To those who've been using it for awhile, whats the verdict?

bob13bob

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
i want to get an opinion not formed over 24 hours eg youtube reviews)

How does it compare to your old devices? Positive and negative aspects? What could be improved upon?

from what I can read from here, samsung could have done better QC on early units WIFI chips.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
S6 is a great device, I mainly bought it for the camera, here's some pros and cons from my perspective.

Pros - screen, camera, quick charge.

Cons- touchwizz, battery optimization, external speaker, (lollipop ROM leakage)

Touchwizz frustration can be solved with Nova Launcher but its still a little flaky, and there are a lot of tweaks you can do to make the most of your battery, but at the end of the day it would of been nice if Samsung spent more time optimizing the battery.

Things I miss from my HTC M7, the aluminum design/build , Sense and external speakers.

dreaming of electric sheep

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Btw - I initially had issues with the WiFi with initial setup but after resetting my modem and rebooting my phone a few times the WiFi has been fast and reliable.

dreaming of electric sheep

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
S6 is really top notch. Better than my note 4 except for battery life. Wifi drain idle is a bit high, 1 to 2% per hour for me. But other than that works fine.

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
My phone rocks. I have better battery life than my m8 and that had also great battery life. Touchwiz has drastically improved and is about as fast as Sense from HTC. The flipboard app is not as good as HTC's blinkfeed but it can be removed if you don't use it like I do. The alarm clock sucks, but can be replaced.

With little to no issues and a new update coming shortly, this has been almost a flawless phone for me. Apps and games work well, and the screen and camera are by far the best. It can't hurt to get one and take it for a test drive.

Posted via the Android Central App

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Love my S6.
TW is fast and smooth.
Only con is the speakers is not as loud as I like and gets distorted at highest level.

Posted via Android Central App

FuzzyB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
No complaints here. In fact I don't have a single bad thing to say about it and I've had it since launch.

I am not a TW fan so once I installed Nova and set everything up the way I like it's been nothing short of an incredible experience... Yes that includes battery life.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Camera and screen are excellent.

Battery life is sub-par.

And I have to say, my S6 has been slowing down/slow to switch apps. I have to reset the device every day or two to keep it speedy. I think this is mainly a Lollipop issue as that's what happened to my Moto X on 5.0. The slowdown can also be chalked up to this Samsung RAM issue we hear about.

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
i want to get an opinion not formed over 24 hours eg youtube reviews)

How does it compare to your old devices? Positive and negative aspects? What could be improved upon?

from what I can read from here, samsung could have done better QC on early units WIFI chips.

Happy, love the edge. With a launcher change you can make it nice but touch wiz still rears its head every once in a while. Best camera period.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded from the GS4 and have had my AT&T 64GB GS6 black sapphire since launch. It is by far the best smartphone that I have ever owned. It is extremely fast and smooth with no noticeable lag. It seemed to have improved a bit after the recent AT&T OTA update.

Battery life not an issue for me. Love having rapid charging as well as dual wireless charging built in and available from the jump.

Love the display with its parallax effect that makes certain wall papers seem like they float behind icons that are so vivid that they look painted on. It is very bright even in sunlight although auto brightness in really harsh sunlight.

Camera is pretty awesome. Looking forward to using it more and having Samsung Pay later this summer with tap n go as well as MST.

TouchWiz is way improved missing the lag from previous iterations. Don't use the external,speaker all that much as headphones are used when listening to music.

Disabled the Briefing tab as well as some of the bloat. Loved having the option of being to download some of the preloaded features instead of having them on already.

Don't miss the sd card either. 50 GB free. Don't mind the recent apps button on the left and the back button on the right. Menu button gone but no big deal.

Love the multi-tasking versus the task switching on its competiton.

On the other hand, wish TouchWiz were a bit more optimized and streamlined. Use it a week before getting a third party homescreen launcher. Considering a third party homescreen launcher for customizability as the themes are bit sparse in terms of selection.

Love the device thinness but could have been a bit thicker to are the camera hump flush with the chassis which the premium materials feel great and solid.

Wish the external speaker had a mate on the other side.

Hopefully, camera improvements and some other fixes with Lollipop 5.1.1 will make the camera even better and alleviate some of the issues that seem to be affecting some but definitely not all.

Sorry for being so long. If you decide to get the GS6, you should be very happy although there are a lot of other great devices out there.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Love it, had it since launch and not a single regret. Much better than my previous nexus 5, it's a joy to use and very pleased with it's performance in general.

Tim Caldwell

May 13, 2015
Visit site
LOVE LOVE LOVE this phone ! I was on the fence for a couple of YEARS - living with my every-so-slow Razr Max HD. I got so tired of the slow response time of the phone that I finally made the switch to the S6. It is so fast compared to my outdated phone. Calls are crystal clear, WiFi is super fast, screen to screen scrolling is blazing fast. My only complaint is the slipperyness of the phone ... which I resolved by getting a protecting case.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Here's an anecdote about battery life that may or may not mean anything.

I have had three S6 units. The first was returned because they shipped me the 32gb instead of the 128gb I ordered. The second was returned because of splotches under the screen. The third is the one I'm using now.

The first unit was giving me 2.5 hours of SOT and 9 hours of total battery life according to GSAM. The second was 3 hours SOT and 9.5 hours of total battery life according to GSAM. I disabled location services and a bunch of Google and Samsung apps on the second unit and got an incremental improvement. In both instances, the one thing that really stuck out was the Wifi battery usage -- it was frequently higher than the battery used by the screen. If it was wasn't actually higher, it was close. Sometimes it was over 50% higher.

Then I got the third one. I decided to see if Facebook was the culprit behind the wifi killing the battery. Instead of logging into the app, I manually browsed to the web version on Chrome. The result was significant -- after a week, SOT was over 4 hours, and total battery was 13.5 hours. Screen was the biggest battery hog once again. On a couple of occasions, I had crazy numbers like 1.5 hours SOT with 85% battery left. Friggin' Facebook! All this time it was Facebook! And then, after a good week of using web only, I re-enabled it.

So it turns out Facebook did have an impact, but nothing earth shattering. I'm now down to 3:41 SOT, but oddly enough, my total battery life jumped up to 14:39. This is with location services enabled and set to accurate and no bloatware disabled. So what's the difference?

Taking into account this anecdotal evidence coupled with the fact that most of the terrible battery experiences are from the first wave of T-Mobile units, my conclusion is that the first batch had bad antennas. Bad enough to kill the battery in under 10 hours from standby alone. The second unit I had reported the Sony sensor. My current one does not, which indicates that it's of newer manufacture.

Considering battery life is literally the sole complaint with the S6 (well, once you wade past the "extSD and removable battery" comments) and a big chunk of this seems to be improved in the newer builds, the S6 has no real weaknesses (again, once you wade past the "extSD and removable battery" comments). There are plenty of people getting good battery life from the S6, and at this point probably more people getting good battery life than bad. Personally, my S6 is getting about the same, perhaps a skosh better battery life than my S5 did (I have Exchange active Sync enabled for work, and it's a real battery killer no matter what). I've had two occasions where I left the house all day away from an outlet, and although I did use an external battery pack to recharge in the middle, I could have made it back with battery to spare both times.

My verdict: the S6 is a superior device with an industry leading camera (for me, Auto HDR gives the S6 camera the edge over the G4). I wouldn't let the battery be the sticking point to your purchase.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
It's the best display you can get on a smartphone. It's the best camera you can get on a smartphone. The battery life isn't nearly as bad as some have made it out to be, but it's not world-beating, either. Being able to charge it anywhere and also extremely quickly makes a huge difference. The software is much cleaner and quicker than previous iterations, putting it on par with Sense (although we could argue the aesthetics; different strokes for different folks) and others. The double tap to open the camera and the fingerprint scanner make the home button a must-have instead of a why-is-it-there. The design, specifically the Edge, is on par or better than anything else out there.

Long story short, this is probably the best phone you can buy right now. There's really no other way to put it. Samsung did a fantastic job this year. Now we just need a S6 Edge GPE to round things out.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

jtb79

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I went from an iPhone 6 I used for several months, and loved, to a M9 when it was released. Liked the M9 but the sleekness of the iPhone spoiled me, plus Microsoft Office apps just never would work on the M9. Decided to return the M9 and go with the S6.

So far I haven't looked back. I love the form factor and the fingerprint sensor works great for me. Battery life is virtually the same as the iPhone and M9 was for me. I've yet to find a smart phone with good battery life but I get through most days not having to charge until 6 or so.

I miss I message but the Google services far outweigh the loss. The camera is awesome and so is the screen. I actually love the keyboard as well and have yet to install swift key or the like.

Lastly the phone is beautiful, cell service and call quality have both been excellent. I can see myself hanging onto this one a while.

boogalu

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I came from a galaxy s3 with 2 extra batteries and once I got my S6 I've been extremely happy with it. 128gb and I've gotten all my pictures and games on it and I still have about 100 gigs left. I seriously have no idea what problems people are having with the battery..I take it off the wireless charger at 730 in the morning and by 7 at night I still have 25% left. And that's going through builder games ( which I check every couple of hours) reading my books on my phone..texts and phone calla and general web surfing.

The 5 megapixel front camera is seriously amazing. I was at the house of blues for a show and taking selfies in low light and off lighting shocked me on how great the pictures came out. For mothers day my family wanted to keep using my s6 over my sisters iPhone 6 front camera because it just comes out so much better. And that rear camera?!? Love it.

I'd recommend this phone to anyone.

seungklee

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I've had my S6 for over a month now and I really like it. I promised myself I would never get any Samsung branded phones after my S3, but I found myself in their shoes once again. I've had s1, s3 and Nexus 5 prior to my S6. There is just no comparison to my previous phones. Camera, battery life, performance, and UI is all better on S6. The reason I chose S6 was for it's camera quality. It produces vibrant colors and just way better looking photos than iPhone 6's. As for the battery life, this will be dependent on person's uses, but I find my phone lasting about 18 hours on moderate use and almost 2 days for less moderate use. Just make sure you turn off VoLTE and WIFI searching for signals even when it's off. The feel is premium-like, for once it looks very good and nice without being all plasticky. You will not regret getting this phone! I have my phone under T-Mobile service. There is no lag on S6 whatsoever. Get it.

neiljay6

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Love it so far. Screen is amazing, my battery life is great, phone itself is just gorgeous. Just an all around solid phone. No complaints.

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
It's the best display you can get on a smartphone. It's the best camera you can get on a smartphone. The battery life isn't nearly as bad as some have made it out to be, but it's not world-beating, either. Being able to charge it anywhere and also extremely quickly makes a huge difference. The software is much cleaner and quicker than previous iterations, putting it on par with Sense (although we could argue the aesthetics; different strokes for different folks) and others. The double tap to open the camera and the fingerprint scanner make the home button a must-have instead of a why-is-it-there. The design, specifically the Edge, is on par or better than anything else out there.

Long story short, this is probably the best phone you can buy right now. There's really no other way to put it. Samsung did a fantastic job this year. Now we just need a S6 Edge GPE to round things out.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

I second this comment. I was really holding out for a G4 but when I held this in hand and felt the premium built it sparked my interest. Then I used the fingerprint scanner. Done. It just works. No more typing in a password like my job requires. It is a fantastic device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz