TowelRooted. I can see entire internal disk on ES File Explorer. Why can't linked laptop see them?

androidmatcha

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I used TowelRoot to root my Samsung Tab4 8.0. I have not inserted any external SD card.

With the ES File Explorer app, I can see every file and folder on my Tab's internal disk:

Including these folders: acct, cache, config, d, data, data_1, dev, efs, etc, firmware, mnt, proc, root, sbin, sdcard, sys, system.
Screenshot_2014-11-28-15-08-16.png

But when I connect my Tab4 to my laptop, I only see stuff in the "Tablet" folder, which is another word for "sdcard".
Screenshot from 2014-11-28 15:09:58.png
Screenshot from 2014-11-28 15:06:33.png

Why is it that I cannot access all the folders when I'm using my laptop? Why can I only see the Tablet (aka sdcard) folder?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
ES File Explorer is running as the user named root (which is what rooting is all about). The computer, when you plug the phone in and look at Phone, is running as a normal user (from the phone's viewpoint). Run adb, run su, run shell, then use cd and ls (learn to use the Linux terminal commands) and you'll be able to see the entire internal storage of the phone on the computer - and transfer files back and forth.

androidmatcha

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
rukbat, thanks for your reply. On an older Android version, I think all I had to do was in turn on USB debugging on the Android. From the Linux side, I didn't have to use the terminal; I could use the graphical file explorer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuzuboiii