Time to update your Verizon Privacy Preferences - AGAIN

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I was looking over my account on my computer and noticed a new thing to check - "Relevant Mobile Advertising Program Enhancement"
From that page:
"We're enhancing our Relevant Mobile Advertising program in a way that can help marketers reach you with messages that may be more interesting to you....
In addition to the customer information that's currently part of the program, we will soon use an anonymous, unique identifier we create when you register on our websites. This identifier may allow an advertiser to use information they have about your visits to websites from your desktop computer to deliver marketing messages to mobile devices on our network."

You have to go into your Verizon privacy settings and "Opt Out" - the default is "Opt In"

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Mine was defaulted no, but good to know anyway. I wonder if the default is related to your other privacy settings.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I was surprised after checking to find all of my privacy settings set to "NO". Thanks for the heads up OP.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Any idea if this is related to this new... "rewards" thing they're doing?

I noticed a little thing saying I have XXXX amount of points if I opt-in to some other ad-based program they were doing.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Any idea if this is related to this new... "rewards" thing they're doing?

I noticed a little thing saying I have XXXX amount of points if I opt-in to some other ad-based program they were doing.

No idea. I have not heard or read about that one.

Posted from my XT1080M

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Saw this too when paying my bill this week. It was prominently displayed in the upper right under "Notices". Was already opted out (everything set to "No).

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
No idea. I have not heard or read about that one.

Posted from my XT1080M

It's only in select states at the moment. I'm in IL, but I have a few lines for people in OH, so I guess that "qualified" me.

Official title is "Verizon Smart Rewards" and appears to be a rewards program to redeem for various items (travel, gift cards, etc). Not sure how the points are accumulated but to register, you do have to opt in to targeted ads and whatnot.

Supposedly I have 15,000 pts available, but yeah, doubt it's worth them sharing my info with third parties.