Touchscreen doesn't work when charging

Jeremy Musgraves

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
What is a 3 plugs charger??? If you're talking about the standard 2 flat pins with the larger round grounding plug, that would explain a lot, as we've already figured out it was a grounding issue, and the cheaper chargers aren't properly grounded to the neutral plug.

I've noticed this issue at a specific hotel at which I stay frequently for work. Using the charger that I use at home (and several other hotels) without issue. I have to assume it is an electrical issue related to specific outlets and not my device (galaxy S3). I would, however, be interested to know if this issue exists on any other smartphone OS. It is a very strangle malfunction.

Beth Terry

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm so glad to have found this forum! I couldn't for the life of me figure out why sometimes Swype works great and why sometimes it acts freakish... within a matter of minutes. I never realized it was only freaking out when charging. That's it exactly. I just tested and tested, plugging in and unplugging. Nothing else to contribute except eternal thanks!!!

Beth Terry

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
And this also explains why I can't do my unlock pattern in the morning and Lookout keeps sending me photos of myself because it thinks someone's trying to break into my phone. I just thought my fingers didn't work when I was tired. :)

Isaiah Robinson

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
I've noticed a very annoying tendency for the touchscreen to malfunction when the phone is plugged in and charging.

Either the screen will be completely unresponsive, or will just act a fool. For instance, when I would try to use Swype, it will be allll over the place, not giving me anything close to what I meant to input.

Is this a known/common problem? Any fixes? At first I thought it might be a problem with SetCPU, since I've heard it can cause some quirks, but the problem has persisted even since I uninstalled everything.

FWIW, I'm running rooted, on ViperRom 3.03, with LauncherPro.

Isaiah Robinson

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
I have the same issue with my ZTE Promax. It's pretty new to the market and uses the new Type C port charging plug. Im beginning to believe that companies are allowing this to happen so people won't use there phones while it's charging. This would extend the amount of time typical phone's lifespan would have.