors in my Widget Listings.

So, the question is: Is there a file I can edit that will allow me to remove the records from the Widget Listings so I can remove the widgets and not have the errors in the various listing areas?

(Does that make sense)?

Thank you,
~ David