Too much hype...

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I don't know what all the hype is about this phone. At the end of the day it is simply another HTC Android device honestly, running 2.1. That's all. Does it look nice, sure but frankly some other devices not yet released look better than this device.

I think a lot of people are buying into this early hype. Unless Google is keeping something very major under wraps, this is a normal Android device.

Just my opinion.

Elysian893#AC

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I don't know what all the hype is about this phone. At the end of the day it is simply another HTC Android device honestly, running 2.1. That's all. Does it look nice, sure but frankly some other devices not yet released look better than this device.

I think a lot of people are buying into this early hype. Unless Google is keeping something very major under wraps, this is a normal Android device.

Just my opinion.
Agreed, and if it's unlocked, unsubsidized, it's gonna be expensive. Pass.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site

Just my opinion.

I couldn't agree with you more Jeremy, ESPECIALLY since we haven't even seen any specs on the device yet. After all, in the end, this isn't a TRUE "Google Phone". It's an HTC Phone minus Sense, which basically makes it a Google Experience phone.

And unless Google is going to use it's massive resources to take a loss per unit, the price of this device without a subsidy from a carrier such as T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, or AT&T is going to be in excess of $400.

Elysian893#AC

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I couldn't agree with you more Jeremy, ESPECIALLY since we haven't even seen any specs on the device yet. After all, in the end, this isn't a TRUE "Google Phone". It's an HTC Phone minus Sense, which basically makes it a Google Experience phone.

And unless Google is going to use it's massive resources to take a loss per unit, the price of this device without a subsidy from a carrier such as T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, or AT&T is going to be in excess of $400.

I predict 500-600, unsubsidized, if the Snapdragon rumors are correct.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
i also don't see the point of selling an unlocked, unsubsidized phone when it'll only work with one company's 3G network, are people that afraid of contracts?

i'm still putting my guess that it's just another dev phone for google.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
i also don't see the point of selling an unlocked, unsubsidized phone when it'll only work with one company's 3G network, are people that afraid of contracts?

i'm still putting my guess that it's just another dev phone for google.

Google is great at creating a good buzz. They know how to pull strings...

talltubatom

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
IF it were an Ip Only phone like early rummors had talked about I would jump on that in a heart beat, after the leak here it does not look to be that way.

kennyidaho

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
That hype seems to be coming from the fact that for some reason or another the mass media seems to think that this is the only phone running Android at this point. They have forgotten about the countless other devices.

At the end of the day this HTC "with Google" device will end up on T-Mobile and maybe eventually a CDMA version will come out.

kennyidaho

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Mass hysteria and this phone...

Seriously this phone is causing hysteria and making other wise smart people turn into raging idiots.

If this device hits one particular carrier. We already know that the phone is going to T-Mobile. It has T-Mobile 3G radios. We also know that the FCC has it branded as the "HTC Nexus One", not the "Google Nexus One". I am willing to bet that when it debutes on T-Mobile it will be sold as the "T-Mobile Nexus One with Google" just as the HTC Dream was sold as the "T-Mobile G1 with Google." It's also completely possible that T-Mobile will have another name for it all together maybe like G2 It's a guarantee that HTC will sell the device unlocked in Europe under their own brand. Just like they sell the HTC Dream (aka T-Mobile G1) unlocked in Europe.

It's also highly possible that a CDMA variant hits the market in a few months too.

HTC has worked very hard in the past few years in developing a brand opposed to just being the hidden OEM manufacture. Considering HTC's success with it's own brand I doubt they want to jump back into the OEM game. Especially considering that they are now working hard to position themselves as the premiere Android manufacturer.

Google could make a short term killing by branding this device as their own however T-Mobile is not really the best provider in the states for such a thing. It's small, it's 3G build out is even smaller then AT&T's. However Google is smart and they know they don't need a short term strategy, they already have plenty of cash. Long term it's smart for Google to stay in the business of developing Android and providing it free to manufactures.

More Android devices in more peoples hands means Google has a larger market for what it really makes it's money off of.....Advertisements.

Last edited:

dep

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Agreed about the hype. I have friends working for Google that have just today gotten their Google Phones. In grilling them with questions, pretty much all they've confirmed that it's, indeed, just another piece of hardware running Android 2.1. 5 megapixel camera, just like the droid too. Now that the real news about the "Google Phone" have been leaking out, I have been yawning more and more. Especially given the newest GSM news (AT&T / T-Mobile only? Lame. They both suck).

So the phone went from being this magical device with a custom UI and all this whimsy to a HTC android device for AT&T / T-mobile. Again, yawn.

barkerja

Aug 31, 2009
Visit site
Exactly and we will probably get it. I am going to guess the OTA update for the Droid in January will be for 2.1?

Not necessarily.. I mean it's possible I would assume but not guaranteed. This build of 2.1 is apparently specific to the "Google phone" and may not be available to other handsets.

But again ... this is all just speculation.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Not necessarily.. I mean it's possible I would assume but not guaranteed. This build of 2.1 is apparently specific to the "Google phone" and may not be available to other handsets.

But again ... this is all just speculation.

Yeah I see what your saying, but eventually newer Android phones will come with newer versions of the Android OS. It's not like they will stop everyone at 2.0.1

barnettj

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I am with T-Mobile. I have the G1. But I am excited just to see TMO will be getting new Android phones. I do love the G1, but I am definitely ready for an upgrade.

SleepyAndroid

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Say what you want about the phone not being special or unique, it is loads beyond any other Android device available for TMobile. That alone is enough. I am sick of crappy processor G1.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Say what you want about the phone not being special or unique, it is loads beyond any other Android device available for TMobile. That alone is enough. I am sick of crappy processor G1.

I don't think anyone is saying it's not special to TMobile, but if everything stays as is with this device, it's by no means special to the Android platform or array of Android devices available on all networks.

graymulligan

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
<yawn> more hysteria over vaporware.

I love how we have an entire section focused on a phone that is in development. It's another phone with android, and a very similar form factor to whats out there, aside from the droid's physical keyboard. Wake me up when there's story.